July 2007. The Dynes Tavern bites the dust.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Posted with full permission from the Hamilton Spectator.

Daniel Hayduk, the Hamilton Spectator
July 2007. The Dynes Tavern bites the dust.

August 01, 2007
The Hamilton Spectator
(Aug 1, 2007)
As legend has it, the Dynes was the longest continually operating tavern in Canada.

It opened on the Beach Strip in 1847 as a hotel and tavern under the ownership of John Dynes. Since then, generations of Beach residents have visited the watering hole, which was known for inspiring more than a few marriages.

The Dynes saw its best times more than a hundred years ago. It thrived around the turn of the century when the Beach Strip was a popular resort community with cottages and an amusement park.

Over the decades, the Dynes has evolved with the community, undergoing a series of renovations. Every few years it was reborn, often under new ownership, but none of the ventures returned the Dynes to its glory days.

It wasn't until Boxing Day 2002 that the tavern closed its doors for the first time. Until then, not even a fire was enough to stop the drinks from flowing.

According to folklore, John Dynes's ghost would still come down for a beer at night if the door to the attic was left open.

The Dynes property is now slated to become a housing development by Branthaven Homes. Several dozen homes are planned, along with a commercial element

Jun28_zpsvx77f46f.jpg

My last aerial photo of the Dynes;

Dynes06_zps6chgsnbs.jpg

Last edited:
Damn shame, This is the first I heard about it. When I was 10,11,12 I played baseball for the Dynes team in behind the orginal grocery store, I think the owner was Mr Ryan. we kidded him about being Mr Drucker from petty coat Juntion, there was a canvas shop there in the past few years, Hard to think of the beach strip with out Dynes, even when the ammusment park at the canal went and the FT long Hot dogs and the sand bar for 100 yrds out, just over the track and the rumble between Hell angles and red devils. alot has passed time to reflect. Gary

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Damn shame, This is the first I heard about it. When I was 10,11,12 I played baseball for the Dynes team in behind the orginal grocery store, I think the owner was Mr Ryan. we kidded him about being Mr Drucker from petty coat Juntion, there was a canvas shop there in the past few years, Hard to think of the beach strip with out Dynes, even when the ammusment park at the canal went and the FT long Hot dogs and the sand bar for 100 yrds out, just over the track and the rumble between Hell angles and red devils. alot has passed time to reflect. Gary
Yes it is a shame, but someone thought condos would look better there instead of our Dynes (boooo), constrution will be starting soon on the condo project and when its done we will have a new beach meeting place as one of the front units will be a resturant.

As for Ryans, there also use to be an ice rink back there every winter, that was fun.
Check this thread, there is an older picture that shows Ryans, the barber shop and the canvas place.
http://hamiltonbeachcommunity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=79&highlight=canvas+shop
BTW, the motorcycle club is still here, but not the Dynes.

moondoggie

Apr 13, 2008
There were 4 ball teams that played behind the Drug Store at that time. Dynes sponsored one team and the Esso Gas Station sponsored another. I can't remember the other teams

Top Bottom