scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
By Margaret Lindsay Holton
Published August 26, 2013
Raise The Hammer

The Beach Canal Lighthouse has languished for decades. We need to act now to save this unique waterfront structure before it falls down.

Much of late has been made of the heritage issues facing Hamilton: what to protect, what to relinquish and what to really hunker down and fight for.

Ultimately, all heritage fights are about preserving a tangible asset that has proportionately defined the evolution of our commonly held civic character and uniquely local cultural identity. These things profoundly represent what and where we've come from.

It goes without saying that some items are more important then others. In the face of natural growth and development, we do have to discriminate. We must choose the most significant that best reflect our changing history.

One outstanding architecturally-defining structure that needs a fight, right now, is the Burlington Canal Lighthouse.

Verge of Collapse

In the simplest of terms, this decaying building and adjacent lighthouse keeper's cottage, scrunched up beside the Lift Bridge operations tower and Eastern Drive on the Hamilton Beach Strip, are on the verge of collapse.

Read More;
http://raisethehammer.org/article/1938

David O'Reilly

Dec 15, 2012
I've found a page on the stone that was used to construct the beach lighthouse in 1856. Interestingly, the stone didn't come from the escarpment in Hamilton, but rather from Queenston.

"Queenston stone is a strongly crinoidal dolomitic limestone, until recently quarried at Queenston from outcrops of the Gasport Formation. The quarry is currently being redeveloped as a residential, recreational and heritage site: see Masterplan.
Several quarries were developed over the years, and produced a variety of stones, some very coarse (suitable mainly for heavy construction), some finer, more compact, and suitable for carving. The coarser variety was used to construct The Burlington Lighthouse, on the beach just south of the canal."
The stone lighthouse was built in 1858 (at a time when this location would have been considered part of Hamilton). It replaced a wooden structure that had been built in 1837 and burned in 1856. It is 55 feet high, and was in use until 1961.

It is easily the first structure in the Hamilton region built from this stone - which was also used in many other lighthouses (Toronto, 1806; Buffalo, 1837).

https://www.raisethehammer.org/article/1509/imported_stone_in_hamilton_buildings

Last edited by a moderator:

Sharla1

Oct 15, 2009
I wonder how much they have raised to save the keepers house and the lighthouse. It would be so nice to see them restored in our lifetime.

Sharla1

Oct 15, 2009
What they should do is make a small promotional item (with the lighthouse on it) that will be about the same price as the chocolate bars that the schools sell. And contact the board of education to sell the promo stuff instead of the bars which aren't good for us anyhow. And the proceeds go to the reno for the lighthouse. And look how many schools we have in the city. I bet that would really add up if they could do this.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
What they should do is make a small promotional item (with the lighthouse on it) that will be about the same price as the chocolate bars that the schools sell. And contact the board of education to sell the promo stuff instead of the bars which aren't good for us anyhow. And the proceeds go to the reno for the lighthouse. And look how many schools we have in the city. I bet that would really add up if they could do this.
Schools sell chocolate bars to make money for themselves, I guess they need the money. Also the lighthouse group has a sale once a year (at the Beach sale) to generate some funds, once again, I don't know how well they do.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Do you know if those meetings are still going on?
I was thinking of getting in touch with the group.

Thanks,
Sebastian
The last meeting was held in July 2014, keep watch on this section as I always post the meeting dates in here. I can find a contact person if needed, but everyone is welcome to attend the meetings. Also, they should be getting together soon to discuss the upcoming Beach Garage Sale.

Top Bottom