609 Beach Blvd/Holiday House Then

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
609 Beach Blvd Then;(From "The Beach Strip" Cultural Landmarks of Hamilton)
"In 1905, a group of women from the Anglican Church founded the Girls' Friendly Society Holiday House. They provided accommodations on the Beach for girls and women needing rest or a change of air and surroundings. Most of these girls and women paid, but some were given free lodgings. The holiday house was quite popular initially, but had lost its appeal to young women by 1942 and was sold."
------------------------------------------
The building was sold to the Pillings family, the tennis courts and land that were a part of the Holiday House were sold to the next door neighbour, Jim Fisher. A year later, the government took over the house and turned it into an apartment complex to be used as central housing for military servicemen and their families.
About thirty five years ago, the tennis courts were removed and two houses built in their place.
Thanks to Graham Pillings

Photo from Hamilton Library Special Collections
Holiday House Post Card

Attachments

Dec 1, 2004
Longueuil, Quebec
Now I know where the tennis courts came from on the Fisher property. Also, remember that I posted a picture of the Ireland house after the fire (at 633 Beach Blvd) and that I mentioned that this was next door to the Fisher property. As I recall, Mr. Fisher owned a brass foundry and was considered by us to be a wealthy man (probably because he had a tennis court).

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Now I know where the tennis courts came from on the Fisher property. Also, remember that I posted a picture of the Ireland house after the fire (at 633 Beach Blvd) and that I mentioned that this was next door to the Fisher property. As I recall, Mr. Fisher owned a brass foundry and was considered by us to be a wealthy man (probably because he had a tennis court).
This is the thread on the Ireland house;
http://hamiltonbeachcommunity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=339

Attached is a pic from today, on the left is the Ireland house, next is what I assume is the Fisher property? Two somewhat new houses, the one on the right was where the tennis courts were located and the house on the right was the Holiday House, now just 609 Beach Blvd.

Attachments

Dec 1, 2004
Longueuil, Quebec
Thanks for that Scotto. How some things change! Incidently, I don't know if the Fishers ever played tennis but my sisters were very interested and finally worked up the courage to ask if they could play on the court. They got permission to do so once but were turned away the next time.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Thanks for that Scotto. How some things change! Incidently, I don't know if the Fishers ever played tennis but my sisters were very interested and finally worked up the courage to ask if they could play on the court. They got permission to do so once but were turned away the next time.
We use to play ballhockey there and we never bother to ask for permission, bad manners.
But that would of been many years later.

Added;
A picture of the tennis court no doubt taken from upper floor of Holiday House.
Credit, F. Briggs collection.

Attachments

Last edited:
Top Bottom