991 Beach Blvd...

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Scott, were there ever any other log houses on the beach? either built on site, or moved from other locations?

The other, I only have a shot of the log siding as the rest of the house has been covered in with some additions over the years. I believe it was built there and is one of the older houses on the Beach.

Collings

Dec 24, 2004
Winnipeg
Hello David,
We were told that the house was moved sometime around 1916-1920.. I have no idea who paid for the move, or when it became a gentlemans club..My parents bought it in approximately 1961, we lived there until 1970..
My understanding is that the house was relocated to some sort of a pioneer village..

Collings

Dec 24, 2004
Winnipeg
Photo of 991 Beach Blvd.

Here is a picture we have in the family archives of our former home. I remember it had a stone flower garden in the front yard, and the tracks and sand dunes right out back. Every room had a door leading to the outside.

Elise (Collings) Leung

(Edit, our site was hacked and most pictures were removed, I have added two to replace Elise's donation, hopefully one is the right one, Scott.)
Both of these pictures are correctly, they are from different era’s..The white car visible in the first picture is a 1949 Riley, my fathers car which lets me date that picture to the early 1960’s..

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Hello David,
We were told that the house was moved sometime around 1916-1920.. I have no idea who paid for the move, or when it became a gentlemans club..My parents bought it in approximately 1961, we lived there until 1970..
My understanding is that the house was relocated to some sort of a pioneer village..
Hi Collings, good to hear from you again.
I actually drove along the shore of Lake Erie looking for something that would resemble your old house (log cabin) and had no luck. That was many years ago, a Google Earth search could find more now.

Last edited:

Collings

Dec 24, 2004
Winnipeg
I wonder if records of the land transfers held by the city might shed some light on what happened to rhe house. After I finished high school in Nova Scotia in 1973 I returned to the Beach Strip and got room & board in my old bedroom (!)... and worked in Stoney Creek for a few months.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
I wonder if records of the land transfers held by the city might shed some light on what happened to rhe house. After I finished high school in Nova Scotia in 1973 I returned to the Beach Strip and got room & board in my old bedroom (!)... and worked in Stoney Creek for a few months.
There were a lot of houses removed back in the 70-80's on the Beach, I doubt there was much recording of what was done, but your place would of been the only one that was moved.
And I use to live near there and I don't recall if it was torn down or not.
It could of been demolished and taken away in a day, but moving the whole house would of taken a lot of preparation, I just don't remember seeing that.

Collings

Dec 24, 2004
Winnipeg
I sent an enquiry to the Hamilton City Clerks office..here is the reply I received..

Thank you for contacting the Office of the City Clerk. Please be advised that Hamilton's Land Registry Office can provide assistance in locating the history of a property. They can be reached at 905-521-7561. For a small fee they can give you a land abstract showing a history of ownership of the property.

You may also wish to contact the Hamilton Public Library for local history and archives at the link below:

http://lha.hpl.ca/articles/contact-us

As your email mentions a pioneer village you may be referring to the Westfield Heritage Village, which does have a number of log dwellings. Attached is a link to their website.

https://westfieldheritage.ca/

I hope the above will assist you in your search.

Katie Carson for Magda Harpula
Administrative Assistant II to the City Clerk
City of Hamilton
905 546-2424 ext. 5485
magda.harpula@hamilton.ca

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
I sent an enquiry to the Hamilton City Clerks office..here is the reply I received..

As your email mentions a pioneer village you may be referring to the Westfield Heritage Village, which does have a number of log dwellings. Attached is a link to their website.

https://westfieldheritage.ca/
Very interesting as I have never heard of this place, though well worth a visit, I looked through their gallery and didn't see your log house but they have 35 buildings. Could be there.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip

maggie

Sep 25, 2014
Does anyone know what happened to 991 Beach Blvd.?...I grew up in that house - 1959-1970...I hope it wasn't simply demolished as there was a bit of history in those walls....

Bob Collings, Winnipeg
I was born in that log cabin back in 1960. It was torn down.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
I was born in that log cabin back in 1960. It was torn down.
I didn't know that, I assume there aren't any pictures?
To add, on the insurance map from 1900, there is a Knockabout Club listed on the Burlington side close to where Willow Ave is now located. Could just be another house as the outline of the building doesn't match the log cabin photos.

Knockabout.jpg

maggie

Sep 25, 2014
Apparently when they were about to tear it down they offered it to the various pioneer settlements around the area including Toronto and nobody wanted it so they tore it down and scrapped it. Shame.... no, sorry, don't have any pictures of it.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Apparently when they were about to tear it down they offered it to the various pioneer settlements around the area including Toronto and nobody wanted it so they tore it down and scrapped it. Shame.... no, sorry, don't have any pictures of it.
As I wrote back in 2018, I am sure that I would of noticed if the house was moved as it would of taken at least a week to get it ready to transport. Thanks for the clarification.

Top Bottom