Skyway Canvas

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
I received a message from the new owners of Skyway Canvas (below) and I thought I would pass it along just in case someone was looking for some canvas work, they did use to be on the Beach.
I have also added a pic from last year when they closed and just notice the Realtor's name, I wonder if that is the Santinis from the Beach???

Hello:

Sorry to tell you but Skyway Canvas is no longer on the Beach. I am the new owner of the business.
We move last year to the mountain (estate sale).

Our new address/contact info is:

Skyway Canvas (we dropped the 'Repairs' from the name)
38 Bigwin Road, Unit 8
Hamilton, ON L8W 3R4
905-544-8547

www.skywaycanvas.com

Attachments

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
I thought that I would use this old thread on the long moved canvas shop as a start to a new one.
There are some new people opening a flower shop(that's what it looks like now) at old canvas place, they cleaned the sign off in front of the store and you can just see the lettering from the original sign.
The best I can make it out to be is "Hamilton United Chain Stores", with"Cash and Carry" below it.
I don't know if this was a sign brought in from elsewhere or that it was acually this store at one time.
Maybe one of the older residents have some memory.

Attachments

Crawfish

Dec 1, 2004
Longueuil, Quebec
Sorry Scotto: I don't remember Skyway Canvas and I don't remember Hamilton United Chain Stores either. Skyway Canvas came along after I left (I think) and I definitely don't remember a chain store on the Beach.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Sorry Scotto: I don't remember Skyway Canvas and I don't remember Hamilton United Chain Stores either. Skyway Canvas came along after I left (I think) and I definitely don't remember a chain store on the Beach.
Thanks Crawfish!
As I wrote earlier, the sign may have another origin other than the Beach.

Drogo

Feb 8, 2005
I was in the sign business for alot of years. That's looks like an original sign that Skyway had covered all those years. Interesting.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
I did little research in the Hamilton United Chain Stores' sign and had very little luck. I checked with Skyway Canvas about the sign and they had no idea and to add, the owner (Joe) who ran the Beach store had passed away since they moved from the Beach. I checked with an author who wrote a section of a Hamilton history book about Carroll's Cash and Carry stores from the early 1900's, she knew nothing of our Hamilton Chain Stores. Next I checked a few select years of the Hamilton Directory at the Hamilton Central Library and found no listing. I checked with a long time neighbour of the store and was told that the sign was added when Skyway Canvas was opened and not just re-used from an old tenant. I also checked with a relative of the old owner who confirmed the neighbour's story.

Top Bottom