Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Councillor Chad Collins:
Neighbourhood Report
December 2017

BEACH COMMUNITY EDITION

SPEED BOARDS ON BEACH BLVD
As previously noted in an e-news update, electronic speed boards have been installed at three locations on Beach Blvd. Early next year, residents will have the opportunity to access 'real time' information online including traffic volumes, average speed, and other relevant information. I'll be certain to provide the web address on the City's website when it's up and running. Special thanks to the Hamilton Beach Community representatives for working with me on this issue.

271 BEACH BLVD OMB RESULTS
In August we received good news from the Ontario Municipal Board that we were successful with our denial of the planning application at 271 Beach Blvd. The decision is an important one as it reaffirms the guiding development principles contained in the Beach Neighbourhood Plan and will assist with future development applications at other locations. Thank you to the Beach Community Council for their guidance and assistance, and the dozens of residents who signed the online petition, attended the planning meetings at City Hall and the OMB hearing. The developer is now investigating single family homes at this location. I'll keep you posted with their development plans.

CONFEDERATION BEACH PARK UPDATE
The City of Hamilton has a contract with Alpine Green to complete works at the former Confederation Park campground site. Construction started mid-October and is substantially complete. The work involved the demolition and removal of the former house and central washroom building, removals of the former campground infrastructure, and general clearing and grubbing of vegetation. These works are in preparation of the planned construction of the first phase of the new sports park that includes an outdoor playstructure, pickleball courts, soccer and cricket pitch.

CENTENNIAL PARKWAY GO STATION
Provincial officials have contacted my office to advise that plans are underway to start construction on the new GO station located at Centennial Parkway and Arrowsmith Road. Stage 2 of the project has. now commenced, and activities include rail corridor clearing and grubbing, sewer connection, culvert
extensions and tunnel excavations, building demolition and new building excavation. Like other GO stations in the Hamilton-Halton area, the new station will include the following amenities: ticket sales, shops and waiting areas, an island platform with elevators, bus loop with heated shelters, drop off area, parking and direct stair access from the platform to Centennial Parkway. It's anticipated that the new station will be operational in 2019/2020. My next newsletter will include the most recent design and layout of the site.

VOLUNTEERS NEEDED FOR FOOD BANK
For the past 3 years, a volunteer group of local residents have worked with me to find a suitable commercial location to open a new food bank in Ward
5. As reported in a previous newsletter update, our group has secured space at 625 Greenhill Avenue. The facility will provide additional food security for
east end residents, and will offer educational classes with the assistance of the City's Public Health Department.
We have a lot of work ahead of us including the retrofit of the commercial space, securing the necessary food to distribute to the community, fundraising and other planning initiatives. Interested volunteers are encouraged to contact my office for more information.

REG WHEELER PARK HISTORICAL PANEL
Since 2013 I've worked with residents and neighbourhood associations to celebrate and honour the lives of individuals and families for whom we've named our Ward 5 parks after. This month, panels celebrating the local contributions of Mr. Sam Manson, and the Veevers Family will be installed at prominent locations in Sam Manson and Veevers Parks. Plans are currently underway to create a panel for former Alderman Reg Wheeler. The panel will most likely be completed in the new year, and installed during the spring of2018.

PETITION FOR LIFT BRIDGE OPERATION
For quite some time my office has forwarded requests to the Federal and Provincial governments to install electronic message boards on the 403 Highway advising residents that the lift bridge is 'up'. For your information the Federal Government owns and operates the lift bridge and the Provincial Government owns and operates the 400 series highways. My past request(s) to install electronic signage on the highway has fallen on deaf ears. Earlier this year city council approved my motion formally requesting the same. In consultation with local residents I've created an online petition to assist with the initiative, and hope you'll find time to sign at your convenience at www.chadcollins.ca.

BEACH BLVD RECONSTRUCTION
My office has received a couple of inquiries about the timing of repaving Beach Blvd, and neighbourhood sidewalk replacement. Please note that we're in the final stages of selling surplus residential lots. Some of the lots may require pavement cuts. As such, the repaving of Beach Blvd will be scheduled after the majority of lots are developed along the street. I anticipate paving will be scheduled and funded for 2020. In addition to the repaving work, Public Works staff has' scheduled the replacement of the aging sidewalks in the area and we anticipate this work to proceed ahead of the repaving work. Sidewalks (and driveway ramps) may be constructed as early as 2019.

SLOW DOWN' LAWN SIGNS
Last year, the City of Hamilton's Traffic Department created and distributed lawn signs to remind and caution motorists of their speed. My office has
redesigned the signs and the new version is now available to the public. If you're interested in displaying a 'SLOW DOWN' sign on your lawn, contact my office and one will be delivered to you.

NEW OR REPLACEMENT BLUE BOXES
If you require a new blue box to increase your household recycling activities or to replace lost or damaged boxes, please contact my office and I will
personally deliver one (or more) to your home.

TREE PLANTING
City Forestry staff continue to plant trees in the neighbourhood and other areas of the ward, utilizing resources from the Ward 5 area rating fund. If you're interested in planting a tree on the boulevard in front of your home, or the road allowance portion of your front yard, please contact my office, and I'll forward a list for your consideration.

QUESTIONS, COMMENTS, QUERIES ...
For the past number of years I have distributed newsletters and community reports to neighbourhoods across Ward 5. If you have questions or comments please do not hesitate to contact me at City Hall (905-546-2716), my home (905-545-3737) or by email: (ccollins@hamilton.ca ).

Top Bottom