Butterflies from the Windermere Basin

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
The park at Winderemere Basin next to Eastport Dr. seems to have become a new destination for migrating butterflies. Hopefully this continues into the future.

Sharla1

Oct 15, 2009
Very nice Scotto. I have been seeing a monarch flying around my place lately. Earlier this month when the nieghbours had his lilacs in full bloom the red admirals were around a lot. The red admirals seem to love the lilacs. Such pretty insects they all are. :)

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Very nice Scotto. I have been seeing a monarch flying around my place lately. Earlier this month when the nieghbours had his lilacs in full bloom the red admirals were around a lot. The red admirals seem to love the lilacs. Such pretty insects they all are. :)
I'm no expert but I think the big migration of the monarch is in the fall, hopefully they stop at the Windermere basin.

Sharla1

Oct 15, 2009
Yea usually late August into September and even Oct. on the way to Mexico. I heard Point Pelee has a huge migration of all kind of butterflies there but I've never been there before.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Yea usually late August into September and even Oct. on the way to Mexico. I heard Point Pelee has a huge migration of all kind of butterflies there but I've never been there before.
I don't have much spare time to be driving around looking for butterflies, so hopefully the migration has a visit to the new Windermere Basin Park.

Sharla1

Oct 15, 2009
That's no short drive to Point Pelee. Many come from all over for the migrations of the butterflies and birds to the Point. The Ontario Birders Assoc books the rooms one year in advance for the spring bird migration. Anyhow, I heard it is a very nice area. I haven't seen it myself yet.

Point Pelee is the most furthest southern area of all of Canada. One way it's a 3 and a half hour drive.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
That's no short drive to Point Pelee. Many come from all over for the migrations of the butterflies and birds to the Point. The Ontario Birders Assoc books the rooms one year in advance for the spring bird migration. Anyhow, I heard it is a very nice area. I haven't seen it myself yet.

Point Pelee is the most furthest southern area of all of Canada. One way it's a 3 and a half hour drive.
Seven hours of driving, no thanks. As I wrote earlier, hopefully they start coming here to the new park.

Sharla1

Oct 15, 2009
I'm not seeing many type of butterflies around this year other then the usual cabbage whites. I didn't see any red adimiral butterflies at the lilacs this year either. Perhaps it was since we had a cool spring.

I have been trying to figure out what kind this one is. I don't think I ever seen one like this before.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
I'm no butterfly expert, so I have no idea as well. It may have some colour on the inside of the wings to identify it, but it must look like a dead leaf on purpose.

Just to add, I searched dead leaf butterfly and they actually exist, but only in Asia and Africa.

Last edited:

Sharla1

Oct 15, 2009
Probably looks like that to hide from hit's preditor. And it sure is a strange looking one. And yes it sure looks like a dead leaf.

Sharla1

Oct 15, 2009
Perhaps maybe of the moth family? I didn't try looking up moths yet.

Sure is a strange looking one regardless.

Sharla1

Oct 15, 2009
I'm more inclined to say it's of the COMMA family. Many of those are very leaf like looking. And the one shown here is possible of being a juvenile.

Top Bottom