Salt Storm(starting) 2012

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Two ship loads of salt were dropped off this weekend, before Fridays (July 24th) shipment was dropped off the large pile that is closest to our community had the tarp removed but load was deposited on the harbour side of the uncovered pile.
July24.JPG

The next shipment came in Sunday morning and again it was not placed with the large open pile.
July26.JPG

During the whole weekend the piles were open and there were moderate winds out of the west at around 40km. Just to show how much the salt moves around while unloading, in the above picture the rear of the ship is relatively clean, when finished unloading and leaving the rear of the ship is covered with what looks like salt. Too many times these piles have impacted our community, yet nothing gets done.
July26b.JPG

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
On Wednesday August 18th the salt company started to move part of a large pile closer to the north end of Pier 26.
Aug18.JPG
Aug18b.JPG

On Thursday the 19th, the piles were left uncovered with no noticeable work being done.
Aug19.JPG

The large pile that was moved was left uncovered for the day of August 20th and finally covered on the 21st. Notice that harbour is not as calm as the day before, indicating that it was quite breezy that day.
Aug20.JPG

Last edited:

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Last night a load of salt was dropped off on Eastport Drive last night (August 27th), even though there were only light winds, we were still impacted.
First picture shows the open salt pile and the ship getting ready to unload more salt.
Aug27.JPG

The next two show two cars with a light dusting of a what looks like salt, one was from Clare Ave and the other from a couple streets north.
The first picture is my car which was washed the day before.
Aug28b.JPG
Aug28.JPG

On October 5th another ship load of salt was delivered to Eastport Drive, this is another pile that will be slowly loaded onto trucks next winter from piles that will left open and cause damage to our properties.
Oct5.JPG

Last edited:

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
In the last few weeks I have noticed that after high winds my property and vehicles have been covered with a white blotchy substance which looks like salt. The piles on Eastport Dr. are covered, but the QEW isn't using Salters yet. This is my back patio door which was clean yesterday.

Nov17.JPG

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
We have had a few impacts over the last month which have been reported to the MOE, but with the Christmas break here, the Port salt tenant has decided not to cover a salt pile for the holidays. A Christmas lump of coal to the Port and it's tenant.
Middle pile on December 24th;
Dec24.JPG

Dec24b.JPG

And today with an overnight storm, Christmas 2020;
Dec25.JPG

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Piles still not covered, this is my windshield which is covered with a salt looking substance. Due to the lockdown, my vehicle has had very little use and has mostly been parked in my driveway.
Dec27.JPG

A shot of the still open pile from today;
Dec27b.JPG

The blue arrow points to what looks like some possible damage to another larger pile.
Dec27c.JPG

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Last weekend I notice some minor salt looking substance on my vehicle, checking the piles on Eastport showed that the large middle pile was left open, trucks are not loaded on the weekends.
This picture was taken on January 10th.
Jan10.JPG

This weekend was the same, I had my vehicle at the car-wash on Friday and it was, once again, covered with a white salt like substance on Saturday morning.
Jan16.JPG

The same pile left open again;
Jan16a.JPG

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
There are high wind warnings on the news for today, the sign on the QEW asks that you slow down due to severe winds, but the salt piles are wide open.
March1.JPG

There are two tarps covering the piles, there is a white tarp covered by a black tarp. Notice that the white is also not covering the pile.
March1a.JPG

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Picture posted by the Port showing and load of Gypsum being unloaded beside our community last Wednesday (24th), in the background you can see the open salt pile.
164600718_5232960776745653_5900853936690538497_o.jpg

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
A City meeting on March 24th, 2021 had the Port president speak in a zoom meet. The plans for the Hamilton area are talked about, but at the 3.37 minute mark, Chad Collins asks Ian Hamilton about the salt issue. Ian states that it is an issue but it has gotten much better.
I had salt on my vehicle everyday in last couple of weeks when the wind was out of the west.

https://pub-hamilton.escribemeeting....aspx?Id=37810b25-95ba-466d-b507-d9d0893cdd95

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
This should show that the Port has no plans to stop the salt impact on our community in the near future, a new load was delivered at night on May 7th first one of the year.
May8.JPG

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Another load of salt was unloaded on May 29 and checking the next day, the pile was not covered. The wind direction for most of the weekend was out of the east, therefore no impact to our community, but the winds are forecast to turn back around to the west overnight on Sunday. The pile should of been covered right away after the ship unloaded.
May 29
May29.JPG

May 30
May30.JPG

On June 1st the pile that was dropped off on May 29th was slowly moved to a larger pile, many residents from the street directly across from pile (Grafton) complain of impacts to their properties.
June1e.JPG

June1d.JPG

June1c.JPG

June1b.JPG
June1a.JPG

Edit;
July 7th;
We finally got back some test results from the June 1st impact. The one report Grafton Ave impact shows that out of 35 randomly selected particles analyzed, 12 were likely NaCl (Salt). This was a low impact hit compared to many over the years, but still shows that we get salt on our properties in the summer months and that the Port has never had this issue under control.

Attachments

Last edited:

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Another pile unloaded on June 6th, I stopped over on Eastport and noticed that it was quite gusty, so no surprise that there was a salt looking substance all over my car this morning.
The first picture was taken from the top of Knapman Ave, the pile is easily seen over the QEW wall.
June6.JPG

Unloading on Eastport.
June6b.JPG

Notice the white line under my wipers.
June7.jpg

Another ship load was added on June 11, this pile is now enormous and now will be removed one truck load at a time.
June11.JPG

Last edited:

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Another ship load of salt was delivered over the weekend (July 4th) and after the last few loads, this looks like the most salt I have even seen on Eastport. Each of these piles now have to be delivered locally one truck at a time leaving our community open to more damage from the impacts of salt on our vehicles and properties.
July4.JPG

From the Beach Blvd side showing just how close these piles are. Unloading at the end of Knapman's Ave.
July4b.JPG

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Using my car this morning, I noticed white blotches all over my windshield which I believe to be salt. Checking back over the last few days, the salt company moved the last pile that was delivered on July 4th to another pile one scoop at a time. Lucky for our community the winds were light and I didn't notice any impact until today.
Starting on July 12th the last pile that was delivered is uncovered;
July12b.JPG

Then moved to the larger pile;
July12c.JPG
July12.JPG

July 13th, the move is completed but left uncovered.
July13.JPG

Morning of July 14th, the pile is still uncovered.
July14b.JPG

I stopped by Harry's for some wings, I pointed out to many people how close these piles are to the residents on the Beach, one patron lives in the house at the end of Rembe Ave, on the right.
July14.JPG

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
My wife spent all weekend (September 4th & 5th) doing a cleaning of the windows, patio furniture and our car. Sunday (5th) afternoon I noticed light dusting on our car and patio table, then it just got worst. The car, house windows and patio table were spotless. Checking Eastport there was a ship unloading gypsum on Pier 26 which is directly behind my street, for a change it wasn’t salt. I have attached a picture of our patio table from today showing the mess left after it getting covered in the afternoon then we a light rain in the evening. Also the impact to my car can be easily seen under my windshield wipers, all our house windows have a white film all over them.
This incident has been added to our Community Council site as it might be deleted due to not being a salt related impact.
Ship unloading on Eastport;
Sept5b.JPG

My windshield;
Sept5.JPG

Patio Table;
Sept6.JPG

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
I borrowed my co-workers vehicle on Friday (17th) night and took it back to work on Saturday (18th) morning. Inspecting his vehicle when arriving, I notice it was covered with a white substance. The first picture is from his vehicle.
After leaving work on Saturday I checked my car which was also covered along with my patio, this substance was everywhere.
I checked a couple of other side streets and Grandville Ave was just as bad. The picture labelled Sept18e shows resident's Mustang which is obviously covered.
Grafton Ave wasn’t as bad, but checking south from Clare, this white substance could be seen as far as Arden Ave.
Sept18a.jpg
Sept18c.JPG
Sept18d.JPG
Sept18e.JPG

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Had my car washed on Thursday 21st due to impacts from the past days even though there was two days of constant rain coming. Checking my car this morning (24th) there was a white blotchy substance all over it.
Sept24th.JPG

Once again on October 2nd, I came out to an unknown substance all over my vehicle, I did report this to the MOE.
Oct02.JPG
Oct02b.JPG

Last edited:
Top Bottom