More Ships

InsulatorHunter

May 8, 2007
Burlington
Here's a piece of history that few notice even when they are looking straight at it; directly across the bay from the Burlington Canal is the US Steel (Stelco) coal dock which is made up of 3 retired lakers sunk end to end. They are, under the last named they were in service, (L to R) Wiarton of 1907, Henry R. Platt Jr. (ii) of 1909 and Grovedale (ii) of 1905. All 3 were sunk in this position during the spring of 1973.

Below is the bow of the Grovedale as she is today and a picture of her during her last years of service. The hulls are in bad shape but with the way things seem to be going with the mill, that may not matter for much longer.

View attachment 2521 View attachment 2522

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Notice a hull and a bow over there many years ago but I didn't know that there were three sitting there. Just thought it was a instant dock made from an old ship, cheaper than building one.

David O'Reilly

Dec 15, 2012
Hi Scott, this page has lots of pictures of ships. Most of them are in the Niagara area, but some might be the same as those that you have posted.

http://www.nflibrary.ca/nfplindex/

does anyone know anything about a Great Lakes resurch boat called the Pt. Dalphine (probably spelled wrong)?

In either May or June of 1969, my grade 8 teacher arranged for the class to tour the ship )which was in Hamilton Harbour)and have a ride on it out in to Lake Ontario. He had known the captain for some time. In fact I think they had been in the Canadian Navy. The Captain’s name was Captain Archie Hodge. Maybe Mr. Hodge had been in the Royal Navy.

I guess shortly after the trip I forgot the captain’s name. so imagine how surprised I was when an article on Captain Hodge appeared in the Dundas Star in 1993. At that time I was living in Dundas, and so too was Mr.Hodge. so I went around to see him. Obviously he didn’t remember me, but he arranged for us to meet with my grade 8 teacher.

So as we were leaving Hamilton Harbour on the Pt. Dalphine, I took a picture of the lift bridge. Unfortunately it wasn’t a wide angle lense, so the picture didn’t capture the image of much on either side. Maybe I’llsend it to you Scott.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Hi Scott,
does anyone know anything about a Great Lakes resurch boat called the Pt. Dalphine (probably spelled wrong)?

In either May or June of 1969, my grade 8 teacher arranged for the class to tour the ship )which was in Hamilton Harbour)and have a ride on it out in to Lake Ontario. He had known the captain for some time. In fact I think they had been in the Canadian Navy. The Captain's name was Captain Archie Hodge. Maybe Mr. Hodge had been in the Royal Navy.

I guess shortly after the trip I forgot the captain's name. so imagine how surprised I was when an article on Captain Hodge appeared in the Dundas Star in 1993. At that time I was living in Dundas, and so too was Mr.Hodge. so I went around to see him. Obviously he didn't remember me, but he arranged for us to meet with my grade 8 teacher.

So as we were leaving Hamilton Harbour on the Pt. Dalphine, I took a picture of the lift bridge. Unfortunately it wasn't a wide angle lense, so the picture didn't capture the image of much on either side. Maybe I'llsend it to you Scott.
I don't recall that vessel and I have seen most of them, I will have a look for it though and yes, lets have a look at your bridge photo.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Hi Scott, this page has lots of pictures of ships. Most of them are in the Niagara area, but some might be the same as those that you have posted.

http://www.nflibrary.ca/nfplindex/

In either May or June of 1969, my grade 8 teacher arranged for the class to tour the ship )which was in Hamilton Harbour)and have a ride on it out in to Lake Ontario. He had known the captain for some time. In fact I think they had been in the Canadian Navy. The Captain’s name was Captain Archie Hodge. Maybe Mr. Hodge had been in the Royal Navy.

I guess shortly after the trip I forgot the captain’s name. so imagine how surprised I was when an article on Captain Hodge appeared in the Dundas Star in 1993. At that time I was living in Dundas, and so too was Mr.Hodge. so I went around to see him. Obviously he didn’t remember me, but he arranged for us to meet with my grade 8 teacher.

So as we were leaving Hamilton Harbour on the Pt. Dalphine, I took a picture of the lift bridge. Unfortunately it wasn’t a wide angle lense, so the picture didn’t capture the image of much on either side. Maybe I’llsend it to you Scott.
This came in today;
The vessel would have been CCGS PORTE DAUPHINE, and the Captain was Archie Hodge, formerly Royal & Royal Canadian Navy, who passed away in Dundas in 2004. Archie and the PORTE DAUPHINE were instrumental in the discovery of the sunken War of 1812 warships, the Hamilton and the Scourge, in 1973. I served briefly in PORTE DAUPHINE after she was recommissioned into the RCN in 1974 and am happy to say that I counted Archie as a friend.

Yours aye,

Neil S. Bell, LCdr (Ret’d)
www.hamiltonnaval.ca
www.facebook.com/Hamilton-Naval-Heritage-Association

Edit, the Porte Dauphine was built as a "Gate Ship", more here;
http://jproc.ca/rrp/gate.html

Attachments

Last edited:

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
This picture was sent in by one of our members, last week the Whitefish Bay along with a couple other vessels were anchored just off the Beach to stay out of strong winds. The Whitefish Bay looks like it is almost on the shore but was actually two miles out, the camera angle makes it look much closer.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
I am getting few residents asking me why the ships are sitting out in the lake, just off the Beach Strip as this week when there were seven vessels anchor out there. Most think that there is an issue entering the harbour, but what these ships are doing is staying out of high winds out of the west. Some are waiting to use a dock at Bronte and don't want the large waves to bash them against the dock or stay away from the high seas and freezing mist that build up quite a bit of ice on the decks.

Three of the seven waiting;

Ice build up on an inbound cement barge.

Top Bottom