Hamilton Storm Update & Next Steps

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
From the Office of Chad Collins

The City of Hamilton’s Public Works Department continues to respond to impacts from this weekend’s storm, which caused power outages and tree damage in a number of areas across the City.

All clean-up efforts are prioritized to address life threatening situations, downed power lines or electrical, blocked roads, blocked driveways, damage to private/public property, and general clean-up. Complete clean-up of the City is expected to take several weeks.

Overview of Impacts & Clean Up Activities:

· Trees – the City has received approximately 1,100 calls relating to damaged trees. All calls are prioritized, with a high priority placed on those impacting health and safety.

· Water – the Woodward Plant (Water Station) did not experience any significant impacts and there were no watermain breaks related to the storm.

· Traffic Lights – The City’s Traffic Division responded to 45 calls regarding problems with traffic signals. All traffic signals are currently working. If you notice issues with any traffic signals please contact 905-546-4376. A reminder to please treat a broken signal as an all way stop.

· Libraries, Arenas and Pools – power outages occurred at a number of outlying libraries and arenas, but have now been restored. A number of pools were closed and drains were plugged – all are unclogged now.

· Parks and Cemeteries – minimal or no damage reported at City parks and cemeteries. City crews have been out over the weekend cleaning up all parks and cemeteries.

· Chedoke Golf Course - experienced significant tree damage and power outages, resulting in the closure of the course over the weekend. The course is still currently closed, but updates will be available later this afternoon (July 22, 2013).

Next Steps for Residents:

Waste Collection

As a result of the storm and hydro disruptions over the weekend, residents may place damaged food waste (i.e. meat, vegetables etc.) in their green carts with packaging removed for pick up on their regularly scheduled day. Residents may consider interim storage of damaged items by freezing them to avoid odours.

Garbage quantity limits will be waived through to Monday, July 29 (inclusive). Transfer stations and Community Recycling Centres (for large bulk item drop off and leaf and yard waste recycling) will also be waived until the end of day on Saturday, July 27.

Tree branches can be set out for curbside collection, but must be bundled and tied (maximum 4 feet in length and 2 feet in diameter) in order to receive collection on your regular scheduled collection day.

Damage to Privately Owned Trees

Damage to private trees is the responsibility of the property owner and use of qualified contractors for clean-up work is recommended for safety and insurance reasons. City staff are typically available to provide general advice to property owners regarding private tree concerns, however, requests of this nature may experience significant delays in response pending the resolution of the ongoing clean-up effort to public property and trees.

Food Spoilage

Community and Emergency Services Department is currently working with community agencies to provide assistance to those households in need who experienced food spoilage as a result of power outage. Further information will be shared as soon as the plan has been confirmed.

Sharla1

Oct 15, 2009
My modem has been acting nuts since the storm. Yesterday I bet it lost connection about 300 times. GRR And today isn't much better.

Sharla1

Oct 15, 2009
My modem seems to be better today. Sounds like it was trouble at the other end with Bell due to the storm which doesn't surprise me. It sure was a nasty storm.

Top Bottom