Inlet at the Beach-mystery photo

Drogo

Feb 8, 2005
I was given this photo (I hope it's not up already and I've missed it) and would very much like to know where it was taken from and of what. It came from Graham Pilling. I can look at it as the outlet but the landscaping isn't right. I tend to think it was that length of land that Martin's Wharf went across. Graham lived in that area and talked about Cook's Island at the end of that spear of land. HELP PLEASE.

Last edited:

Drogo

Feb 8, 2005
Just took another look. Could it be taken from the Bay at the gap between that long spear of land and Cook's Island? That would make the building showing behind it the actual Beach. Possibly the mess in the water on the right is the remains of Martin's Wharf???? Looking forward to some input on this.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
The one hint I take from the picture is the landscape of the escarpment in the background, too bad it doesn't show more. My guess would be Brant's Inlet (or was that Brant's Pond?)before being filled in.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
I took this picture today from CCIW, it is straight across the harbor. Notice to the left that there is no sharp cliffs along that section of escarpment.

It looks to me that the section of land in the harbor is situated in the wrong direction to be Cook's Island, wasn't that Crook's Island(Near Lagoon Ave)?

Drogo

Feb 8, 2005
Hope this gets to you. The last one didn't go. OK I've looked at the picture from Brant's Pond like you mentioned. I'm almost positive that we have a picture of the outlet. If you use the Lighthouse shot looking down the N. Beach to where you can see the old outlet it is very similiar to the mystery pic. I think it was taken from Brant's Pond and the opening is on the right side. The house you see and the same trees are in the lighthouse shot. If you go in close you will see the two sides of the gap are all rushes. As in Rush Point???? I am colourizing it because that tends to make features pop out. An elderly lady from the Beach who knew Graham since he was a kid asked if he wanted the original. Really glad he grabbed it. IF IT IS THE OUTLET you can imagine about how thrilled I am going to be.

Drogo

Feb 8, 2005
PS
If you look at the left and what appears to be the escarpment it disappears after the second large tree in. From there the horizon is faint but it is flat not up and down like the left side.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
By the way. Great shot you took.
Thanks, we do know that outlet was located at Willow Ave, I wonder if we darken you picture slightly and take another shot from directly behind Willow Ave and try to match the escarpment. It couldn't of changed that much in 200 years. Although we would have to take into account any man made changes Hamilton has done, the Sherman cut would be an example.

Drogo

Feb 8, 2005
Thanks, we do know that outlet was located at Willow Ave, I wonder if we darken you picture slightly and take another shot from directly behind Willow Ave and try to match the escarpment. It couldn't of changed that much in 200 years. Although we would have to take into account any man made changes Hamilton has done, the Sherman cut would be an example.
Hang on. This picture is you either on Indian Pt. or in a boat IN Brant's Pond looking towards the Lake. The Sherman Cut is behind you. I am colourizing it. When you do this things become clearer. By the time I blow it up and put the Lake in (where it faintly shows in the picture) the land over Port Nelson-Bronte way is either the point or treed shoreline. Just hang on. I need a couple of hours here.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
In my opinion, I think they are all the same and the picture was taken from the Beach. The escarpment in the background, the islands and the trees match up.
You can see more of the escarpment after you coloured the picture, nice job BTW.
There were many inlets though.

Drogo

Feb 8, 2005
Sorry Scott but I'm not seeing it. The cluster of trees on the right are similar but not the same grouping as on the mystery picture. There are houses definitely in the picture. I can't find them in the pond picture. The gap is on the left of the trees in the pond picture and on the right in the mystery picture. We need more eyes but Fred isn't coming in and Ray hasn't gotten back to me. I may be miles off the mark but I don't think so.

This picture will probably muddy the whole thing but I do lots that make you look at things from different perspectives and the mystery is in some ways coming from the back and off to the side but there are the buildings and trees in this one. Just one opinion. LOL

Last edited:

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
IMO, the picture that you have coloured is taken far more to the right than the "moorings" pic and possibly taken years apart. I look at the trees and see one that could be a slow growing oak while the others could of filled in over many years. Yes all speculation, once again the only constant is the escarpment, some today comparisons could give us some clues. Just need a nice day were we can see the hills in the distance as shown in the pictures. They didn't have a 500mm lens back then, so no close ups.

Drogo

Feb 8, 2005
Just talked to Ray and he is positive it is the outlet as well. There is the oak tree on the north point that is shown in all the drawings and mentioned in the survey for Chisholm. It appears to have lots of trees around it but they are really behind it. If you look at the lighthouse picture that tree stands out like a sore thumb. Still trying to make of positive ID. A picture would help. Moving the darned Skyway out the way would help!

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Just talked to Ray and he is positive it is the outlet as well. There is the oak tree on the north point that is shown in all the drawings and mentioned in the survey for Chisholm. It appears to have lots of trees around it but they are really behind it. If you look at the lighthouse picture that tree stands out like a sore thumb. Still trying to make of positive ID. A picture would help. Moving the darned Skyway out the way would help!
The last picture you posted did show up better when you coloured it, do you still have that one?

Drogo

Feb 8, 2005
OK I got "a" picture from the skyway off google. Not exactly same angle but you can see it. Remember you are seeing two views about 150 years different timeframe.

On the mystery pic the escarpment doesn't go all the way across. It flattens out.

Last edited:
Top Bottom