Pics I Scanned

Sharla1

Oct 15, 2009
The Hamilton Tigers were a Canadian football team based in Hamilton, Ontario that played in the Ontario Rugby Football Union from 1883 to 1906 and 1948 to 1949 and in the Interprovincial Rugby Football Union from 1907 to 1947. The club was a founding member of both the ORFU in 1883 and the IRFU in 1907. Throughout their history, the Tigers won five Grey Cup Championships as well as winning the Dominion Championship in 1908, the year before the Grey Cup was awarded. After struggling to compete on a sound financial level with the Hamilton Wildcats, who had joined the ORFU in 1941 and later the IRFU, the two clubs merged in 1950 to form the Hamilton Tiger-Cats

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
The Hamilton Tigers were a Canadian football team based in Hamilton, Ontario that played in the Ontario Rugby Football Union from 1883 to 1906 and 1948 to 1949 and in the Interprovincial Rugby Football Union from 1907 to 1947. The club was a founding member of both the ORFU in 1883 and the IRFU in 1907. Throughout their history, the Tigers won five Grey Cup Championships as well as winning the Dominion Championship in 1908, the year before the Grey Cup was awarded. After struggling to compete on a sound financial level with the Hamilton Wildcats, who had joined the ORFU in 1941 and later the IRFU, the two clubs merged in 1950 to form the Hamilton Tiger-Cats
I believe our past Alderman and Beach resident (Reg. Wheeler) played for them.

jaclac

Mar 25, 2016
Burlington
I remember the name Reg Wheeler. I have a picture of my g-father when he was playing for the Tigers, (not in uniform though), and on the back, he wrote, "Go Tigers!". My G-father lived on the Beach Strip too. Sometimes with us, sometimes with my G-mother in the little cottage that used to be beside our house. Mom and Dad owned it too, thus the g-parents living there. After several yrs., my parents tore it down.....hmmm, I wonder why LOL

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
I remember the name Reg Wheeler. I have a picture of my g-father when he was playing for the Tigers, (not in uniform though), and on the back, he wrote, "Go Tigers!". My G-father lived on the Beach Strip too. Sometimes with us, sometimes with my G-mother in the little cottage that used to be beside our house. Mom and Dad owned it too, thus the g-parents living there. After several yrs., my parents tore it down.....hmmm, I wonder why LOL
Add the picture if you have time and Reg Wheeler's house would of only been about a block away from your old one.

jaclac

Mar 25, 2016
Burlington
I would love to add the picture, however, my scanner isn't working right now. When I get another one I will. Right now though, we are saving for our vacation in July. All extra monies go there. Reg Wheeler, I do remember him. I haven't heard his name in yrs. How old would he be now?

jaclac

Mar 25, 2016
Burlington
I didn't know. I'm very sorry to hear of this. I guess the Wheeler name is mostly what I remember. I think it was probably one of his children I knew of. It seems my memory isn't so great these days :)

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
I have came by another book titled Hamilton, A Community in Symphony. It is in pretty rough shape but there a few Beach pictures in it.

This shows old Skyway Bridge being redone and strip down to the steel, the concrete was remove and much of it placed near CCIW along the harbor. A few years ago the same concrete slabs were removed from the harbour.
Also you can see the only time that the new Skyway had two lanes of traffic going in opposite directions, today is only southbound.

Another shows CCIW (Canada Centre for Inland Waterways) their research vessel, Limnos. Back then painted white, it has had the red coast guard colours for many years now. Last time I seen it was due for a paint job.
Also notice that the new Skyway is not completed yet, so this picture is at least a year older than the above one.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
It has been a few years since we updated this thread, found these in a book about Frank Wright that I picked up on eBay titled "Witness". Frank was a Burlington photographer.
Wright.jpg
Wright2.jpg

WrightB.jpg

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
One addition from the book Hamilton Skyline 1971, still trying to figure out which CSL vessel is transiting the canal. Also, the Wildmouse ride is just visible at the north end of the amusement park.
Canal1971a.jpg

Top Bottom