Dining out on a Dynes legend

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Posted with full permission from the Hamilton Spectator.

The Dynes Tavern had a long history on the Lake Ontario Beach Strip in Hamilton. First built in 1846 it was a hotel.

The Hamilton Spectator
(Aug 7, 2007)
With the Dynes Tavern gone, founder John Dynes's ghost must really need a beer. The legendary Beach Strip saloon fell last week, making way for a housing development. But when we say "legendary," what made it a legend?

Well, consider the following:

* The Dynes family were among the first settlers on the beach, and received a grant of Crown land to build a grist mill. They gave out land to folks willing to live in an area overrun with wildlife, effectively settling the Beach Strip.

* John Dynes opened the Dynes Hotel in 1846, which by the 1890s was famous across Ontario for its crowds, and 500-person wild duck dinners selling for just 25 cents a piece. It was a landmark before the Beach Strip became a draw.

* An 1886 fire at the Dynes was so fierce that a crowd kept their distance, fearing that loaded guns inside would go off. It burned to the ground, but was rebuilt after the blaze.

* John Dynes, along with a pal by the name of Van Wagner, were famous sailors in the 1900s. Dynes's boat, Blacksnake, was reportedly the fastest on Lake Ontario.

* So many Hamiltonians tried to attend the second annual beach day 90 years ago this week, that the city added extra radial cars. Still, hundreds were left standing downtown, waiting for a ride to the Dynes Hotel. It hosted a road race, hydroplane, midway, and more.

* Dynes (1817-1899) was eulogized as "one of the best-known road house keepers in this part of the country ..."

* Many years later, before it closed in 2002, his rebuilt tavern became famous for replicating down-home Ottawa Valley country music dances. And for biker nights.

Photo- SPECIAL TO THE HAMILTON SPECTATOR, At left, bartending and wait staff in 1950.

Dynesold_zpsxcwwgnxr.jpg

rbaker.1

Dec 4, 2006
Yes I remember it all.
On a summer night you could smell the beer a half mile away. Took many a lady there for a quick one many times. The beer was good and it only took a few to make the nights refreshment.
Am I getting old or what.

Rae

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Took many a lady there for a quick one many times.

Rae
Rae;
(I better take that out)
I kinda miss being able to stop in for a quick one, maybe someone will build another watering spot.

The beer was good and it only took a few to make the nights refreshment.
Am I getting old or what.

Rae
As long as you don't know the fellas in the above picture, I wouldn't say you are getting old.

Top Bottom