Pics of VanWagners and QEW

JodithPWorld

Jun 1, 2006
Thornhill, Ontario
First off to everyone else, thanks for having me on your board.

I was emailing Scotto, one of the admins here. I told him that I've run across the forums and galleries over the last couple of days. I'm most interested the history of the Hamilton/Burlington QEW corridor.

I was asking him where I could find images posted or on-line of the QEW and Van Wagners. I've been looking mostly for for close-ups of the former traffic circle at Hwy # 20, and the construction of the current Burlington Street interchange.

Now Scott, you mentioned that there was the Van Wagners Beach Society? Where are they located, because I'll pursue that too.

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

JodithPWorld

Jun 1, 2006
Thornhill, Ontario
I Got It!

Hi Scotto!

Yes I did receive it last night. And by the way, yes, if anyone has pics to share, by all means do, and I promise to do the same. Don't go to any trouble though - just at your leisure.

:eek:

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
JodithPWorld said:
Hi Scotto!

Yes I did receive it last night. And by the way, yes, if anyone has pics to share, by all means do, and I promise to do the same. Don't go to any trouble though - just at your leisure.

That's great because I didn't remember what I wrote. I have re-uploaded the Van Wagner's pictures that I had posted and for more on Burlington Street, check with member Crawfish. I believe that he was part of the construction and he also likes to take pictures. The link below shows one post of the hydro towers being raised to allow Burlington Street access to the QEW.

http://hamiltonbeachcommunity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=362

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
I don't know if this one helps, member Crawfish thinks it taken from a position just west of the QEW and looking towards Hamilton along the old Beach Road. He may be able to explain further as I'm still not real clear where he took this great picture. As you may know, Beach Road connected to the Beach where Lakeland Centre now stands.
Thanks again to Crawfish.

JodithPWorld

Jun 1, 2006
Thornhill, Ontario
I Think I Know Where It Is!

If you look at the right side of the road grading, you can see the modern day Windermere Road (it now comes to a dead end). It appears we are just at the foot of where the current Burlington Street elevated road now stands. I would bet that we'd be standing underneath the current Woodward Street overpass, facing towards Parkdale.

How did I do Crawfish?
:tbu:

Crawfish

Dec 1, 2004
Longueuil, Quebec
I just had another look and I remember that there was a scrap yard there owned by the Waxman family. You can see the piles of scrap behind the fence and a couple of derricks used for moving the stuff around.

JodithPWorld

Jun 1, 2006
Thornhill, Ontario
This Is Terrific!

See this is EXACTLY the kind of stuff I'm looking for.

I see that the raised hydro towers are no longer there. They were replaced with the tall ones that have the V-shaped conductors. This is outstanding Crawfish.

You must tell me how I can meet you, bring over a 24-case of brown-pop, and drool over your picture collection. Now if I can find pics of the Burlington Street/QEW overpass being built, or newly finished.

I hope you realize that I GREATLY appreciate this Crawfish. You're a true gentleman.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Jody;
When time permits, I can look through the pictures I have of that end of the Beach and Van Wagner's. As for Burlington Street, you should have a look at Hamilton Public Library's special collections section. It is located on the third floor at the Central Branch, huge selection of great pictures from long ago. I'm sure they would take Crawfish's albums. :tbu:

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Attached are a couple more, thanks to Beach resident Bill Pennell.
The first one shows Woodward Ave before Burlington Street was even thought of. You would be looking east in this one towards the Beach and beside only being farmland back then on both sides, you can see the corner of the water pumping station.
The second was taken at the start of Hurricane Hazel, the trees you can see bending over across from Lakeland pool were gone after the storm.

Top Bottom