Hamilton Street Guide

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Had this sent in, the Hamilton Street Guide lists all the sidestreets and Stations as they were back in 1940. Keep in mind that the Stations were removed a long time ago and many of the sidestreets were renamed when Hamilton annex the Beach Strip. This complimentary guide was given out by the Royal Tea Rooms, 174 Beach Blvd. (Phone 4-2667)

Attachments

Fred Briggs

Beach History Moderator
May 27, 2004
Stoney Creek
hamiltonbeachcommunity.com
That's great, Scotto! I've had my eyes peeled for a list like that (but a map would be even better!) for a few years. Thanks for posting it, and a big thank you to the donor!
By the way, I believe the Royal Tea Room was later better known as Hughie Dalzel's (spelling may be wrong - there was never any reason to pay attention to the spelling) little store, and as I remember, it was right at Station 4.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Beside the stamp of the Royal Tea Room was written "Dalzell", a bit hard to read, but as you wrote the spelling doesn't matter. Also sent in was a newspaper clipping(Likely from the Spec) from around the late 50's when the Beach Strip was taken over by the City of Hamilton. Many of the sidestreets had to be renamed because the name was already in use by Hamilton.

(11) To "Dexter Avenue", the whole of Albany Avenue the Burlington Beach Strip, as there is already an Albany Avenue In the City;
(12) To "Harbour Lane", the whole of Bell Avenue on the Burlington Beach Strip, as there is already a Bell Avenue in the City;
(13) To "Renfrew Avenue", the whole of Cottage Grove on the Burlington Beach Strip, as there is already a Cottage Avenue in the City;
(14) To "Granville Avenue", the whole of Belview Avenue on the Burlington Beach Strip, as there is already a Belview Avenue in the City;
(15) To "Lagoon Avenue", the whole of Brighton Avenue on the Burlington Beach Strip, as there is already a Brighton Avenue in the City;
(16) To "Kirk Road", the whole of Fairview Avenue on the Burlington Beach Strip, as there is already a Fairview Avenue in the City;
(17) To "Trafalgar Boulevard", the whole of Kenmore Boulevard on the Burlington Beach Strip, as there is already a Kenmore Road in the City;
(18) To "Dieppe Avenue", the whole of Morden Avenue on the Burlington Beach Strip, as there is already a Morden Avenue in the City;
(19) To "Omaha Street", the whole of Morris Street on the Burlington Beach Strip, as there is already a Morris Street in the City;
(20) To "Yale Avenue", the whole of South Park Avenue on the Burlington Beach Strip, as there is already a South Street in the City;
(21) To "Swan Avenue", the whole of Turner Avenue on the Burlington Beach Strip, as there is already a Turner Avenue in the City;
(22) To "Comet Avenue", the whole of Waverly Avenue on the Burlington Beach Strip, as there is already a Waverly Avenue in the City;
(23) To "Sierra Lane", the whole of Wright's Lane on the Burlington Beach Strip, as there is already a Wright Avenue in the City;
(24) To "Manor Avenue", the whole of First Avenue on the Burlington Beach Strip, as there is already a West First Street in the City;
(25) To "Pandora Avenue", the whole of Second Avenue on the Burlington Beach Strip, as there is already a Second Avenue in the City;
(26) To "Locarno Avenue.", the whole of Sixth Avenue on the Burlington Beach Strip, as there is already a Sixth Avenue in the City;
(27) To "Killarney Avenwe" the whole of Seventh Avenue on the Burlington Beach Strip,' as there is already a Seventh Avenue in the City;

As for a map of the old sidestreet setup, the Library has a good one that I did copy, but not very well-
http://hamiltonbeachcommunity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=298
check the last post(as of today).

Fred Briggs

Beach History Moderator
May 27, 2004
Stoney Creek
hamiltonbeachcommunity.com
That's wonderful, Scotto. I've never seen that list. Are you going to post it as a scan? If there is some reason why you can't or won't, could you please give me the date of the article, or was it cut off as it is in most saved newspaper articles. By the way, there's a hint to everyone -- when you cut out an article for preservation, be sure to add the date to it, or better yet cut out a big enough piece that the the masthead, along with the date and page number, is kept attached. Sometimes people save items and years later there isn't even a clue as to where it was published, let alone when! In fact, you might as well save the whole page, because years later, other things on the page (on both or either side) will take on new importance, or interest, or just charm!

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
I get a lot of articles with no date and then a good guess has to be used. Yes, it would be nice if everyone dated them, but sometimes it's just good enough that they kept it for all these years. I assume you mean the Spec article from this thread, I can post the original scan(was OCR), but it is really rough and hard to read without expanding the scan all the way(the little button on the bottom right when you put the cursor on the picture).

Attachments

Drogo

Feb 8, 2005
1952 Street Directory--Station locations

Sorry I can't find the thread where there were discussions about where the Stations were on the Beach. I found this today. Some of my father's things. It's a City Of Hamilton Street Directory. Dated 12M-11-52. Cost 20¢. About 2 1/2" X 5". Shirt pocket '52 GPS.

BURLINGTON BEACH
ALBANY AVE., Lakeside, Station 6, from 537 Beach Blvd.
BAY SHORE DR., Bayside, Station 9.
BAYSIDE AVE., Bayside, Station 5, from 372 Beach Blvd.
BAYVIEW AVE., Bayside, from Knapman's Dr
BEACH BLVD., Lakeside, from Windermere Cut.
BELLEVUE, Bayside, Station 8, from 620 Beach Blvd.
BELL'S LANE, from 456 Beach Blvd.
BRIGHTON AVE., Bayside, Station 6, from 564 Beach Blvd
CLARE AVE., bet. Station 6 and 8, from 570 Beach Blvd.
COTTAGE GROVE AVE., from 770 Beach Blvd
DUNRAVEN AVE., Bayside, Station 10, from 814 Beach Blvd.
DYNES PARK, from 313 Beach Blvd.
FAIRVIEW AVE., Bayside, between Station 4 and Dynes, from 230 Beach Blvd.
FIFTH AVE., Lakside, between Station 10 and 12, from 831 Beach Blvd.
FIRST AVE., Lakeside, between Station 16 and 18.
FITCH AVE., Lakeside, between Dynes and Station 5, from 363 Beach Blvd.
FOURTH AVE., Lakeside, between Station 12 and 14.
GRAFTON AVE., Bayside, Station 8, from 646 Beach Blvd.
HOMEWOOD LANE, from 445 Beach Blvd.
HULBERT DRIVE, from 428 Beach Blvd.
KENMORE BLVD., Bayside, from Brighton Ave.
KNAPMAN'S DR., Bayside, between Station 8 and 9, from 692 Beach Blvd.
LAKESIDE AVE., between Dynes and Station 5, from 377 Beach Blvd.
MAREVE AVE., Lakeside, Dynes, from 305 Beach Blvd.
MORDEN AVE., Bayside, Station 6, from 554 Beach Blvd.
MORRIS AVE., Bayside, n. of Canal, Station 26.
NORTH PK. AVE., Bayside, between Station 9 and 10, from 750 Beach Blvd.
PARK DRIVE, from Park Ave. to N. Park Ave.
PRIVATE ROAD, Bayside, Station 5.
PUBLIC LANE, To Lake, Station 4.
PUBLIC LANE, to Bay, Station 4.
PUBLIC ROAD, To Bay, Station 10.
SECOND AVE., Lakeside, Station 16.
SIXTH AVE., Lakeside, Station 10, from 788 Beach Blvd.
SOUTH PARK AVE., Bayside, Station 9, from 732 Beach Blvd.
THIRD AVE., Lakeside, Station 14.
TURNER'S DR., from 410 Beach Blvd.
WARK AVE., Bayside, between Station 4 and Dynes, from 272 Beach Blvd.
WAVERLY AVE., Bayside, Station 8, from 628 Beach Blvd.
WICKHAM AVE., Bayside, between Station 8 and 9, from 674 Bleach Blvd.
WILLOW AVE., Bayside n. of Canal, Station 26.
WINDERMERE AVE., Bayside Station 9, from 712 Beach Blvd.
WRIGHT LANE, Lakeside, between Station 5 and 6, from 491 Beach Blvd.
WOODLAND AVE., from 579 Beach Blvd.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------end

If anyone can give the current names of streets I will make notations on this note.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
If anyone can give the current names of streets I will make notations on this note.
Many of the streets had a name change when the Beach became a part of the City of Hamilton, many of the streets were removed for different reason, the main one was the building of the Skyway Bridge.
Gary Evan's has donated a whole chapter in his latest book explaining what happened to Beach sidestreets and how they were named originally.
We also have a few older maps that have the names that you have listed, I will see if I can dig one up.

David O'Reilly

Dec 15, 2012
scotto
08-03-2005, 10:37 PM
Had this sent in, the Hamilton Street Guide lists all the sidestreets and Stations as they were back in 1940. Keep in mind that the Stations were removed a long time ago and many of the sidestreets were renamed when Hamilton annex the Beach Strip. This complimentary guide was given out by the Royal Tea Rooms, 174 Beach Blvd. (Phone 4-2667)

It would be interesting to develop a timeline for the development of roads and streets on the beach. Here's a snippitt from 1895 about some east/west streets.

"(43) By the summer of 1895, the city of Hamilton had formal control over about one-third of the total land area of the beach strip and of the land it controlled, about one-fifth already had been leased to private individuals. Other parts of the city's land had been devoted to six short avenues running between the central beach road and the lake. These landscaped avenues would allow for further property development while ensuring that those who had built summer residences would continue to be able to reach the lake."

"The growth of the permanent population on the beach also was stimulated by road development and the rise of motor car transport. The completion of a bascule bridge across the canal and the paving of the beach road in the early 1920s accommodated an increasing number of automobiles and trucks."

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/"The+...inst+Them:"+Class,+Environment,...-a081762577

David O'Reilly

Dec 15, 2012
scotto
10-30-2013, 05:39 PM
"If anyone can give the current names of streets I will make notations on this note.

Many of the streets had a name change when the Beach became a part of the City of Hamilton, many of the streets were removed for different reason, the main one was the building of the Skyway Bridge.
Gary Evan's has donated a whole chapter in his latest book explaining what happened to Beach sidestreets and how they were named originally.
We also have a few older maps that have the names that you have listed, I will see if I can dig one up."

Scott, can you give the name of Gary Evan's book?________________________________________

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Interstate's Hamilton and Vicinity

I came by this directory titled, Interstate's Hamilton and Vicinity, I don't see a date anywhere but the price was a bit more than Peggy's find from above (75 cents). So I assume that it is a little newer.

BURLINGTON BEACH STREETS

Albany Av, Lakeside, Sta 6 fr 537 Beach Blvd
Bay Shore Dr, Bayside, Sta 9
Bayside Av, Bayside, Sta 5 fr 372 Beach Blvd s'ly to Hamilton Harbor
Bayview Av, Bayside, fr Knapman's Dr
Beach Rd fr Beach Blvd sw'ly to Hamilton line
Beach Blvd, Lakeside, fr Windermere Cut-off nw'ly (see Hwy No 20 & Queen Elizabeth Hwy)
Bellview fr 620 Beach Blvd s'ly to Kenmore Blvd
Bell's La fr 456 Beach Blvd
Brighton Av, Bayside, Sta 6, fr bey 564 Beach Blvd s'ly to Kenmore Blvd
Clare Av, Bayside, bet Sta 6 & 8, fr 570 Beach Blvd s'ly to Kenmore Blvd
Cottage Grove Av fr 770 Beach Blvd
Dunhaven Av, Bayside, Sta 10 fr 814 Beach Blvd s'ly to Hamilton Harbor
Dynes Pk fr 313 Beach Blvd
Fail-view Av, Bayside, bet Sta 4 &. Dynes, fr 230 Beach Blvd
Fifth, Lakeside, bet Sta 10 & 12, fr 831 Beach Blvd
First Av, Lakeside, bet Sta 16 & 18
Fitch Av, Lakeside, bet Dynes & Sta 5, fr 363 Beach Blvd
Fourth Av, Lakeside, bet Sta 12 & 14
Grafton Av, Bayside, Sta 8 fr 646 Beach Blvd s'ly to Kenmore Blvd
Harvey Av fr Beach Blvd s'ly to Hamilton Harbor
Homewood La fr 445 Beach Blvd
Highway No 20 see Queen Elizabeth Hwy
Highway No 20A see Winder-mere cut-off
Hulbert Dr fr 428 Beach Blvd
Kenmore Blvd, Bayside, fr Brighton Av w'ly to Grafton Av
Knapman's Dr, Bayside, bet Sta 8 & 9 fr 692 Beach Blvd
Lakeside Av, bet Dynes & Sta 5 fr 377 Beach Blvd
Mareve Av, Lakeside, Dynes, fr 305 Beach Blvd
Morden Av, Bayside, Sta 6 fr 554 Beach Blvd s'ly to Hamilton Harbor
North Pk Av, Bayside, bet Sta 9 & 10 fr 750 Beach Blvd s'ly to Hamilton Harbor
Park Dr fr Park Av to N Park Av
Private Rd, Bayside, Sta 5
Public La, Sta 4 to lake
Public Rd, Sta 10 to bay
Queen Elizabeth Hwy (Hwy No 20) fr Hamilton line nw'lv al Beach Blvd
Second Av, Lakeside, Sta 16
Sixth Av, Lakeside, Sta 10 fr 788 Beach Blvd
Sixth Av, Bayside, Sta 10 fr 788 Beach Blvd s'ly to Hamilton Harbor
South Pk Av, Bayside, Sta 9 fr 732 Beach Blvd s'ly to Hamilton Harbor
Third Av, Lakeside, Sta 14
Turner's Dr fr 410 Beach Blvd
Wark Av, Bayside, Sta 4& Dynes fr 272 Beach Blvd s'ly to Hamilton Harbor
Waverly Av, Bayside, Sta. 8 fr 628 Beach Blvd s'ly to Kenmore Blvd
Wickham Av, Bayside bet Sta 8 & 9 fr 674 Beach Blvd s'ly to Hamilton Harbor
Willow Av, Bayside, Sta 26 fr n of Canal
Windermere Av, Bayside, Sta 9fr 712 Beach Blvd s'ly to DE
Windermere Cut-off fr Beach Blvd sw'ly to Beach Rd (Hamilton) (see Hwy No 20A)
Wright La, Lakeside, bet Sta 6 & 6 fr 491 Beach Blvd
Woodland Av fr 579 Beach Blvd

Click on map for full size;
View attachment 2729

Attachments

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Picked up another street directory, this one is slightly different from the others with new streets I haven't heard of;

BURLINGTON BEACH
AGINCOURT. from 391 Beach Road.
ALBANY AVE.. from 539 Beach Blvd.
BAY SHORE DR., Bayside. Sta. 9.
BAYSIDE AVE.. from 366 Beach Blvd.
BAYVIEW AV., Bayside. from Knapman's Drive.
BEACH BLVD. (Lakeside), from Windermere Cut.
BELLEVUE AVE., from 620 Beach Blvd.
BELL'S LANE, from 456 Beach Blvd
BRIGHTON AVE., from 560 Beach Blvd.
CLARE AVE., from 580 Beach Blvd.
COTTAGE GROVE AVE., from 770 Beach Blvd.
DUNRAVIN AVE., from 814 Beach Blvd.
DYNES PARK, from 313 Beach Blvd.
FAIRVIEW AVE., from 220 Beach Blvd.
FIFTH AVE., Lakeside, bet. Sta. 10 and 12.
FIRST AVE., Lakeside, bet. Sta. 16 and 18.
FITCH AVE., from 360 Beach Blvd.
FOURTH AVE.. Lakeside, bet. Sta. 12 and 14.
GRAFTON AVE., from 660 Beach Blvd.
HAMPTON, from 331 Beach Road.
HOMEWOOD LANE, from 445 Beach Blvd.
HULBERT DRIVE,, from 428 Beach Blvd.
KENMORE BT.V.. Bayside. from Brighton Ave.
KNAPMAN'S DR.. from 692 Beach Blvd.
LAKESIDE AVE., from 365 Beach Blvd.
LYNDHURST. from 181 Beach Road.
MAREVE AVE.. from 293 Beach Blvd.
MORDEN AVE.. from 554 Beach Blvd.
MORRIS AVE. Bayside. N. of Canal. Sta. 26.
NORTH PARK AVE.. from 750 Beach. Blvd.
PARK DRIVE, from Park Ave. to N. Park Ave.
PRIVATE ROAD, Bayside, Sta. 5.
PUBLIC LANE, To Lake. Sta. 4.
PUBLIC LANE to Bay, Sta. 4.
PUBLIC ROAD, to Bay, Sta. 10.
ROWANWOOD, from 213 Beach Road.
SECOND AVE., Lakeside. Sta. 16.
SIXTH AVE., from 788 Beach Blvd.
SOUTH PARK AVE., from 732 Beach Blvd.
THIRD AVE.. Lakeside. Sta. 14.
TURNER'S DR., from 410 Beach Blvd.
WARK AVE.. from 270 Beach Blvd.
WAVERLEY AVE., from 640 Beach Blvd.
WICKHAM AVE.. from 674 Beach Blvd.
WINDERMERE AVE., from 712 Beach Blvd.
WILLOW AVE.. Bayside. N. of Canal. Sta. 26.
WOODLAND AVE., from 579 Beach Blvd.
WOODLEIGH. from 375 Beach Road.
WRIGHT AVE., from 483 Beach Blvd.

Top Bottom