CARPE DIEM! Show & Sale - Sunday, Sept 20th.

missy2013

Aug 27, 2013
715 - Studio 3 - lakeside
promo card 2.jpg

Mark your calendars!

Please join Golden Horseshoe artist & author, Margaret Lindsay Holton, in the Community Hall, at the Hamilton Beach Rescue Unit, at 316 Beach Blvd, on SUNNY Sunday, Sept 20th from 2-5pm.

Will be having a little 'retrospective' of art work done over the past few decades, and offering up photo books, CDs, and FREE lemonade.
Family Friendly (with free parking at the rear of the building.)

Kindly note, everything, yes EVERYTHING, will be 50% OFF Retail for just 3 hours - in support of a new Canadian indie film, The Frozen Goose.
(More about that here: https://www.facebook.com/TheFrozenGoose

Hope to see some of your cheery mugs there! :)

Last edited:

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Waterdown artist takes a seat in director's chair

Waterdown artist takes a seat in director's chair

From the Hamilton Spectator

Flamborough Review
By Rachael Williams

Known for her award-winning artwork and literature, Waterdown artist Margaret Lindsay Holton is making her debut as a director of a fictional short film.

The Frozen Goose, based on a short story written by Holton, traces the struggles of a rural Canadian farming family whose members’ lives have been shattered by the First World War. Originally published in an anthology of the Great War, Engraved: Canadian Stories of World War One, the narrative tests the strength and fortitude of a family trying to survive in a world that has been forever changed.

“There’s been loss, tragedy, understanding, relations are broken. And then an incident occurs that turns their lives around forever,” said Holton.

While keeping tight-lipped on details of the incident, Holton said the story is sure to tug on the heartstrings and keep viewers emotionally invested in the lives of the five main characters.

The cast includes a widow, Helen, played by Leslie Gray, an uncle Harry, played by Rod McTaggart, a live-in family friend, Tom, played by John Fort and two newcomers to the stage, Hannah Ralph and Evan Cook, who are playing the two children, Bella and Charlie, respectively.

Gray, co-founder of Burlington’s Koogle Theatre Inc., said she identified with the character, Helen, because of her strength and ability to overcome loss, including the death of her husband.

“I liked her because she was a very strong woman. She’s able to take care of the kids and deal with everything that’s happened when her husband went off to war. I really enjoyed the emotion behind it,” said Gray.

And that’s just what Holton was going for when she wrote the script.

“It’s a broken family coping in the aftermath of a war. And things aren’t going so well.”

Holton’s filmwork has largely been documentary. With Rydeson graduate Jane Walker Manchee, she co-produced and co-directed an experimental 54-minute documentary, In the Eye of the Hunter in the mid-1980s. Since the mid 2000s, she has shot over 40 short productions. She has also authored 10 book works, including two novels, and produced a plethora of award-winning fine art oil and acrylic paintings and photographs.

“I’ve been an artist all my life. It’s just something I think I was born with. As soon as I picked up a pencil I started drawing. I picked up a brush and started painting. It’s intrinsic to my personality,” said Holton.

She added, art allows her to think about things at a deeper level, and consider the world at large.

With The Frozen Goose, Holton told the Review it allowed her to explore a world that pre-dates radio, television and the Internet “in a gentle kind of way.”

The historical nature of the film was also part of the appeal for cast member Gray, who is part of a two-person song and dance show with her husband Christopher that focuses on music and culture from the First World War era.

Holton has teamed up with photographer and cinematographer Mark Zelinski, who, during his 35-year career, has traveled to more than 70 countries to shoot a variety of compelling images, from modern lifestyle to ancient cultures, sports, people, wildlife and industries.

“He does beautiful work of families in extraordinary global circumstances, from very rich to very poor. He has an eye for detail and I’m looking forward to the collaboration,” said Holton.

Currently in pre-production, the film is set to be “as grounded as possible in Southern Ontario,” with most of the scenes taking place during the winter months. Holton and her crew are firming up locations, props and wardrobes are being organized and rehearsals will begin in November. She is hopeful the film will be ready for release to international film festivals and the public in September 2016.

As for the title of the short film, Holton said, “That’s part of the fun. People will just have to come out and see it to figure out what it means.”

A crowdfunding site has been set up to help raise money to offset production costs. It will be accessible the first week of September 2015 for 35 days. Those who wish to donate will be able to do so online.

Holton is also holding a three-hour fundraising art sale on September 20 at the Hamilton Beach Rescue Unit, 316 Beach Blvd. All items will be 50 per cent off. For more information, click here.
http://canadadaphotography.blogspot.ca/p/mlh-solo-sept-20th-2015.html

Article;
http://www.thespec.com/whatson-story/5811989-waterdown-artist-takes-a-seat-in-director-s-chair/

Top Bottom