Hall family on the Beach

Drogo

Feb 8, 2005
David asked me to put something up on the Hall family.

William Hall was born in Dublin Ireland in 1829 and grew up on the Beach. His father was John Hall and his mother Catherine. In 1849 he married Matilda Corey. Being a rather quiet man he was definitely different from the rowdy Corey family. From 1850 to 1873 Capt. Wm. Hall owned ships. Not the grandest but working ships that he made a living off. His step brothers George Hall and Robert Hall lived next door. George was on and off ferryman. He was also a sailor. Robert was a fisherman and boat builder. They were all part of the earliest inhabitants of the Beach. At times Wm. kept his ships at Wellington Square. Other times at Port Flamboro. He was partners at various times with John Waldie in Wellington Square and John Proctor in Hamilton. For a few years he made a living by running barrel staves to Port Charlotte (now Rochester) and bringing back coal. He ran with mostly French crews.

Some of his ships were Belvidere, P E Young, Prince Alfred and John Rae. He partnered with Waldie and others to build the Baltic who's back was broken onshore at Oswego NY and Sweepstakes that is in Big Tub Harbour at Tobermory. That is a quick overview of Captain Wm. Hall from Dublin not to be confused with Captain Wm. Hall from England. That Captain Hall had to do with the railway over the Heights and retired from Harbourmaster in Toronto.

Drogo

Feb 8, 2005
Couple of this I didn't mention. Capt. Hall was my great great grandfather. He retired in 1873 to the Plains in Aldershot to have a farm for his sons to work at. Capt. Hall was into sailing ships. The only streamship he had was the tiny tiny tug called the Prince Alfred. He actually bought the farm with the sale of that tugboat. His most prized ship was the John Rae. It was the largest he owned and in it's prime all her lines were tipped with brass. She was Class A when built. I still live on the last small piece of the farm that is still owned by family.

Now David that is all you are squeezing out of me. As my husband says "if I tell them everything who will buy my book?".

Top Bottom