Confederation Park Shopping Centre

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
glad to hear walmart will be getting bus service to the new store.
its still a pain in the a$$ to get from one store to another (if you r walking) which is how i get around.
The new bus stop is located on Centennial Pkwy, still a bit of a walk to the store though as the parking lot is huge.

Sharla1

Oct 15, 2009
Not sure I haven't been down that street in a while now. I should check it out. It wouldn't surprise me if it is open since I can't see them closing one without the other open.

I'm surprised nothing in the spec on the grand opening yet.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Not sure I haven't been down that street in a while now. I should check it out. It wouldn't surprise me if it is open since I can't see them closing one without the other open.

I'm surprised nothing in the spec on the grand opening yet.
Went there tonight, the place is huge and there wasn't many poeple there.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
I'd be carefull driving on the new entrance that comes from the service road, people are using that as a speedway to Lake ave
I used that entrance a couple nights ago and though it would be a faster path to Lake Ave, I guess if there are complaints that it will have radar set-up in the near future. Something to remember.

Sharla1

Oct 15, 2009
I heard Winners and Old Navy and some small stores will be going into Eastgate Mall. I still wonder what else is going to go into Confederation, plus there is still lots of free space at the Centre.

I'm surprised at Confederation they didn't put Walmart closest to 20 Hwy. instead of so far back on the property. I haven't seen the new Walmart yet. I can't do a lot of walking so a bigger store isn't for me.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
I heard Winners and Old Navy and some small stores will be going into Eastgate Mall. I still wonder what else is going to go into Confederation, plus there is still lots of free space at the Centre.

I'm surprised at Confederation they didn't put Walmart closest to 20 Hwy. instead of so far back on the property. I haven't seen the new Walmart yet. I can't do a lot of walking so a bigger store isn't for me.
From the floor plan on wall at the old Eastgate Walmart, it looks like they going to make it an addition to the mall with many stores. They only had two big tenents listed, the rest were just small shops. Seen a Forever XXI in the picture, but that was it.
And if you are not a fan of walking, don't shop at the new Walmart.

Sharla1

Oct 15, 2009
City staff received a site plan application for a six-storey hotel next to the Walmart plaza on Centennial Parkway, Chad Collins said.

The Ward 5 city councillor said Smart Centres has indicated Sandman Hotels will be the tenant in a six-storey, 206-room hotel with a Denny'SEND and Moxie's Bar and Grill restaurant in the hotel complex.

The development comes after bitter debate in 2009 about allowing for the employment lands on Centennial Parkway to be converted to commercial when Smart Centres indicated it wished to purchase the site at the corner of Centennial Parkway and South Service Road close to the QEW.

At the time, significant remediation work was required due to contamination on some of the property from the Waxman scrap yard.

Collins said the city tied the conversion of the lands to a requirement to build an office building or a hotel.

He said now the city is benefitting from that requirement.

"It took a lot of remediation work to get it to this point," said Collins. "(Smart Centres) spent millions upon millions to clean it up. Now this will act as a kind of gateway to the city.

"With that comes new tax assessment and jobs."

Last month, Smart Centres, a division of Walmart, had a building permit issued for a new Toys R Us and Subway, along with other stores and restaurants, including a U.S.-based chain, Buffalo Wild Wings, on Centennial Parkway North, with openings expected by summer.

Collins said Smart Centres expects to begin construction on the project this year, pending site plan approval.

http://www.thespec.com/news/business/article/878365--new-hotel-coming-to-centennial-parkway-site

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
There is a lot of construction going on there now, but I will have to look to see where the hotel will be located, nothing looks that big right now.

suesue

Jul 6, 2008
Have any new stores opened here yet? I assume they are still building?

i was there on the wkend...only new store i saw was Dollar tree. the subway & other smaller stores had all thier windows covered, so still closed? this seems to be taking forever!

Top Bottom