The Tallships are Coming

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
"The majestic tall ships are coming to Hamilton’s waterfront as part of the War of 1812 Bicentennial Commemorations. The excitement will begin June 28 with the Parade of Sail and Opening Ceremonies. Daily June 29 and 30 visitors can go aboard the ships and sail on selected ships (for a fee), enjoy free on-land activities, music, food and more. Return for July 1 Canada Day celebrations at nearby Bayfront and Pier 4 Parks."

For all the info go here;
http://www.tourismhamilton.com/bicentennial-1812/signature-events/tall-ships/volunteer

Also volunteers are needed for the weekend, if interested call (905) 546-2424 ext. 2625

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Cool I look forward to this, I retire this coming Friday and my summer is filling up nicely.
You will have a very good view from your house and it should be a great picture day. Hopefully we have good weather as the tallship don't come this very often.

Attached is the tallship de Inca which came through the canal in the late 80's or early 90's, before digital cameras were around.
Photo was taken by a Beach resident and sent my way.
That was the last time (that I remember) that the tallships came to tour Hamilton.

Attachments

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Just an update on the Tall ship's visit to Hamilton, the SS Sørlandet, Niagara, Fair Jeanne, Peacemaker and St. Lawrence II are due to be coming through the Burlington Piers sometime on the 28th of June. The Leanna's Ransom will be a day early, coming in on the 27th.

If you look on the AIS system (http://marinetraffic.com/ais/), you can already see some of these vessel on Lake Ontario, the Niagara travelled past piers on Sunday night and is now anchored beside Spencer Smith Park in Burlington and I can only assume that she will stay there until Saturday.
Two other tall ships listed in Lake Ontario are the Empire Sandy and the Pride of Baltimore, but neither vessel is slated to come here.

More info;
http://www.tourismhamilton.com/bice...e-events/tall-ships/visiting-ships-activities

http://www.tourismhamilton.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Tall-Ship-Profiles_March-26-2013.pdf

Sharla1

Oct 15, 2009
I wished they would put approx times they were coming through the bridge. But that would also depend on the wind conditions.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
I wished they would put approx times they were coming through the bridge. But that would also depend on the wind conditions.
If I get the arrival times, I will post them as soon as possible. Once again, they will be listed on the AIS system, so you can see where they are hours before they get to the piers.
Some of them are in Toronto this week.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
A tentative time for their arrival looks to be around 2pm on Friday, all five want to come in on the same lift.
No word on the Thursday arrival, the weather isn't looking that great anyway.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip

Drogo

Feb 8, 2005
Scott
I was sitting just off the Inland Waters. Got some good shots and one I zoomed in to see one just clearing the bridge. Want any let me know.

Sharla1

Oct 15, 2009
They are beautiful. I wished I could go see them.

I saw on the news what a huge crowd it was at the pier.

Last edited:

Drogo

Feb 8, 2005
Peacemaker was anchored off my cousin's house in Winona for 3 nights. I understand she was all lit up at night and they could see them working on the ship.

Sharla1

Oct 15, 2009
I'm surprised they were having the it's your festival on the same weekend as this show.

Last edited:
Top Bottom