Councillor Chad Collins Report May 2008

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
LAKEFRONT COMMUNITY EDITION

PUBLIC INFORMATION CENTRE
Residents are invited to attend a Public Information Centre on the East Hamilton Trail and Waterfront Link that will bring many new enhancements to Hamilton's east end recreational trail system. Staff will be on hand to answer questions and provide detailed drawings for the trail system and pedestrian bridge structure over the Queen Elizabeth Way.
The East End Recreational Trail System involves:
* A Red Hill Valley trail extension to the waterfront from Barton Street
* Waterfront link (pedestrian bridge over the QEW)
* Outdoor recreational facilities (soccer field, picnic area & multi-use court)
* Ecological restoration - rehabilitation plantings in the former Rennie and Brampton landfill sites adjacent to the trail
* Interpretive signage
Date: Tuesday, June 10th, 2008
Time: 7:00 pm to 9:00 pm
Project details will be made available on the City's Project website as they become available: www.hamilton.ca/rhvp.

NEW BLUE BOX NEEDED?
My office has received a number of requests to replace blue boxes that were lost or damaged during the winter months. If your home requires a new blue box, please contact my office and I will deliver one to your home.

FORMER DYNES PROPERTY DEVELOPMENT
I recently met with Hamilton Beach Preservation Committee members and Branthaven Homes representatives (owners of the former Dynes property) to view and discuss their development plans for the property. The proposed plan shows 52 townhouse units, with three commercial properties along Beach Boulevard. The commercial units will be zoned for neighbourhood amenity type uses (such as a restaurant or office space). The townhomes will be 2 & 3 bedroom units ranging from approximately 1060-1400 square feet. The site plan will include a central walkway/promenade from the waterfront trail to Beach Blvd. The owners plan to submit their rezoning application shortly. A
public notice will be posted on site advising of the meeting date, time and location. For your information I've attached a draft schematic of the plan.

SALE OF BEACH BLVD LOTS
On May 9th, I presented a motion to the City's Planning and Economic Development Committee to initiate the sale of the remaining building lots and remnant parcels of land in the Beach Community. The motion was approved by the committee and subsequently ratified by Council. The advertisement and sale of all of the properties will take approximately 18 months. I will send regular notices to the neighbourhood to keep you apprised of our progress.

DIEPPE VETERAN'S MEMORIAL PARK
In January, City Council approved the permanent closure of a portion of the road allowance on Manor Avenue to facilitate the planned construction of the parking lot area at Dieppe Veteran's Memorial Park. The parking lot will be asphalt paved with concrete curbs and a sidewalk from Beach Blvd. to the Hamilton Beach Trail. The lot will have 6 regular stalls plus 3 designated stalls for persons with disabilities. The construction contract requires the successful bidder to complete the work in time for the memorial service to be held August 19th, 2008.

E-NEWSLETTERS
Starting May of 2008 my office will regularly produce and distribute E-Newsletters (email updates). The E-Newsletter updates will be distributed on a regular basis to hundreds of homes across the ward. The articles contained in the report are produced through my office. To receive the E-Newsletter updates please email my office. Please note that the Ward 5 - Redhill office website is online and operational, but still under construction. Visit www.chadcollins.ca to access the site.

QUESTIONS, COMMENTS, QUERIES...
If you have questions or comments regarding the content of this report please do not hesitate to contact me at City Hall (905-546-2716), my home (905-545-3737) or by email: ccollins@hamilton.ca. Please note, my office has temporarily located at 77 James St. North, Suite 230, Hamilton. The office will relocate to our former location at 71 Main Street West upon completion of the City Hall renovation project.

Top Bottom