South Park (Rembe) Ave.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Before all the streets were renamed on the (we became part of Hamilton) Beach, Rembe Ave. was named South Park Ave. Attached is a picture that was sent in by a member showing the street back in the early 20's (my guess).

And this photo from a few days ago, it looks like there is only one, maybe two houses left from the original picture.

Peggy's family owned the house at the top of the street for many years.

Sharla1

Oct 15, 2009
Where I grew up they changed the street name. It was originally Fairfield South. But since north and south didn't go straight through they renamed south to Auburn Ave.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Where I grew up they changed the street name. It was originally Fairfield South. But since north and south didn't go straight through they renamed south to Auburn Ave.
Most of the side streets were re-named on the Beach when Hamilton took over as the names already existed in the City. There is a thread on that in here somewhere.

Drogo

Feb 8, 2005
At this years garage sale hubby and I walked along ways and I took a picture standing on South Park in the same spot my dog, grandfather and two friends have what appears to be a buck and doe tied on the hook of the vehicle. Strange to be in the same place all those years later and the house still looks like the old pictures.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
At this years garage sale hubby and I walked along ways and I took a picture standing on South Park in the same spot my dog, grandfather and two friends have what appears to be a buck and doe tied on the hook of the vehicle. Strange to be in the same place all those years later and the house still looks like the old pictures.
The picture in the original thread is still missing, but I have dug up the hunting picture taken on South Park/Rembe Ave. back when the store was owned by the Pembertons. I recall another picture you sent in with you standing near the back door of the corner house, I don't know if I have that one.
Did you notice the big rock that has been added to the front yard? The owner told me it was added to replace a tree that was removed, the hunting picture shows a tree, but it isn't where the rock is now.

Attachments

David O'Reilly

Dec 15, 2012
scotto
04-02-2015, 10:48 AM

Most of the side streets were re-named on the Beach when Hamilton took over as the names already existed in the City. There is a thread on that in here somewhere.

"20 Beach Streets May Be Renamed
May 23/57
HAMILTON BEACH - The Beach Property Owner's Association has been advised by the planning and zoning committee that 20 street on Hamilton Beach have to be renamed as they are duplicated since the annexation with Hamilton.
The streets concerned are First, Second, Third, Fourth, Fifth and Sixth Avenues, Fairview Avenue, Clare Avenue, Waverley Avenue, Brighton Avenue. Morden Avenue, Bell's Lane, Turner's Drive, Wright's Lane, Albany Avenue, South Park, Kenmore Boulevard, Cottage Grove, Windermere Avenue, and Bayside Avenue.
A motion was passed that a request be forwarded to C. T. J. Waram, chairman, asking if the postal address of the area could be Hamilton (Beach) or a postal zone number be given to the area, instead of changing the street names."

http://hamiltonbeachcommunity.com/forum/showthread.php?1977-Beach-Articles-from-1956

Top Bottom