4th floor, Suite 400, 77 James Street North
Hamilton, ON L8R 2K3
Telephone (905) 546-2424, ext. 4221
Fax (905) 546-4202

COMMITTEE OF ADJUSTMENT
NOTICE OF PUBLIC HEARING
APPLICATION FOR MINOR VARIANCE
APPLICATION NO.HM/A-08:126
IN THE MATTER OF The Planning Act, 1990 and of the Zoning By-Law No. 6593, of the City of Hamilton, Sections 12C and 19B Schedule S-841.
AND IN THE MATTER OF the Premises known as Municipal number 251 Eastport Drive, in the City of Hamilton and in a "F-3/S-841" (Harbour Use, further amended by By-law 83-240) district;
AND IN THE MATTER OF AN APPLICATION by the agent M. Lacasse on behalf of the owner Hamilton Port Authority, for relief from the provisions of the Zoning By-Law No. 6593, under Section 45 of The Planning Act, R.S.O. 1990, c. P. 13, so as to permit the construction of an 1,858.0m2 manufacturing shop notwithstanding that:
1) A manufacturing shop is not a permitted use within the F-3/S-841 zoning district; and,
2) A maximum height of 20.42m shall be provided instead of the maximum permitted height of 14.0m.
NOTE:
The foregoing variances are as requested by the applicant only. This property is subject to Site Plan Approval. As of this date, a Site Plan Application has been circulated; however, a formal review of the proposed development has not been conducted. Upon such formal review, further variances may be necessary.
TAKE NOTICE that this application will be heard by the Committee as shown below:
DATE: Thursday, May 29th, 2008
TIME: 1:50 p.m.
PLACE: Room 207
Hamilton Convention Centre
If there is any further information you may require on this application please contact this office, at (905) 546-2424, ext. 3935 or 4221.
By order of the Committee of Adjustment,
DATED: May 13th, 2008.
Carol Connor, Secretary-Treasurer
Note: If you wish to be notified of the decision of the Committee in respect of this application, you must submit a written request to the Committee of Adjustment. This will also entitle you to be advised of a possible Ontario Municipal Board hearing. Even if you are the successful party, you should request a copy of the decision since the Committee's decision may be appealed to the Ontario Municipal Board by the applicant or another member of the public.
Note to Applicant: In default of appearance of yourself or of any person duly authorized bv you to appear on your behalf, the Committee may dismiss the application for lack of prosecution.

http://www.myhamilton.ca/NR/rdonlyres/5F057AC6-3C82-4D22-9159-C3D80440D083/0/2008May29agenda.pdf

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Letter from a Beach Resident

RE- Application No. HM/A 08:126 (251 Eastport Dr.)

Dear Committee Members;
Members of the Committee of Adjustment, this application for a "minor" variance must be denied! I don't know what they plan on manufacturing in this area where they don't allow manufacturing but if they need an almost 70 foot high building to do it in because those 45 foot ceilings are just too restrictive there is something drastically wrong here. (Sorry officer, I know the law says maximum 90, but I want you to allow me to do 140, doesn't work for the rest of us). Why even have bylaws to begin with if all you need to do to ignore them is ask?
As a long time Beach Strip resident I think I can speak on behalf of the many members of our community by saying we are all fed up with the nonsense that's been going on for many years now in the east harbour. While the media marvels at all the beautification and increase public access to the west harbour areas, here we chain link fences with locked gates, video surveillance and the assurance that you be pursued like a common criminal should you be a curious observer. Between tanks farms, tanker trucks, piles of dirt, salt and god knows what else, most of the former views of the bay and even the escarpment itself have been blocked off. What does remain visible is leaping flames and plumes of thick smoke drifting towards us in a scene that resembles a war zone. It appears as the though the Port Authority is bound and determined to block every last postage stamp sized area of daylight that is still visible through what is reminiscent of the Berlin Wall more than a gateway to a great city. No wonder the thousands of motorists who pass through our city each day on the Q.E.W. are still given the impression it's the same old Hamilton, the undesirable city.
Not long ago, when Bitumar and affiliated operations were brought into our area, residents were assured that there wouldn't be any odours. There's been plenty of odours. Assured not to worry about the risk of fire. Flames leapt 100 feet into the night sky when there was a serious fire and we feared for our lives. Assured explosions wouldn't be a concern. Then this neighborhood was rocked by a major explosion. When they were seeking approval for their application I wrote several letters and filled in public input comment sheets expressing my adamant opposition to any approvals. My fears and concerns were ignored and approval was granted although soon afterwards virtually all my fears became reality. These are just the incidents that have already happened and I shudder to think of the potential for what could still be to come.
Never mind granting the Port Authority "relief" from following the law; how about for a change granting the Beach residents some "relief" from what we're being asked to endure from our neighbors to the west. Members of the Committee of Adjustment I ask you to do the right thing and deny the application for this 20,000 square foot monstrosity. With all the talk recently about Hamilton moving forward with progressive decisions to become the great city it could be let's not drop the ball and regress back into the dark ages here. Don't be responsible for a decision that would make you want to hang your head in shame for allowing this abuse to continue. In any event please accept my request to be notified of the Committee's decision with respect to this application.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
COMMITTEE OF ADJUSTMENT DECISION OF THE COMMITTEE

APPLICATION NO. HM/A-08:126
SUBMISSION NO. A-126/08
IN THE MATTER OF The Planning Act, 1990 and of the Zoning By-Law No. 6593, of the City of Hamilton, Sections 12C and 19B Schedule S-841.

AND IN THE MATTER OF the Premises known as Municipal number 251 Eastport Boulevard, in the City of Hamilton and in a "F-3/S-841" (Harbour Use, further amended by By-law 83-240) district;

AND IN THE MATTER OF AN APPLICATION, AS AMENDED, by the agent M. Lacasse on behalf of the owner Hamilton Port Authority, for relief from the provisions of the Zoning By-Law No. 6593, under Section 45 of The Planning Act, R.S.O. 1990, c. P. 13, so as to permit the construction of an 1,858.0m2 industrial building for the purpose of a freight water transport industry notwithstanding that a maximum height of 20.42m shall be provided instead of the maximum permitted height of 14.0m.

NOTE:
The foregoing variances are as requested by the applicant only. This property is subject to Site Plan Approval. As of this date, a Site Plan Application has been circulated; however, a formal review of the proposed development has not been conducted. Upon such formal review, further variances may be necessary.

THE DECISION OF THE COMMITTEE IS:
That the said application IS GRANTED for the following reasons:
1. The Committee having regard to the evidence is of the opinion that the relief granted is of a minor nature.
2. The relief granted is desirable for the appropriate development of the land and building and is not inconsistent with the general intent and purpose of the By-law and the Official Plan as referred to in Section 45 of The Planning Act, 1990.
3. The Committee having regard to the evidence is satisfied that there will be no adverse impact on any of the neighbouring lands.

DATED AT HAMILTON this 29th day of May, 2008

Top Bottom