More Beach Wildlife

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
No sign of the little ones today, swans or falcons. Lots of people watching the falcons though, must be nice to have that much time on your hands.

Sharla1

Oct 15, 2009
We've had liftoff at both nests within the last couple of days. Lady Lamont from the lift bridge has taken her first flight and Thomson has taken his first flight from the downtown nest. Both were recued and both are doing fine.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
We've had liftoff at both nests within the last couple of days. Lady Lamont from the lift bridge has taken her first flight and Thomson has taken his first flight from the downtown nest. Both were recued and both are doing fine.
They do have a lot of spectators watching for them, so they are in good hands.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Update

Both of the young falcons are doing fine, I don't know which one this is;

The swans are down to five from the original eight, could be the coyotes?

And the Night Herons on Eastport are just starting out with young ones, really late compared to the rest of the birds;
You can see them hiding from me in the nest;

Sharla1

Oct 15, 2009
That is probably Lady Nelson. I heard Lady Lamont went awol.

Great pics Scotto. :)

Here is some news on Truss that was hatched on the liftbridge.

Bill and I have spent some time over the last few days at the Brampton Court House helping out with the Fledge Watch. We thought you might be interested to see a current photo of Truss and her baby Courtney. She is a troubled child. Two rescues in 3 days and one from the top of an unmarked police cruiser in the parking lot of the Police Station on the West side of Hurontario Street. It never gets easy. Today, Truss is a beauty. What a thrill to see one of our Burlington Lift Bridge girls go on to raise a family of her own.

I forgot to post the link so people can see the pics.

http://www.peregrine-foundation.ca/w/c/sightings/burlington-lift-bridge/

Last edited:

Sharla1

Oct 15, 2009
Lady Nelson was last seen by the volunteers on July 19th. But yes it sure won't be long now till they fly off to a new life elsewhere.

Sharla1

Oct 15, 2009
Very cool Scotto.

On the rbg trails they are usually fairly friendly and can hand feed them.

If you want to keep it around try feeding it a suet cake. They love those. I used to put out suet cakes in my yard and had them around a lot then.

One bird I was surprised to see my yard last summer was a cedar waxwing. Usually only see those in a forest area. And I was surpised it came so close to my house. It landed on my patio door stoop.

Last edited:

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Very cool Scotto.

On the rbg trails they are usually fairly friendly and can hand feed them.

If you want to keep it around try feeding it a suet cake. They love those. I used to put out suet cakes in my yard and had them around a lot then.

One bird I was surprised to see my yard last summer was a cedar waxwing. Usually only see those in a forest area. And I was surpised it came so close to my house. It landed on my patio door stoop.
I have noticed a few new birds coming in to the Beach in recent years, use to seeing just the same ones year after year and when a new one come along I would like to know what they are.
And the falcons are not around much or they are hiding, maybe it's too hot to just fly around and bother the other birds?

Sharla1

Oct 15, 2009
It was funny one day I heard this very strange bird call outside my house. It was a bird I had never heard before. And I used to be very into bird watching in the past but had no clue what that call was. So I got up to look out to see what it was. Here it was a mockingbird perched on the wire. No idea what it was mimicking.

I wonder if it's from the global warming bringing different birds into certain areas.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
I have spotted many mockingbirds in the last couple of years and yes, they don't shut up. Another bird that I have never seen until recently.
There is a picture of one a few pages back.

Top Bottom