More Ships

Islander

Apr 28, 2008
Very nice photos, I worked on both the John D Leitch (MV Canadian Century) and the Algoma Progress (MV Canadian Progress) That was 45 years ago....Yikes!

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Thanks Islander and Crawfish;
Yes name Canadian Century was changed about five or six years ago, I can only assume to honour someone in the Algoma company, another was changed to the Gordon C. Leitch.

The change of the whole fleet to add Algoma was started about year and a half back, must of been expensive not only to redo every ship, but to change all the paperwork as well.

Catherine Desgagnes

Beluga Endurance

Algosoo

AlgomaMariner
Algoma Mariner.JPG

James Norris

CSL Laurentian

lighthouse kid

Mar 6, 2007
1155 Beach Blvd - 1962-1972
Thanks for posting these great pictures Scotto!

It really brought back a lot of memories of living both in the little white bungalow and the red brick house.

I was just looking at them with my son and telling him stories of how I used to fall asleep at night looking out my bedroom window in the red brick house at these boats passing by.

-Michael

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Nice shots scotto, I shot almost all of those transits as well; I don't miss many. If you don't mind me asking, were are the slightly raised views shot from?
Thanks IH;
I have taken shots from many locations, but the raise angle is from the roadway and the catwalk of the Lift Bridge. They are nice enough to let me take some pictures.
There are also a few I took from the catwalk that is located under the old Skyway Bridge.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Cool. I don't suppose either of those have easy access though?
The access under the Skyway is very limited and it is now a work area with painting contract on going. So I don't think I will get back up there anytime soon.
Might be able to get a couple shots from the catwalk though.
Algoma Montrealais

CSL Pineglen

CT Dublin

CSL Thunder Bay

CSL Whitefish Bay,

The original Whitefish Bay, thanks to PWGSC and I would date this at 1962, most likely one of the first vessels to pass the new lift bridge.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Thanks Jude and good to hear from you(even though I am a week late)

Algosteel

CSL Niagara

Another of the Algomarine

Ojibway

Capt. Henry Jackman

Launched April 28, 1981 as the lake bulk carrier Lake Wabush, this Seaway-sized vessel was built by Collingwood Shipyards, Collingwood, ON, for Nipigon Transports Ltd.
Lake Wabush was one of three vessels acquired by Algoma Central Corp., Sault Ste. Marie, ON, from Hanna Mining on March 27, 1986. She was renamed Capt. Henry Jackman in 1987 after Captain Henry Jackman who, with his brother Frank, commanded and owned several Lake Ontario schooners sailing in the grain trades during the 1850-1870 period.
During the winter of 1995/96, the Capt. Henry Jackman was converted to a self-unloading bulk carrier by Port Weller Dry Docks, St. Catherines, ON.
Capt. Henry Jackman was laid up at Montreal at the end of 2018 season. On May 22, under the scrap tow name of ENRY, she was towed out bound for Aliaga, Turkey, by the saltwater tug VB Hispania. She arrived there on June 26, 2019 and was soon cut up.

https://www.boatnerd.com/pictures/fleet/CaptHenryJackman.htm

Stephen B. Roman

Top Bottom