2020 Beach Garage Sale; Cancelled

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
I have been getting a few emails concerning this year's Garage Sale, after much discussion, we have decided that it would be irresponsible to let the event be held this year considering the on going pandemic.

We have contacted the City and received this message from Councillor Collins;

I’ll get official confirmation re the status of garage sales across the city. I was also planning to rent two mobile signs to install at each end of the Beach (similar to what I do for community clean ups) advertising something to the effect of: 2020 ANNUAL BEACH GARAGE SALE CANCELLED

I’ll also inquire with our bylaw staff about special weekend enforcement. I have a motion going to council this week seeking funds for two bylaw staff (students) to enforce trail activity (5 days a week, including weekends). They’ll have the ability to write tickets and issue trespass notices if need be. If my motion passes we could use these students for garage sale day. They’ll be on bikes.

As soon as I get more information I’ll pass along to you.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
From the City;

Good afternoon Councillor, attached please find a copy of the door knocker for the door-to-door campaign. The content has been reviewed and approved by staff in MLE and PHS. The target is to begin delivering these the first week of July. Information is being provided to be included in Thursday’s public town hall and Friday’s media conference (as well as the media conferences/releases to follow leading up to July 10) .

Attachments

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Posted with permission from the Hamilton Spectator

Annual Beach Strip Garage Sale cancelled, yard sales permitted, says city

By Fallon HewittSpectator Reporter
Fri., June 26, 2020
As yard sale season gets a late start in Hamilton, city officials are warning that COVID-19 measures and rules are still being advised — and enforced.
Paul Johnson, director of Hamilton’s Emergency Operations Centre, said Friday that, while garage sales are not prohibited under the province’s emergency order, they are not being encouraged.
“Our encouragement right now is that this may not be the best activity to enter into at this particular moment in the pandemic,” said Johnson, noting that the city has fielded a number of questions about whether or not they were allowed.

There are currently no provincial guidelines on how residents should go about hosting a yard sale amid the pandemic.
Johnson said the city understands that spring and summer is usually a time that sees bargain hunters and thrifters come out of hibernation as people line their lawns and driveways with stuff they hope to sell.

And with “all the at-home time that we’ve all had,” where people cleaned out their houses, he said it’s likely people will want to bring back the summer tradition.
But, he said those that do choose to host a yard sale are still “responsible” for the number of people that show up on their front lawns, as that would be considered a gathering.

As per provincial orders, gatherings of more than 10 people are still prohibited as of Friday.

If caught not controlling the crowd, Johnson said residents could get a “visit” from a bylaw officer, which could result in fines of up to $750 issued to each person.
As of Thursday, the city had handed out at least 28 tickets for gatherings of five or more people, according to its most recent numbers.
Beach Strip sale a no go
Johnson announced Friday that the Beach Strip Garage Sale has also been cancelled this year.

The annual event, which takes place on the second weekend of July, usually draws hundreds if not thousands of bargain hunters to the city, he added.

City staff have been working with the community and residents of the area who have agreed that it is “not the year” to host the event.
Johnson said the city will also be “actively enforcing” to ensure it does not go forward in any capacity.
“It’s just best to not push the envelope,” he said. “Another summer we’ll be back at it at the Beach Strip I’m sure.”

Fallon Hewitt
is a Hamilton-based reporter at The Spectator. Reach her via email: fhewitt@thespec.com

https://www.thespec.com/news/hamilt...cancelled-yard-sales-permitted-says-city.html

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Yard sales in Hamilton are permitted, but crowds can't be bigger than 10
CBC
"While I can't say today they are banned, I can say if lots of people are showing up you are responsible for ensuring you do not host a gathering of more than 10 people," said Paul Johnson, director of the city's emergency operations centre.

Those who don't follow the rules could get a "visit" from a bylaw officer that ends with a ticket, he added during a media update Friday.

Despite the lack of a provincial order barring yard sales the city is telling people they might not be the "best activity" right now, even though people stuck at home have likely had more time to clean up and collect items they might want to offload.

Read whole article;
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hami...fvHA26zxMahBrxfg9MFlL0GFqcyCgFFbStUnt59um-q_k

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Yesterday, the City has installed signs at each end of the Strip;
Sale2020.JPG

Top Bottom