Origin & History Of The Hamilton Beach Rescue Unit Inc.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
In 1939 our fore fathers started a volunteer A.R.P. (Air Raid Patrol) along the shores of Lake Ontario from the Hamilton Canal to Van Wagner's Beach.

In 1941, the A.R.P. was disbanded and the Burlington Beach Volunteer Fire Department was born. The Fire Marshall's Office in Toronto officially recognized this volunteer fire department in 1941. In those years, the beach strip was a separate community that was managed by a "Beach Commission". This group was comprised of a manager, secretary, and seven volunteer commissionaires who would oversee their own Police Department, Fire Department and Public Works Department. The Beach Commission reported and answered directly to the Ontario Provincial Politicians in Toronto. The beach strip was a close-knit community in those days and still is today.

In 1956, the City of Hamilton annexed the beach strip and we became part of City of Hamilton. The City Fire Department took over our volunteer fire department and the active volunteers still wanting to stay together decided to form the Hamilton Beach Rescue Unit. They were all trained in first-aid and water rescue and used two twelve foot dinghies to rescue swimmers in the summer and ice-banks in the winter.

In May of 1957, the Beach Rescue Unit was founded and started with one borrowed and one rented boat and motor. They patrolled every Saturday, Sunday and Monday holidays from May until September, but were on call to
24 hours a day, 365 days a year. As the years past, they were able to purchase bigger and better boats capable of handling the storms and rough waters of Lake Ontario.

Those dedicated Volunteers ran a small carnival, sold tickets, ran ham and turkey raffles and raised the money to cover the expenses of the unit. Sometimes the members had to dig into their own pockets and donate money to cover the outstanding bills.

Somehow we survived those lean days and in 1965, we approached the City
and asked for some financial assistance to help cover our operating expenses. The City agreed but the unit was still responsible for raised their own capital funds for purchasing new boats, equipment and a vehicle to tow the boats to the launch area. Only with a lot of hard work and dedication by these volunteers, have we been able to build and progress the unit to meet today's standards and community's requirements.

Over the past 45 years, we have saved many lives and have assisted hundreds of boaters in trouble on the lake and in Hamilton Bay.

In order to expand our training and to better serve the boating community and other water recreational public we joined forces with the Canadian Coast Guard Auxiliary. For over 15 years, our volunteers have worked in co-operation with the Canadian Coast Guard to receive training in such courses as CPR, first aid, hypothermia, boating, boat inspections, search and rescue tactics, V.H.F., radar, towing., and G.P.S. operation

Although we receive an operating grant and some capital monies, we still have to raise additional funds to meet the capital project needs of the organization. The City of Hamilton and the Ontario Trillium Foundation have both donated funds toward some of our recent major capital projects. We are very grateful for their support, which has enabled us to purchase a new boat and towing vehicle and commence renovations of our training hall.

The members of the Hamilton Beach Rescue Unit Inc. are a group of well-trained, dedicated volunteers who risk their lives ON a regular basis to save the lives of fellow citizens using our community waters in the Hamilton area.

William Dean , June 9,2003

new fire truck being delivered October 1949, the first call for the new truck was shortly after delivery. A chimney fire at 735 Beach Blvd, the home of I. McIntosh.

The above photo was from an October 4, 1949 Spec story;
Secure new truck, After struggling along with vehicles of ancient vintage, the volunteer fire department of Hamilton Beach now has a modern truck. The arrival of the truck was celebrated with a demonstration by the fire department. Pictured above with the new truck are the following members of the Hamilton Beach Commission, W. Francis, W. Leeming, G. Robbins, F. Jento and N. Hughes.

img051.jpg

From the Spectator, August 29th, 1953
Aug29,1953.jpg

Last edited:

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip

A Spec photo from May 29th, 1942. This picture must of been taken a short time after the above shot as everyone is in the same position but are now looking at the camera. The names are listed but might be a bit difficult to see.
May29,1942.jpg

Crawfish

Dec 1, 2004
Longueuil, Quebec
A super set of photos. I actually recognize some of the faces but, unfortunately, their names escape me except for the first name of one--Noel ......( the little guy with the bald head at the far right in the fourth picture). He was the butcher (butcher shop next to the old Texaco station) who was locked in his cooler during a robbery. The man next to him I also recognize and the name Jento comes to mind but I might be wrong on that one. He is in several of the pictures and I think he must have been on the Beach Commission.

Crawfish

Dec 1, 2004
Longueuil, Quebec
It finally came to me. It was Noel Hughes who was the butcher next to the Texaco station. He was robbed, hit on the head with a revolver and knocked unconcious and then locked in his meat locker. I don't remember how long he was in the cooler but I don't think he suffered any long-term effects.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
A super set of photos. I actually recognize some of the faces but, unfortunately, their names escape me except for the first name of one--Noel ......( the little guy with the bald head at the far right in the fourth picture). He was the butcher (butcher shop next to the old Texaco station) who was locked in his cooler during a robbery. The man next to him I also recognize and the name Jento comes to mind but I might be wrong on that one. He is in several of the pictures and I think he must have been on the Beach Commission.

That would be this one?

We have a resident in one of the older homes that I believe he took over from relatives, his name is Joel Hughes, when time permit I will have to ask him.

Sharla1

Oct 15, 2009
They sure have bigger hoses and pressure then that now. Do you know the approx. year the pic second from bottom was taken Scotto?

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
They sure have bigger hoses and pressure then that now. Do you know the approx. year the pic second from bottom was taken Scotto?
In the second last picture, the house in the background may well still be around, looks very familiar.
One picture shows (first one in this group) a new water pump, pumps were used to increase volume and pressure.
And I would have to guess that picture was taken in the late 1940's, but Ross would likely know better.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
ORIGIN & HISTORY OF THE HAMILTON BEACH RESCUE UNIT INC.(Updated)

In 1939 our fore fathers started a volunteer A.R.P. (Air Raid Patrol) along the shores of Lake Ontario from the Hamilton Canal to Van Wagners Beach.

In 1941, the A.R.P. was disbanded and the Burlington Beach Volunteer Fire Department was born. The Fire Marshall’s Office in Toronto officially recognized this volunteer fire department in 1941. In those years the beach strip was a separate community that was managed by the “Beach Commission”. This group was comprised of a manager, secretary, and seven volunteer commissionaires who would oversee their own Police Department, Fire Department, and Public Works Department. The Beach Commission reported and answered directly to the Ontario Provincial Politicians in Toronto. The beach strip was a closely-knit community in those days and still is today.

In 1956, the City of Hamilton annexed the beach strip and we became part of the City of Hamilton. The City Fire Department took over our volunteer fire department and the active volunteers still wanting to stay together decided to form the Hamilton Beach Rescue Unit. They were all trained in first aid, water rescue, and used two twelve foot dinghy’s to rescue swimmers in the summer and ice bank rescues in the winter.

In May of 1957, the Hamilton Beach Rescue Unit was founded and started with one borrowed and one rented boat and motor. They patrolled every Saturday, Sunday and Monday holidays from May until September, but were on call to answer any emergency 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. As the years past, they were able to purchase bigger and better boats capable of handling the storms and rough waters of Lake Ontario.

Those dedicated Volunteers ran a small carnival, sold tickets, ran ham and turkey raffles and raised money to cover the expenses of the unit. Sometimes the members had to dig into their own pockets and donate money to cover the outstanding bills.

Somehow we survived those lean days and in 1965, we approached the City of Hamilton and asked for some financial assistance to help cover our operating expenses. The City agreed but the unit was still responsible for raising their own capital funds for purchasing new boats, equipment, and a vehicle to tow the boats to the launch area. Only with a lot of hard work and dedication by these volunteers, have we been able to build and progress the unit to meet today’s standards and community’s requirements.
Over the past 50 years we have saved many lives and have assisted hundreds of boaters in trouble on the Lake and in Hamilton Bay.

In order to expand out training, better serve the boating community and other water recreational public, we joined forces with the Canadian Coast Guard Auxiliary. For over 15 years our volunteers have worked in co-operation with the Canadian Coast Guard to receive training in such courses as C.P.R, First Aid, Hypothermia, Boating, Boat Inspections, Search and Rescue Tactics, V.H.F Radio, Radar, Towing, and G.P.S. operation.

Although we receive an operating grant and some capital monies, we still have to raise additional funds to meet the capital project needs of the organization. The City of Hamilton and the Ontario Trillium Foundation have both donated funds toward some of our recent major capital projects. We are very grateful for their support, which has enabled us to purchase a new boat, towing vehicle, and commence renovations of our training hall.

In 2004 with great assistance from The City of Hamilton and the Ontario Trillium Foundation we were able to purchased a new 22 foot Limestone to help us keep up to date with the current rescue needs and assist in keeping our volunteers safe while performing rescues.

Early in 2008 we were able to complete our new boat storage facility including computer and radio contact with the Coastguard and Hamilton Marine Police. We replaced our 1950’s dinghy trailer with a new trailer constructed with 2008 standards along with two 9.9 Honda outboard motors. We replaced a aged, leaking Zodiac with a new 18’ Zodiac to assist with training and rescues on the Lake, in the Bay and surrounding waters of Hamilton.

In September of 2008 we celebrated our 50th Anniversary of The Hamilton Beach Rescue Unit with an open house where we showcased all of our equipment to the community, local Politicians, and other Rescue Units in our area.

Late in 2009 a surplus ambulance was acquired from EMS, and is now known as rescue 2 which is a support and tow vehicle to assist police, fire and EMS when required. The support vehicle is equipped with the following equipment, first aid kits, blankets, survival suits, floater coats, backboards, stokes stretcher, ropes, throw bags, life rings and other items that will assist us with search and rescue.

In May of 2012 through our fund raising efforts, we received our new state of the art 25’ Stanley Rescue Vessel. The Stanley is outfitted with twin 150 outboard motors, as well as all of the latest electronic equipment to assist the Boating Public in the Hamilton Wentworth Region as well as maintaining the safety of all our members aboard.

The members of The Hamilton Beach Rescue Unit Inc. are a group of well-trained, dedicated volunteers who risk their lives on a regular basis to save lives of fellow citizens using our community waters in the Hamilton Area.

William Dean
Mark Dean

January 8, 2013

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
This document was passed on to me showing the incorporation of the Beach Fire Dept., dated November 2nd, 1955. Three years later the department was disbanded when the City of Hamilton took over the Beach.

Attachments

Top Bottom