Houses and Cottages

Sharla1

Oct 15, 2009
The property on lake Erie is now for sale. They did one price drop already from $399,900 to $359,000. Here is the video on it. I wish I could buy it back but isn't possible. Sure have a lot of memories there. :)

The claw foot tub in the bathroom dates about 1875 range.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9NW95R90Jc

swingsx.jpg

Here we are on the swings which are still there. The swings were made by my grandfather from plumbing pipes in the late 50s. He was a plumber. I am holding the puppy. The pic was taken around 1962.

Last edited:

David O'Reilly

Dec 15, 2012
scotto
09-15-2013, 09:28 PM
Scott,

Scott, do you know anything about the ‘Beach Committee’?

Politics along the strip were confusing

I will let Gary Evans explain the Beach Committee with a plagiarized section from his latest book, Memories of the Beach Strip.
For the whole story, pick up his book.

It's part of the City of Hamilton today, but for a period of 50 years, that area known as Burlington Beach enjoyed all the rights of an incorporated municipality, and yet never had that official status.
Sound confusing?
Well, in many ways, that word best describes the politics of the Beach over the years, especially during those years when the Beach Strip became a popular resort spot, a unique way of life within the shadow of a big city.
History records that in the years before 1907, most of the Beach Strip that is up to what was then the Halton County boundary was administered by the Township of Saltfleet, then by the City of Hamilton under an unusual lease agreement which meant that many of the events of the day were administered through the city's parks and cemetery committee.
That all changed in 1907 when most of the Beach was placed under the authority of the Burlington Beach Commission, as a result of a
special act enacted by the members of the Ontario Legislature.
There were few such commissions in the province during the 1900s, and while the Burlington Beach Act gave the commissioners total control, their actions were widely accepted by the Beach residents, with only a few voices of dissension over the years.
The Beach Commissioners - and there were many different individuals appointed over the years, had basic autonomy over Beach affairs, ruling on all aspect of Beach life just as the elected council in Hamilton did during that same time frame.
Under their watch, taxes were collected and money disbursed - for police officers, a fire
hall, sanitation, public welfare, parks and recreation, even education where the old Beach Bungalow School was built and teachers hired.

Attached is a picture of the Beach Commission office with the fire truck and the crew in front.
The office was later moved to the Beach Rescue property and used as a club house.

http://i833.photobucket.com/albums/...ach Fire Dept/CommisionOffice_zps62ab604f.jpg (http://s833.photobucket.com/user/sc...ire Dept/CommisionOffice_zps62ab604f.jpg.html)
Hamilton Public Library

“The Globe'sHamilton correspondent was again on the subject of the Beach on the 27 August and said, in part,
"In the year 1874, the Government leased for a term of 99 years, an infinite quantity of land comprising a large portion of the Beach, to the Municipality of Hamilton for the use and benefit of the people of the city. It was originally contemplated to make a public park of the land so acquired, but subsequently, the City Corporation determined to lay out a large portion in building and park lots. These were to be put up at public auction, to be leased for 99 years to private individuals, the purchase money to be used in improving the roads, streets, etc., on which the lots were located. Two sales of lots have already taken place, much to the dissatisfaction of numerous electors who contend that the Council has no right thus to dispose of property obtained for the benefit of the whole city."”

http://www.maritimehistoryofthegreatlakes.ca/documents/Brookes/default.asp?ID=Y1877#p13.77.5

Scott,
Do you know how it was that Hamilton was able to sell land on the beach?

Top Bottom