Corey Hotel

Drogo

Feb 8, 2005
Wish I could answer that with authority. The book "The Sand Strip" on pg. 21 lists some hotels on the Hamilton side of the canal.
"Other hotels along the Beach were Wells' Tavern, the Lakeside, the Sportsman's Arms, Corey House owned by Jake and Lou Corey, Perry's Hotel and Martin's Pleasure Gardens."

I'm not sure where Well's and Sportsman's Arms was but Gert Perry's Hotel was at the canal Martin's Pleasure Gardens, I believe, was just north of Dynes. I would assume Corey House was up closer to the canal.

In the book you loaned to me, Van Waggoners, mentioned Mort Corey having the Edgewater down there. As Edgewater wasn't listed above I think the reference was probably to the Beach proper.

I would actually be interested in any pictures of any of the Corey family. I know the piece of property that Fred Corey inherited (large piece with a number of cottages) was across from Skyway Canvas. The house farthest north is still there and has "Sunnyrest" (I think) on the front. Family tells me that the original Corey home was on the bayside on what is now Granville.

I know the family had a colourful reputation on the Beach but any stories, pictures or any information would be appreciated. My great great grandmother was Matilda Catherine Corey, daughter of Morris Cory who moved to the Beach in 1824 from New Brunswick.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
If I recall properly, the Corey house that I know is close to the variety store across from Dunraven. And I believe it has "Sumerest" (sp?) over the entrance.
I will check that though.
Be nice to get a bit info on the Coreys.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
From an old Spec article;
Mr. Dynes, the great duck shooter, raised a hotel and gave it his name. The Corey family called theirs The Sportsman's Arms.

http://hamiltonbeachcommunity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=633
Another;
There were many, many hotels and taverns over the years, with some of these being Martin's Pleasure Garden, the Arlington Hotel, the Road House, The Old Tavern, the Ocean House Wells' Tavern, the Lakeside, the Sportman's Arms, Corey House, Perry's Hotel.

http://hamiltonbeachcommunity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=651

Drogo

Feb 8, 2005
From an old Spec article;
Mr. Dynes, the great duck shooter, raised a hotel and gave it his name. The Corey family called theirs The Sportsman's Arms.

http://hamiltonbeachcommunity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=633
Another;
There were many, many hotels and taverns over the years, with some of these being Martin's Pleasure Garden, the Arlington Hotel, the Road House, The Old Tavern, the Ocean House Wells' Tavern, the Lakeside, the Sportman's Arms, Corey House, Perry's Hotel.

http://hamiltonbeachcommunity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=651
:yay: Well that is one more peace of information. Thank you. Sportsman's Arms. Seems they enjoyed running taverns. At least they didn't have far to go home. I know from some deeds that Morris Corey took up fishing on the canal side of Dynes. I believe at that time Dynes was the only person who actually owned land. The Beach being a Military Reserve. I'm sure I didn't use the right term there but that's basically what it was. I don't have the exact date but that wasn't lifted until the late 1840's. That being said I have an application from Morris Corey to the gov't to purchase fifteen acres and 8 perches on the Bay and three acres and thirty-three perches on the shore of Lake Ontario, opposite as a fishing ground.
The application was Sept. 11, 1837 (well before the release by the military). On Oct 12, 1837 the Council recommended that the land asked for by Corey be surveyed and sold at public auction. A further notation at the bottom appears to say this was completed on Oct 21, 1837. Corey was probably the only bidder and we know he got the land.
This makes me wonder then how early the Sportsman's Arms came into being with the news article mentioning Dynes and Corey in the same article.

Drogo

Feb 8, 2005
Going back to the fort and the War of 1812.....my friend Colwyn would be very interested...
If anyone is interested I have the land petition in my file. I would gladly post it. I have just finished re-reading the OLD FORT thread. I haven't given up on it. I am going to bounce something off you off the postings because I don't want to muddy waters with something I'm mulling around in my mind.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
I would actually be interested in any pictures of any of the Corey family. I know the piece of property that Fred Corey inherited (large piece with a number of cottages) was across from Skyway Canvas. The house farthest north is still there and has "Sunnyrest" (I think) on the front. Family tells me that the original Corey home was on the bayside on what is now Granville.
The house that Coreys now use to own (I didn't know they moved) was at 749, and has a small sign on the front with "Sumerest" written on it. I guess the house could of been moved or the Coreys used the sign when they moved from the Skyway Canvas location. It's the only one of the Corey houses I would know of.

Drogo

Feb 8, 2005
Thanks Scott. That is the house I visited just before they moved. I had tons of land records for the numberous houses in a row there that Fred Corey sold and it would appear the above house is the one the family stayed in.

David O'Reilly

Dec 15, 2012
Scott, "there were many many hotels and taverns over the years" has anyone ever thought of creating a time line of all of the businesses that were on the beach? and provide links to pages with the information?

Drogo

Feb 8, 2005
Beach Businesses

Scott, "there were many many hotels and taverns over the years" has anyone ever thought of creating a time line of all of the businesses that were on the beach? and provide links to pages with the information?
David I am working on something like that for Aldershot at the moment then I plan to do similiar work on the Beach Strip. Corey Hotel is in my family line.

Drogo

Feb 8, 2005
Hamilton Harbour pages

I research old sailing ships so I've used those pages for years. Thanks for thinking of it though.

Drogo

Feb 8, 2005
Corey houses

The house that Coreys now use to own (I didn't know they moved) was at 749, and has a small sign on the front with "Sumerest" written on it. I guess the house could of been moved or the Coreys used the sign when they moved from the Skyway Canvas location. It's the only one of the Corey houses I would know of.
Scott
Hadn't caught this before or don't recall it. Are you saying that you think the old Corey's lived in the building that became known at Skyway Canvas? I was pretty sure the property was originally where Morris/Maurice Cory lived when he came from NB but never thought of the building being that old.

David O'Reilly

Dec 15, 2012
Drogo,
there has to be some information about it in the Hamilton Public Library's Local History and Archives Department. if nothing else, in old news paper articles.

so what year would you start looking at? well you could pick any opening date for any of the hotels on the beach, or dates that any of them burned down. and somewhere in one of those articles on one of those hotels, there has to be a reference to to the Corey Hotel.

maybe even the Burlington Public Library would have something.

Drogo

Feb 8, 2005
When I started checking the Corey family I went through the Saltfleet land books. In the early years there is next to nothing on the Beach Strip. Alot were squatters. Morris Corey showed up a few days after Dynes. Even on the Augustus Jones Survey the Beach isn't divided into any particular lots. The most information on the Beach is recorded in the Thomson Diaries from the lighthouse. He told you more about what was going on along the Beach than anything else written at the time. You had the squatters in first then a long time later land was sold off in lots. I have some news articles where the land was being sold for summer homes but that was in the 1880s. From my research I don't feel (my opinion) that the records needed for the very early years exist on the Beach itself.

Top Bottom