In search of the outlet

Drogo

Feb 8, 2005
I have put together the work I personally did on the old forts and posted them to my website. It amounts to the reasonable conclusion of two forts. On that same site is my beginning attempts to pinpoint the old outlet. I have someone working on it with resources I don't have access to and hope to physically locate where it would be in relationship to today's landmarks. I have permission to include my site's URL because the Saltfleet pages are all history.

With the massive amount of research material I have acquired I will continue to find beach related information and keep adding to the site.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Thanks for the link Drogo, nice job on your Site.
I was talking with Fred about the inlet and he was sure that it was located where Willow Ave. sits today. I recall reading some memoirs from Lady Simcoe stating that it was a mile from the new canal. However, was she even around when the new canal was built? I do see that you have it located only half a mile from the new canal which would be much closer to Willow Ave.

Drogo

Feb 8, 2005
Thanks Scott,
Lady Simcoe was long gone before the War of 1812. The canal records mention that the outlet was 66 chains from the canal. When I use google distance tool on the map it marks the 66 chains at just about the same place my overlay estimate shows. Fred is alittle short of that but could very well be right. I'm hoping for a definitive answer.

Top Bottom