Many dead long-tailed ducks on the beach-front

Sebastian

May 1, 2014
Beach Strip
I was walking yesterday, and I noticed many dead long-tailed ducks scattering the area between path and the lake.
I have probably seen like a dozen or more, and I was not really looking for them.

Do you know why this happened? Is that like a natural occurrence, due to bird migration or quality of water issue, pesticide use, etc?

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
I was walking yesterday, and I noticed many dead long-tailed ducks scattering the area between path and the lake.
I have probably seen like a dozen or more, and I was not really looking for them.

Do you know why this happened? Is that like a natural occurrence, due to bird migration or quality of water issue, pesticide use, etc?
Many ducks including the long tails have been migrating to the canal area for many years (in the winter) and I have never seen a die-off. I will have a look.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
I watch those ducks in canal and they do dive down and bring to the surface what looks like zebra mussels, the gull sit and wait for them and steal their catch. I was thinking that these mussels were toxic and not very good for them.

I did walk along the shore today but didn't any small dead ducks, a couple of bigger cormorants were there but their demise was likely the hydro lines (seen one at Dieppe Park too). Did see a lot of garbage that has washed up.

Sebastian

May 1, 2014
Beach Strip
I probably should have said when I seen those, it was towards the lift bridge, maybe 500m away, mostly on the grass area, sometimes really close to asphalt walking path.
Maybe they have clean those up already.

rprouse

Nov 10, 2009
Beach Blvd
I am pretty sure the majority are killed by the power lines. I've actually seen a couple killed that way. I think you are just noticing it more because of Hydro cleared so much underbrush so you can see them more easily. I haven't seen much change in the numbers, but my dogs used to find the ones that you wouldn't see before.

Should we start an environmental petition to have the power lines taken down because they are killing migrating birds? :)

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Rob;
I have watched the ducks that Sebastian is referring to and from what I have seen, they don't do much flying. They come in the winter months and stay in the area of the canal and there are a lot of them when it's cold. Didn't see as many this year maybe because of the warmer weather. If something disturbs them, then they fly move to another section of the canal or just past it and never more than about ten feet off the surface of the water.
I did walk around the canal section of the beach today and didn't see any dead birds, a couple live ones along with some geese and the regular gulls. It is possible that someone has already picked them up.
(BTW, I could see a lot more thanks to Hydro One and it isn't pretty.)

Top Bottom