Beach Canal Lighthouse Group Website

Sebastian

May 1, 2014
Beach Strip
Nothing major, as far as I can say.
Here is the description from the meeting from the email newsletter.
Since newsletters are usually public, I would assume, nobody minds me reposting it here:

Happy BCLG/school/unofficial "New" Year!

1) Please join us tomorrow night Wednesday, September 9, 7 (seven) pm for the Beach Canal Lighthouse Group's first General Meeting of 2015-16 .

The meeting will be in the Holland Room at the Burlington Central Library, 2331 New Street at 7:00 pm.

Noelle Holloway, a Haida Gwaii and Videographer / Associate Producer with Cinema 16 Productions (producers of Eyes of Memory, Captain George Thomson and other videos) will be giving a presentation on aboriginals in the Burlington-Hamilton area. Those of you who attended George (Sandy) Thomson's presentation earlier this year on his great great grandfather, Captain George Thomson, will recall meeting Noelle at that time.

See www.bclg.ca or contact bclg2003@hotmail.com or 905.549.4090.

2) Here are the two versions from the July 8 meeting, of the MP letter to inform your own correspondence to or questions of candidates in your own riding.

I've attached the draft letters in a Word document as well as copy pasted them below into the body of this e-mail.

Version 1) - Mr. name of federal member (government) of Parliament
"Dear Mr. Sweet:
I am very concerned about the Burlington Canal Lightstation. The 1858 light tower and 1857 former lightkeeper's dwelling (the oldest building on the Hamilton Beach Strip) have been vacant and deteriorating for decades.
When former Senator Pat Carney championed the Heritage Lighthouse Protection Act, I was delighted when the government passed it. It meant the community lighthouse groups, such as the one I belong to (Beach Canal Lighthouse Group), could and did in May 2012, apply to acquire and take care of our local cherished maritime landmarks.
So what has happened to that initiative?
1) What is the status of the Department of Fisheries and Oceans' (DFO) review of the business plan for the acquisition, restoration and re-use of the Burlington Canal lightstation?
2) Are there any other federal government departments involved in the review? If so, which department is leading is the review of the business plan submitted to DFO? Who is responsible for communicating with the Beach Canal Lighthouse Group?
3) How do the negotiations with the cities of Hamilton and Burlington and others on the transfer of the Burlington Canal liftbridge affect the federal government's review and decisions on the transfer of the Burlington Canal Lightstation to the community?
4) What is the timeframe for the DFO to transfer the previously declared surplus Burlington Canal Lightstation?
When you have citizens like me who are willing to take on what the government no longer wants but the taxpayers of this country paid for, why isn't your government at least responding to them?"

Version 2) - Mr. name of federal member (NON-government) of Parliament
"Dear Mr. Christopherson:
I am very concerned about the Burlington Canal Lightstation. The 1858 light tower and 1857 former lightkeeper's dwelling (the oldest building on the Hamilton Beach Strip) have been vacant and deteriorating for decades.
The federal government passed the Heritage Lighthouse Protection Act (HLPA) to protect heritage lighthouses when they transfer from federal ownership. The Department of Fisheries and Oceans declared the Burlington Canal Lightstation surplus to its needs in April 2010. The Beach Canal Lighthouse Group that I belong to, nominated the Burlington Canal Lightstation for heritage designation under the HLPA in May 2012 and submitted a business plan in July 2013 for the acquisition, restoration and re-use of the lightstation.
We haven't heard anything since.
1) What is the status of the Department of Fisheries and Oceans' (DFO) review of the business plan for the acquisition, restoration and re-use of the Burlington Canal lightstation?
2) Are there any other federal government departments involved in the review? If so, which department is leading is the review of the business plan submitted to DFO? Who is responsible for communicating with the Beach Canal Lighthouse Group?
3) How do the negotiations with the cities of Hamilton and Burlington and others on the transfer of the Burlington Canal liftbridge affect the federal government's review and decisions on the transfer of the Burlington Canal Lightstation to the community?
4) What is the timeframe for the DFO to transfer the previously declared surplus Burlington Canal Lightstation?
How can citizens like me who are willing to take on surplus public assets get our questions answered?

Top Bottom