Royal Canadian Navy ships depart for Great Lakes Deployment

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
HMCS Moncton

The HMCS Moncton came through the Burlington piers this morning around 9am, attached are a few shots.
I don't recall this ship ever visiting Hamilton as many of it's sister have over the years.
The HMCS Summerside came through yesterday, when I caught up with it, she was already in the harbour and high heat and humidity made for some very poor pictures.
The Summerside has visited Hamilton many times over the years, there are some pictures in the Gallery from past visits.

I added one anyway of the Summerside in the harbour.

Last edited:

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
The HMCS Ville de Québec (FFH 332 or VDQ) a Halifax-class frigate and the USS Hurricane (PC-3) a Cyclone class Patrol ship came through the piers today in the pouring rain, a few pictures;

Sharla1

Oct 15, 2009
I found the answers to my questions. :)

They're loaded with torpedoes and all kinds of other of armaments. And they are carefully watched by RCMP officers in Zodiac boats in the bay, along with Hamilton police, navy and other security on land.

The Royal Canadian Navy's HMCS Ville de Québec and the American USS Hurricane are docked in Hamilton today, and are open for public viewing.

In addition, there is an exhibit with actors in period costumes and displays commemorating the 200th anniversary of the War of 1812.

Here is some information about the warships:

Open: Friday, 1 to 5 p.m. (U.S. ship will be open for visitation until 4 p.m.) and 6 to 8 p.m. (for the Canadian ship)

Where: Pier 8 East

From the following link.

http://www.thespec.com/news/local/article/802909--ships-ahoy

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
All that security, been to few before and there wasn't anyone(with a gun) expect for the ship's captain watching who was coming on board. I would like to stop in for the tour and see the engine room on the US boat, but likely won't have time during those hours.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
I stopped in for a quick visit today and security was very tight, there was a tent set up before you could get to the dock were the US vessel was stationed, it was the same as going through the airport.
I didn't bother going on board as the line up was too long.
A few pictures;

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Signposts: HMCS Moncton visits, celebrating newcomers and more
Hamilton Spectator
Ship ahoy

Hamiltonians are invited to tour the HMCS Moncton, an active navy vessel, during its two-day stop at Pier 8 in Hamilton Harbour. The ship will be open for public tours Monday, July 23, from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. and Tuesday, July 24, from 3 to 5 p.m. The Moncton is on an eight-week tour of Canadian port cities along the St. Lawrence Seaway and the Great Lakes from July 9 to Aug. 10.

I stopped by today and got the tour, thanks to the crew for their assistance;

Some Spec photos;
https://www.thespec.com/news-story/8758550-photos-hmcs-moncton-stops-in-hamilton-for-a-visit/

Top Bottom