Looking for Bell Cairn Class Photos

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
If anyone has any class pictures from Bell Cairn School or the Beach Bungalow, we would like to add them to the Photo Gallery section.
Please reply in this thread or email me at <hbcf@cogeco.ca>

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Grade 8, 1951

I have attached a school picture from 1951, with a bit of help from a few members, hopefully we can put a name to all of the faces.
The outline show the position of the student and I will fill in the list as the names come in.
1/ Charley Dillen (?)

2/ Danny Dowdell

3/ David Lang

4/ Walter Fenner (?)

5/ Don Reynolds

6/ Ron Francis

7/ Keith Crawford

8/ (?)

9/ Harry Follwell

10/ Ralph Woods

11/ Fred Briggs

12/ Gerry Wallace

13/ Bob Crossley

14/ Bob Sweet

15/ George Robson

16/ Judy Green

17/ Jackie DeNew

18/ (?)

19/ Grace Crechiola (?)

20/ (?)

21/ Elizabeth Mitchell

22/ Marlene Pett

23/ Beverly Hampson

24/ Dan Threader(?)

25/ Arthur Matheson

26/ George Petrie

27/ Jerry Kenyon

28/ Jack Kenyon

29/ Lorraine Alexander

30/ Eva Havlicek

31/ Jackie Lane

32/ Joan Moore

33/ Norma Beveridge

34/ Caroline Cuming

35/ Mr. Johnson.

1951 Grade 8.jpg

outline.jpg

Dec 1, 2004
Longueuil, Quebec
#7 is Keith Crawford, #2 is Danny Dowdell, #3 is David Lang, #6 is Ron Francis, #9 is Harry Follwell, # 10 is Ralph Woods, #11 is Fred Briggs, #12 is Gerry Wallace, #12 is Bob Crossley,
More later after I refresh my memory.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
#7 is Keith Crawford, #2 is Danny Dowdell, #3 is David Lang, #6 is Ron Francis, #9 is Harry Follwell, # 10 is Ralph Woods, #11 is Fred Briggs, #12 is Gerry Wallace, #12 is Bob Crossley,
More later after I refresh my memory.
Thanks Crawfish, I assume Bob Crossley is #13?

Fred Briggs

Beach History Moderator
May 27, 2004
Stoney Creek
hamiltonbeachcommunity.com
I'm sorry to have been so long in getting to this problem, but I had to locate a better (read bigger) copy of the picture, and do some research on the names. I don't have them all, but I do have most of them, though I'm not sure about a few. I've added a Question Mark to those for which I'm not sure. I've put in a Question Mark only for those I don't remember, and added a list of names for consideration in the hope that someone will recognize the name and the face, and put them together.
1 Charley Dillen (?)
2 Danny Dowdell
3 David Lang
4 Walter Fenner (?)
5 Don Reynolds
6 Ron Francis
7 Keith Crawford
8 ?
9 Harry Follwell
10 Ralph Woods
11 Fred Briggs
12 Gerry Wallace
13 Bob Crossley
14 Bob Sweet
15 George Robson
16 Jackie DeNew
17 ?
18 ? (Grace Crechiola ?)
19 ?
20 Elizabeth Mitchell
21 Marlene Pett
22 Beverly Hampson
23 ? (Dan Threader?)
24 Arthur Mathieson (not Raymond!)
25 George Petrie
26 Jerry Kenyon
27 Jack Kenyon
28 Lorraine Alexander
29 Eva Havlicek
30 Jackie Lane
31 Joan Moore
32 Norma Beveridge
33 Caroline Cuming
34 Wm. F. Johnson

There are some people who I know were in that class, that year, but they must have been absent for the picture, or I simply don't remember them. They are Helen Garlow, Jack Halcro (went to Victoria in June), Annabelle May, Judith Muise, Ron Piesanen, Dorothy Stewart, and David Tennant. I think Barbara Hadcock joined our class in June (from Port Dover), maybe after the picture was taken. If you knew any of these people, and can recognize them in the picture, please help us fill it in.
Otherwise, I'll try to identify the others now that I have narrowed it down, when I get another chanc and if I can find out the date when the picture was taken .
Fred

Fred Briggs

Beach History Moderator
May 27, 2004
Stoney Creek
I tried to edit the above message to make a couple of corrections and additions, but they didn't stick, so I'll try to add them here!
Add the name Jean Curtis to the names I don't remember or can't find in the photo. Also Gord Williamson had been in the class but dropped out, and Raymond Osborn didn't make it to the end of the year.
Fred

Dec 1, 2004
Longueuil, Quebec
I think Fred has made a mistake in Beverly Hampson's number. I am sure that she is #23 and #21 is not Marlene Pett because I don't think she was in our class. The other names are, as far as I can tell, accurate and I have to congratulate Fred on his memory.

Fred Briggs

Beach History Moderator
May 27, 2004
Stoney Creek
Yes, I have made a mistake with the numbering. I was working without the Numbering system copied onto the print of the photographs, and missed Judy Green. Here is the list corrected and renumbered.
1 Charley Dillen (?)
2 Danny Dowdell
3 David Lang
4 Walter Fenner (?)
5 Don Reynolds
6 Ron Francis
7 Keith Crawford
8 ?
9 Harry Follwell
10 Ralph Woods
11 Fred Briggs
12 Gerry Wallace
13 Bob Crossley
14 Bob Sweet
15 George Robson
16 Judy Green
17 Jackie DeNew
18 ?
19 ? (Grace Crechiola ?)
20 ?
2i Elizabeth Mitchell
22 Marlene Pett
23 Beverly Hampson
24 ? (Dan Threader?)
25 Arthur Mathieson (not Raymond!)
26 George Petrie
27 Jerry Kenyon
28 Jack Kenyon
29 Lorraine Alexander
30 Eva Havlicek
31 Jackie Lane
32 Joan Moore
33 Norma Beveridge
34 Caroline Cuming
35 Wm. F. Johnson

I made a copy of some of the Registers - specifically the Attendance Record for Grade 8 for June, 1941- at the Education Archives when I was there for the Annual General Meeting of the Friends of the Educational Archives on October 20th. The record shows Marlene Pett in attendance for all 20 days in that class in June. (I don't remember her in our class at all, as I thought she was a year behind us., but I remember she was very pretty, and I think her nickname was "Mouse", and that seems to match her expression in this picture.)
There was no Barb Redfern listed in the Record for June.
The picture may have been taken in May, or even April, but I don't have the Attendance Records for those months. I'll try to gt them when I can get up there again in the future.
Fred

Dec 1, 2004
Longueuil, Quebec
I agree with Fred that #20 is Elizabeth Mitchell. I think also, that #21 is Marlene Pett, now that I have been prompted. I guess what misled me is her hair which I don't remember. Yes, she was known as 'Mouse' because of her size and she was very pretty. She dated Ralph Woods for many years.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
I stand corrected again! #22 is Marlene Pett! And, Elizabeth Mitchell is #21, not #20 as I said before. With that, I think I will just shut up.
How long ago was that? Over sixty years? Please keep going as you both are doing far better than I would of done for names of my grade eight class.
Anyway I will fill the names in and we can move on from there for any corrections.
Thanks again to you both for you help.....

Dec 1, 2004
Longueuil, Quebec
Now that Fred has filled in the numerous gaps that I left, the names I couldn't remember are all familiar to me and I have to thank Fred for the fine effort in doing that. I will take my original picture and transcribe the names on the back for posterity (mine).
Also, in looking at that picture of Marlene Pett, I wonder if she didn't get the nickname 'mouse' from that hairdo?

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Thanks again to Crawfish and Fred for filling in all names to all of the faces:tbu:

I have attached another class picture that was sent in by Ross Somerville,
Ross writes;

"Good day:
I'm not sure on how to post a picture to your gallery but here is an oldie I just found of my grade one class at Bell Cairn around 1953.
Here is a list of the tags in the picture that I think are correct but it would be great to get others to way in on this one to identify as many as possible and where they are now.
I am 3rd from right bottom row; Ross Somerville
2nd from right I think is Mike Kernick (not sure of spelling)
bottom right is Dorthy Bullbeck (not sure of spelling)
5th from left bottom row is Jerry Symington (not sure of spelling)
8th from left bottom row is Brian Hutton ( I think)
4th from left, 2nd row is Jerry or Jimmy Simmons ( I think)
4th from the left on 2nd row is David Simmons, great guy and good school friend
Wish I could remember more but the years have clouded my memory.
Cheers
Ross Somerville
Protection Island BC"

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Grade 3, 1948

I don't recall who donated this class photo, but they were nice enough the send the names that were written the back as well.

Grade31948.jpg

Grade31948a.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2004
Longueuil, Quebec
Fantastic Scotto: I know 95% of these kids and the Hannas that I was talking about in a previous post are there also. Both brothers in the same class although they were at least a year apart in age. Bobby was the cleverer one (I think) and the eldest and I can't remember why George (Red) ended up in the same class.

Top Bottom