Falcons of 2017

Sharla1

Oct 15, 2009
It looks like no chicks downtown this year. Another bad year.

The 2 chicks at the lift bridge nest were one female named Ann and the male was named Bronte.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
It looks like no chicks downtown this year. Another bad year.

The 2 chicks at the lift bridge nest were one female named Ann and the male was named Bronte.
I didn't know the downtown falcons had bad years? The Bridge didn't have any hatchlings last year but there were three at one point this year and one unhatched egg.
The Peregrine website is having issues, therefore no pictures on display of the banding, but attached are a couple from about a month ago of the new additions.

Attachments

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Where abouts on the lift bridge is the nest? And are you able to view it with binoculars?
Yes you would be able to see the nesting box with binoculars, this is a picture of the banding from a couple years ago. You can see the box between the two windows of the north tower on the canal side. The board that covers the front of the box during the banding process is being removed (by me actually).

Sharla1

Oct 15, 2009
Here is another picture of the bridge nest. As you are travelling into Burlington.

Lift-Bridge-nest.jpg

Last edited:

Sharla1

Oct 15, 2009
I was thinking of when MadamX was still there. Her last year at that nest she didn't lay any. But she was very old at that time. The female at the Stoney Creek quarry died last year. So there was no nesting there.

Sharla1

Oct 15, 2009
Yes lots of seagulls and good water source. Beautiful birds and nice to see them back.

I'm not sure how the bald eagle nest is doing at Cootes Paradise.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Yes lots of seagulls and good water source. Beautiful birds and nice to see them back.

I'm not sure how the bald eagle nest is doing at Cootes Paradise.
They don't bother with the gulls, mostly smaller birds and lots of tasty pigeons.
I was standing beside one of the regular bird photographers a few years back when someone mentioned something about seagulls in the water, he said that there wasn't any sea around here and that was a ring billed gull. I don't call them seagulls anymore just to be safe.

Sharla1

Oct 15, 2009
Any news on the lift bridge nest this year?

There were 4 males in the downtown nest this year. But sadly one got hit by a car and died.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
There were three but one passed around the banding time then one went missing about week or so ago and the last one of went missing as well within the last few days. I didn't even find out what they named them this year.

Last edited:
Top Bottom