scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Posted with permission from the Hamilton Spectator

Hamilton Spectator
July 6th, 2016

The Burlington lift bridge is back open to road traffic following an accident during construction Wednesday — but it will be closed indefinitely to water traffic below.

Two workers were sent to hospital — one with life threatening injuries — around 1:30 p.m. Wednesday. They had been stringing an electrical cable near the top of the bridge when it snapped, injuring them.

One worker was sent to Hamilton General Hospital with life-threatening injuries. The other's injuries were minor; he was sent to Joseph Brant Hospital.

Halton police and Burlington firefighters investigated and have cleared the scene.

While there were reports on social media that some scaffolding had collapsed on the bridge, Halton police Staff Sgt. Stephanie Jamieson and Fire Platoon Chief Craig Slack said they could not confirm that.

A $12 million construction project is currently underway on the bridge, which includes replacing the bridge's controls, drives and cables.

The replacement of key components of the lift system are designed to extend the life of the bridge, which opened in 1962.

With files from the Canadian Press
http://www.thespec.com/news-story/6...reatening-injuries-on-burlington-lift-bridge/

Sharla1

Oct 15, 2009
I hope they are going to be ok. The ships aren't going to be happy when they can't get through. But they have to do the investigation. So no ways around it.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
I hope they are going to be ok. The ships aren't going to be happy when they can't get through. But they have to do the investigation. So no ways around it.
I am told that it was back to normal operations by 9pm last night, so shipping should not of been delayed too much.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
I am told that it was back to normal operations by 9pm last night, so shipping should not of been delayed too much.

Top Bottom