Pictures

ryerson

Mar 14, 2009
There are some excellent pictures on this site of Hamilton in the years gone by, and the Hamilton Post card collection too has some great old shots. Anyone know of any more sites that contain pictures of Hamilton streets and businesses in the twenties-thirties and forties? It is incredible to see how some of the older buildings are still surviving today.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
There are some excellent pictures on this site of Hamilton in the years gone by, and the Hamilton Post card collection too has some great old shots. Anyone know of any more sites that contain pictures of Hamilton streets and businesses in the twenties-thirties and forties? It is incredible to see how some of the older buildings are still surviving today.
You would think the City would have something on their Site, but all I see is listings of the old or historic homes and not much in the way of pictures.
The post card Site seems to cover it all, but that is just post cards. The only place I know of is the Historical section of the Hamilton Public Library, Central branch, 3rd floor. That is where many of the old pictures in our Gallery are from, the rest are from donations.
If anyone finds a site to view old pictures, please let us know.

rbaker.1

Dec 4, 2006
Old Pix

I have some and will dig them out for you'uns
How about Locke St. from Tuckett looking north, I took that one in 1953. and some more. if I can remember where I put them.

Rae Baker

ryerson

Mar 14, 2009
I have some and will dig them out for you'uns
How about Locke St. from Tuckett looking north, I took that one in 1953. and some more. if I can remember where I put them.

Rae Baker
That would be great, you would think there are many pictures of John, James, King, King William and Main and many others floating around as floating around as this was the down town core area.

JodithPWorld

Jun 1, 2006
Thornhill, Ontario
I'm still looking for pics of 1950s to 1970s vintage QEW in the Hamilton, Burlington area. I want to get close ups of the traffic circle. I know that the province has some (Ontario Archives) but they are packed away in storage in Bolton I am told.

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
I'm still looking for pics of 1950s to 1970s vintage QEW in the Hamilton, Burlington area. I want to get close ups of the traffic circle. I know that the province has some (Ontario Archives) but they are packed away in storage in Bolton I am told.

Cheers,
Jody Thornton
I remember the traffic circle, a lot of accidents were caused there. I wonder if member Crawfish would have a picture of that.

JodithPWorld

Jun 1, 2006
Thornhill, Ontario
Traffic Circle

I remember the traffic circle, a lot of accidents were caused there. I wonder if member Crawfish would have a picture of that.
Including Tim Horton in 1974 if I am not mistaken, but I still miss the old QEW. I remember the long drawn out conversion to the interchange that is now there, between 1976 and 1978. I remember my mom having to go to Grays Road and Community Avenue, just to get to to Burlington via the QEW.

Well I hope Crawfish can come through for me.

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
I heard from Crawfish today and sorry, the traffic circle was one place he didn't take photos of. And I believe the Tim Horton's accident was a little further down the highway near St. Kitts.

JodithPWorld

Jun 1, 2006
Thornhill, Ontario
Film Showing Hamilton QEW From 1969

Well I thought this was super cool. The first 45 seconds or so of this film shows a fast motion travel on the Niagara-bound QEW in 1969. It extends from North Shore Blvd to the tool booth (while the announcer is presenting the upcoming segment. Then in full screen, we see from the toll booth to past Lake Ave - including the traffic circle.

http://www.cbc.ca/archives/categori...ducation-general/remembering-jane-jacobs.html

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Well I thought this was super cool. The first 45 seconds or so of this film shows a fast motion travel on the Niagara-bound QEW in 1969. It extends from North Shore Blvd to the tool booth (while the announcer is presenting the upcoming segment. Then in full screen, we see from the toll booth to past Lake Ave - including the traffic circle.

http://www.cbc.ca/archives/categori...ducation-general/remembering-jane-jacobs.html
The link doesn't seem to go to that video, they must change them but still use the same address. I will see if I can find it.

JodithPWorld

Jun 1, 2006
Thornhill, Ontario
I just noticed the area by accident. I was watching the clip and I thought, you know, that looks like the harbour (since I saw a couple hydro lines pass by). Then I recognized the old Burlington Street overpass. Knowing this was 1969 (a year before I was born), I was thinking, "Come on Centennial Parkway....don't stop the film."

Well it was pretty much how I remembered, as I hadn't seen this since I was 7. And I remember the construction of the 1978 interchange (remembering my mom having to drive down to Community Avenue, past Grays - just to get to the Toronto bound QEW - and back again.) A lot of driving memories being in the backseat...lol.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
I had these sent in to me recently by author Charles Cooper, they are from the John Ames Collection and were taken before the QEW was constructed on the Beach.
Many thanks to Mr. Cooper.

JodithPWorld

Jun 1, 2006
Thornhill, Ontario
Looks like the Burlington Street Interchange

The third picture was the coolest where the bypassed lanes were staged for the new Burlington....oops (make that Beach Road) overpass.

I wonder if there's way to view John Ames collections? This is EXACTLY the sort of stuff I like viewing (I know, I need a life...lol)

Thanks Scotto,

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
The third picture was the coolest where the bypassed lanes were staged for the new Burlington....oops (make that Beach Road) overpass.

I wonder if there's way to view John Ames collections? This is EXACTLY the sort of stuff I like viewing (I know, I need a life...lol)

Thanks Scotto,
Those were the only ones that were sent from the collection. It may be located at the Archives of Ontario, but I will check and let you know.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Better late than never, I finally did get in touch with Mr. Ames. He explained that many of these pictures were from the McMaster library.

David O'Reilly

Dec 15, 2012
ryerson
04-08-2009, 09:04 PM
“There are some excellent pictures on this site of Hamilton in the years gone by, and the Hamilton Post card collection too has some great old shots. Anyone know of any more sites that contain pictures of Hamilton streets and businesses in the twenties-thirties and forties? It is incredible to see how some of the older buildings are still surviving today.”

Ryerson,

The Lloyd Reeds Map Library has 18,000 aerial photographs of Hamilton. But maybe they don’t have the detail that you are looking for.

http://library.mcmaster.ca/maps/

also tom Luton’s ‘Hamilton Transit History site which is updated monthly, has some old pictures.

The Hamilton Radial Electric Railroad (HRER) operated along Hamilton Beach, so I have provided the URL for the HRER page.

http://www.trainweb.org/hamtransithist/HRER.html

Top Bottom