Skyway Canvas, Macs Milk & Ryan's Then

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Skyway Canvas, Macs Milk & Ryan's Drug Store are shown in this picture. The Barber Shop is still there but it is closed down. Skyway Canvas owns this pic and it can be seen on the front counter as you walk in.

Attachments

Dec 1, 2004
Longueuil, Quebec
I remember the barber shop. When I lived on the Beach it was operated by a man by the name of George Stockfish and he gave me many a trim which used to set me back all of 25 cents.
Ryan's drugstore used to be further down the Beach next to the convenience store (I don't know the name today but it was in the 700 area). The convenience store used to be owned by the Pembertons and was sold to the Petts. After Bill Ryan left that location his place was occupied by a haberdashery operated by Claude Evans. I wonder if he was any relation to Gary Evans?
Also, Kotlarz's Grocery (where the castle is now) used to be operated by Mr. Wiggett who was also a butcher and was known locally as 'Wiggy'.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Crawfish;
Thanks for the history lesson, but all well before my time. While on another topic, our History Moderator, Fred Briggs wrote about Ryan's being located in the building that became the Drycleaners which was beside the convenience store (Ernie's Lunch, 721 Beach Blvd.), here is the link-

http://hamiltonbeachcommunity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=96

That was the first time I heard that Ryan's Drugstore was anywhere except in the plaza shown in the above picture.
Fred was also talking to the Kotlarz's family, I guess he trying to get some info about the "z" in their name because of some confusion in a Spectator article from last summer. When they owned the store, the "z" was removed for some reason, after the store was sold and they moved, they but the "z" back in their name. I remember the Kotlar's (Kotlarz's) store, but not "Wiggy", again well before my time.
The next time I'm talking with Gary Evans, I will ask him if there is any connection with Claude and himself.
Thanks again, Scotto :D

shamsson

Jul 30, 2004
Near Atlanta, Georgia
Hi guys,

I remember when Mac's became "Pop-in" Variety store. It had later shut down and then for a while it became "Milan Cule's Karate & Fitness Centre". I took classes there in 1985. I made it to Yellow belt and for some reason gave up. I don't know what happened to the Cule family. I think they were living in Stoney Creek at the time. Oh the nostalgic memories.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Milan was on the Beach, I bought his house, so he had to move. :D He is still around and now living in Dunnville. He was also in Grimsby for a while. The "Pop-In" is a Blind & Shutter place now.
Scotto

Dec 1, 2004
Longueuil, Quebec
Regarding Ryan's drugstore next to the convenience store, if you look on page 78 of Gary Evan's "Prints Along The Beach" you will see the store with a 'Drugs' sign out front. Although the sign doesn't carry Ryan's name that is where Bill Ryan began his Beach business and as the caption to the print mentions, the store featured a soda fountain and I remember sitting on the classic wire-backed chairs that were a feature of all soda fountains then.
A couple of doors down (beside the butcher shop) was an alley where the Hann and Christian ice and coal business was located.

randyrap

May 12, 2004
Stoney Creek
Hey Craw.
I remember that barber shop too. My mom tells me it was the first barbershop I ever had a cut at. Sure wish I still had hair.
LOL ........... Randy

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Crawfish said:
Regarding Ryan's drugstore next to the convenience store, if you look on page 78 of Gary Evan's "Prints Along The Beach" you will see the store with a 'Drugs' sign out front. Although the sign doesn't carry Ryan's name that is where Bill Ryan began his Beach business and as the caption to the print mentions, the store featured a soda fountain and I remember sitting on the classic wire-backed chairs that were a feature of all soda fountains then.
Thanks Crawfish;
I have looked though Gary's book many times, but never made that connection until Fred brought it up, I guess I should of did a little more reading. :eek:
I have attached the picture Crawfish is writing about, thanks to Gary Evans.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
randyrap said:
Hey Craw.
I remember that barber shop too. My mom tells me it was the first barbershop I ever had a cut at. Sure wish I still had hair.
LOL ........... Randy
I grew up at the other end of the Beach, we used Murray's Barbershop which was located on the corner of Manor Ave, the building is still there. Wish I still had hair too. :D

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Had this one sent in by one of our members. I have added one question, then John's reply.
Thanks to John Ryan

Hi, this is John Ryan, my Dad had the drug store which adjoined 532 and for a time we actually were co-owners of the building which was a fish and chips shop in the mid 60's. I'm attaching a picture of it here. Jerry Male, who used to run the fish and chip place used to make us very nice dinners which he would carry through a doorway into our store. That doorway later became just a window near the front of the building on the north side.

Scotto said:
Is this the building at the south end of the stores where the drug store was?? Later became the Pop-In?
Would Jerry be the Males that are still on Lagoon Ave?
Hi Scott...yes...the store that became the "Pop-In" #532 (south end)...right beside (actually attached to) my Dad's store at 534. 534 was torn down when we moved out as was the barber shop, leaving only the Pop-In and the Skyway Canvas Repair shop. I remember eating fish and chips in that store (532) because my Mom worked the counter. Jerry Male was the uncle of the Male kids on Lagoon and the brother of Gord Male. He later went on to manage businesses in Toronto and passed away about 5 years ago. Pat Male still lives on Lagoon I believe.

I drove by there the other day...I couldn't believe the transformation of the building (532)...looks great. Sad to see Dynes torn down.

JManCan

Aug 15, 2008
great to see a pic of my Dad's first store and the dates of its operation. I'll add that info to our family history.

John Ryan

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
http://hamiltonbeachcommunity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1154
I had a member asking me about that place a while back (I think it was waterlilly) and we never really found out who the owner was. It was sold to a business man who bought a few properties down here and had big plans. I talked to him one night in the Dynes and he had all sorts of plans for the place, but did ask what I thought the community would want there. I seen him around few times after that but didn't talk to him.

Top Bottom