Ojibwa Sub

Donka

Jun 5, 2006
Scotto, or anyone, do you know what time the Ojibwa sub will be passing through the canal? I'd love to watch it go by. I tried vessel tracking but it says the ETA is May 25, so I assume the info is out of date. Thanks!

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Scotto, or anyone, do you know what time the Ojibwa sub will be passing through the canal? I'd love to watch it go by. I tried vessel tracking but it says the ETA is May 25, so I assume the info is out of date. Thanks!
From what I have heard, it will be coming in tonight about 3am. Poor weather can change the ETA though. When I get a more concrete time, I will post it.

The tug Florance M is bringing it in, but I don't see it list on any of the tracking sites.
http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/default.aspx?level0=100
http://vtslite.siitech.com/VTSLite/AView.aspx

More info;
http://www.projectojibwa.ca/the-move/share-your-photos.aspx

Last edited:

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
From the Ojibwa website;

"The Florence M., Ojibwa and Lac Manitoba have entered Lake Ontario and are off Prince Edward County. ETA to Hamilton June 5, 2012 at 1:30 am Eastern Time."

I don't know how accurate this information is as now I see the Florence M is going past Oshawa according to the AIS site .

Donka

Jun 5, 2006
Boo...1:30am is not a great time for me. I'll be snoozing :) I'm checking that AIS site but I don't see it. Do the ships pop on and off depending on if their transponders can reach or something?

Donka

Jun 5, 2006
Oh, there it is again on the website. Well, if I don't make it out tonight I guess there's always a chance to see it on it's way back out in September. Thanks Scotto!

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Oh, there it is again on the website. Well, if I don't make it out tonight I guess there's always a chance to see it on it's way back out in September. Thanks Scotto!
Yes some of the vessels seem to go missing then come back again on those Sites, it was too late for me as well and without some light, you don't get very good pictures anyway.
Hopefully they go back out during the daytime.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
From the Spec;

"In September she is to be towed by barge to Port Burwell where the 300-foot long, five-story high submarine will be transported overland to her permanent home. She will open for tours in the summer of 2013."

Read More

Sharla1

Oct 15, 2009
I wonder why they are moving it.

I saw it a couple of times when I went on vacations in NS many years ago.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
It still never mentions why they moved it.
It was moved to become a museum piece, I assume they didn't want it in Halifax.
From the Spec;
"transferred to a new permanent home as a naval museum in Port Burwell, south east of St. Thomas."

Edit;
Adding this, picture of the HMCS Ojibwa approaching Heddle Marine floating dry-dock in Halifax on May 25th, 2012.

Sharla1

Oct 15, 2009
It sure was better looking the last time I saw it. Perhaps that's part of the reason they moved it since they weren't looking after it. Mind you it's been many years since I saw it last.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
It sure was better looking the last time I saw it. Perhaps that's part of the reason they moved it since they weren't looking after it. Mind you it's been many years since I saw it last.
Could just be cosmetic as the others that they scrapped did look better, guess the experts should know which one to keep as a museum piece.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Submarine Ojibwa retires with atypical fanfare

Spec article

A retired Cold Warrior starts her final journey today.

HMCS Ojibwa, the last of Canada’s Cold War-era submarines, has been resting in Hamilton Harbour since May being prepared for her final duty as a museum in the Lake Erie tow of Port Burwell.

Weather permitting, the HMCS Ojibwa will leave a Hamilton dry dock on Thursday and be coaxed by tugboats all the way to Port Burwell, where it will retire as a museum on the shores of Lake Erie.
http://www.thespec.com/news/local/article/832023--submarine-ojibwa-retires-with-atypical-fanfare

Sharla1

Oct 15, 2009
They did a good job on it.

But the article still say exactly what time they will be moving it. I wouldn't be able to go anyhow I have other plans tomorrow.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
They did a good job on it.

But the article still say exactly what time they will be moving it. I wouldn't be able to go anyhow I have other plans tomorrow.
I don't think that they know, I stopped by there today and there were was work still being done. Also bad weather in on it's way and that could delay the trip to Lake Erie.

Sharla1

Oct 15, 2009
The tentative date for the Subs departure is next Thursday, hopefully we have some good weather.
Who knows we might get the snow like the east coast is getting now. Poor east coast, like they didn't have enough to deal with already. Nasty mother nature seems to be on the warpath lately.

Top Bottom