807 Beach Blvd.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
This place use to be one of the many stores that were on the Beach. At one time it belonged to Knowles' sisters, Elsie and Lillian, then for a time the Jones family lived there and also operated the convenience store. It is now one of the Beach pumping stations for the sewer system.
Thanks to J. Kemp :tbu: for sending in these pictures which were taken in February 1980 just as the store closed and was in the process of being demolished.

Dec 1, 2004
Longueuil, Quebec
The interior of the Knowles store and one of the two sisters who owned it are shown on page 79 of Gary Evan's "Prints along the Beach". Also in that picture is Miriam Piesanen, the sister of my very good friend Ron who happened to stop in at the time the picture was taken. The Piesanens lived on the second story of a building owned by the Petries which I think was adjacent to the old Green Gables if my memory is correct.
I used to help out the Knowles sisters from time to time when they needed someone to organize the empty cartons in their basement. It was always damp and smelly down there but easy money. I am surprised that the building was there until 1980. I wonder if it operated as a grocery or convenience store until then?
It is nice that the Beach has a sewer system. When I lived there we had to make do with septic tanks and leach fields. I lived on the lake side of the road and flooding was not a problem there (except in the basement) but I imagine those who lived on the lower elevations on the Bay side must have had a real problem with their systems during flooding.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Another good post from Crawfish. :tbu:
The Petries lived at 1117 Beach Blvd which apparently, according to Fred is the official Heart House. The house is located just south of the canoe shop and a few lots north of Green Gables.
Here is a picture from when the hearts were still part the veranda-

http://www.hamiltonbeachcommunity.com/gallery/BeachHouses1980/8065_G?full=1
As for our new sewer system, not all residents have switch over yet and when the lake gets up you can still smell the odd tank or leach field overflowing.
Attached is the page from Gary Evan's book which shows the interior of the store that Crawfish was commenting on. Thanks again to Gary Evans.

David O'Reilly

Dec 15, 2012
Crawfish
12-16-2004, 08:11 PM
"The interior of the Knowles store and one of the two sisters who owned it are shown on page 79 of Gary Evan's "Prints along the Beach". Also in that picture is Miriam Piesanen, the sister of my very good friend Ron who happened to stop in at the time the picture was taken. The Piesanens lived on the second story of a building owned by the Petries which I think was adjacent to the old Green Gables if my memory is correct.
I used to help out the Knowles sisters from time to time when they needed someone to organize the empty cartons in their basement. It was always damp and smelly down there but easy money. I am surprised that the building was there until 1980. I wonder if it operated as a grocery or convenience store until then?
It is nice that the Beach has a sewer system. When I lived there we had to make do with septic tanks and leach fields. I lived on the lake side of the road and flooding was not a problem there (except in the basement) but I imagine those who lived on the lower elevations on the Bay side must have had a real problem with their systems during flooding."

Scott,

When did the beach get the sewer system?________________________________________

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Scott,

When did the beach get the sewer system?________________________________________
I would guess the project was started about 15 years ago, there was an eight year payment plan that was added to our taxes to pay for the section that installed in front of our property. I finished paying mine about a few years ago.

Top Bottom