Sped Up Ship Going Through The Welland Canal

Sharla1

Oct 15, 2009
I accidently stumbled over this video recently. It was interesting watching it go through the locks.

I was trying to figure out if it was headed from lake Ontario to lake Erie or vise versa. I don't know that area very well.

Last edited:

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Ontario is a deeper lake.
The Welland Canal gets shipping around a big drop (Niagara Falls) between Lake Ontario and Lake Erie, so I would agree that the vessel is downbound to Lake Ontario. Recently I watched a new show on the Discovery Channel called Mighty Ship, it documented the new vessel Algoma Equinox transiting Lake Superior in mid November with a load of grain heading for Port Cartier then to Hamilton with a load of iron ore. When inbound to Lake Erie, high winds had made the western end of Lake Erie almost too shallow for Lakers to pass, then it was onto the Welland Canal with some of the same shots as Sharla's video.

Trailer;
https://vimeo.com/135252731

Algoma Equinox
Algoma Equinox is built to haul more cargo faster, using less fuel than any other Laker. On this voyage, her crew scrambles to load and transport grain from one end of the world's largest inland waterway to the other - passing through four Great Lakes, as well as the mammoth locks and tight canals that comprise the St. Lawrence Seaway. Equinox and her crew battle the fierce ice and winds, encountering sudden and enormous shifts in water depth. And after offloading the grain, she takes on a load of iron ore heavy enough to bend the hull of the ship!

Sharla1

Oct 15, 2009
I was noticing that too when they going through the locks in canal. Those big ships just fit. Now I see why they want to widen the locks again.

And that was a good video. Thanks for posting that Scotto.

They must really have a hard time with lake Erie if the water levels are down when it's a shallow lake to begin with.

Last edited:

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
I was noticing that too when they going through the locks in canal. Those big ships just fit. Now I see why they want to widen the locks again.

And that was a good video. Thanks for posting that Scotto.

They must really have a hard time with lake Erie if the water levels are down when it's a shallow lake to begin with.
The whole Discovery Channel show has the complete journey through the Great Lakes by the Algoma Equinox, much more than the short video, the full length version stated the Equinox was built with the Welland Canal as the gauge, it just fits side to side and end to end.

Sharla1

Oct 15, 2009
Makes one wonder what is going to happen when they start making the ships bigger. Which seems to be the norm today with just about anything now a days.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Makes one wonder what is going to happen when they start making the ships bigger. Which seems to be the norm today with just about anything now a days.
The Equinox is one of the newest ships on the Great lakes, can't make them any bigger until the Welland canal gets bigger. But there are 1000' on the upper lakes, they just can't travel to Lake Ontario.

Top Bottom