scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Posted with permission from the Hamilton Spectator

Local politicians say cities can't take on the cost

By Matthew Van Dongen

The federal government wants to off-load the half-century-old Burlington Canal Lift Bridge onto the cities of Hamilton and Burlington.

But outraged local politicians say cash-strapped cities can't afford to take on responsibility for more aging infrastructure — especially a bridge that controls commercial ship traffic and acts as a critical emergency detour for the QEW.

"It's a real jaw-dropper," said Councillor Chad Collins, who has been pushing the federal government to add a safe, multi-use pathway to the bridge that connects the Hamilton and Burlington sections of the beach strip.

"There is no financial reason — and no capability — for us to take on something like that," he said, pointing to the city's estimated $200-million infrastructure deficit.

His cross-bridge colleague in Burlington, Rick Craven, was even more blunt in his dismissal of the idea.

"For them to abandon their responsibilities and dump on the municipalities, that is not acceptable … they are not going to get away with it," said the Ward 1 councillor.

Craven called the bridge an "absolutely critical piece of infrastructure" because of its twin service to 10,000 vehicles and 6,500 vessels each year.

The bridge serves local motorists and the HSR, but also acts as an emergency route for the QEW when the skyway bridge is blocked. The lift bridge also rises and falls about 4,000 times a year to allow vessels into Hamilton Harbour.

Council received a letter Wednesday from Diane Finley, the minister of public works and government services, responding to the request for a safe trail across the bridge. Finley wrote the ministry has been "directed to divest of the bridge" and, therefore, can't spend money on non-essential improvements.

"In my view, the best and perhaps only way to improve the services the bridge provides is for a local stakeholder to assume ownership of the asset," she said.

The letter says the federal government would be "willing to negotiate a fair funds transfer" to cover costs associated with the bridge, but it doesn't specify a dollar figure.

A ministry spokesperson couldn't immediately give the replacement value of the bridge Wednesday afternoon or provide information on its state of repair.

But the federal government has spent at least $6 million since 2009 repainting the bridge and preparing to replace failing drives and controls for the lift mechanism. The latter work isn't expected to be completed until 2015. In between, the bridge has periodically closed for repairs.

Finley's letter says local officials will soon be asked to participate in "divestiture discussions."

The Spectator was unable to reach a Hamilton Port Authority spokesperson Wednesday to see if the agency has been involved in those discussions.

Local officials will discuss the letter at a March 3 meeting of the Greater Bay Area subcommittee.

mvandongen@thespec.com

905-526-3241 | @Mattatthespec

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
No bridge envy here

The Hamilton Spectator
By Matthew Van Dongen

Strike the province and port authority off the list of possible takers for an aging and increasingly unpopular Burlington Canal Lift Bridge.

A federal suggestion that local governments take over the bridge - and an estimated $2 million in annual operating costs - prompted political outrage in Burlington and Hamilton on Wednesday.

A letter from Diane Finley, the minister of public works and government services, called the proposition a potential "win-win" for municipalities seeking safer cycling and pedestrian amenities on the half-century-old bridge.

The federal department was unable to answer a list of questions about the proposal by the end of Thursday, but both the province and the Hamilton Port Authority ruled themselves out as interested owners.

Port authority president Bruce Wood called the bridge a "critical" doorway for the estimated $6-billion worth of commerce linked to the harbour, but added the agency hasn't sought or been formally offered ownership of the structure.

The federal government estimates the bridge lifts to allow access for about 6,500 vessels a year, including more than 1,000 commercial cargo carriers.

It also permits more than 10,000 vehicles to cross the canal each day - including traffic rerouted from the QEW when collisions or construction block the Burlington Skyway.

Spokesperson Astrid Poei said the provincial ministry of transportation has "a strong interest" in ensuring that alternate route remains open, but "we do not envision the province taking ownership of the bridge."

Beach strip Councillor Chad Collins said he's been told by federal officials it costs about $2 million annually to run the bridge, including salaries for 10 employees.

That doesn't include potential long-term capital repairs needed for the aging structure, although the federal government has spent more than $6 million upgrading the bridge in the past several years. The replacement of failing drives and controls will continue into next year.

Public Works and Government Services has a mandate stretching back 10 years to off-load dozens of its bridges and dams, including the lift bridge. City staff said Thursday a federal consultant approached them several months ago to ask questions about whether the bridge is still needed and how much traffic it sees.

"It's not a secret they'd like to get rid of that bridge, but I don't see why any other level of government or agency would want to go along with that," said Collins, who added having the opportunity to add a trail to the bridge is not worth millions in long-term liability.

Collins noted the city is already struggling with a $200-million infrastructure deficit - and the recent discovery that it owns an aging east-end rail bridge that must be replaced this year.

"I think another bridge is probably the last thing we want," he said.

mvandongen@thespec.com

905-526-3241 | @Mattatthespec

http://www.thespec.com/news-story/4378374-no-bridge-envy-here/

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Bridge an unfair burden on local taxpayers

Not exactly. It's a perfect example of how senior governments love to shovel their (insert applicable expletive here) on to the neighbour's lawn in order to make theirs look better. It might do that, but it puts a completely unfair burden on local taxpayers, while letting the federal government off the hook.

Bridges are expensive. This one is 50 years old and definitely high maintenance. Estimates are it would cost at least $2 million annually to operate the bridge, and that doesn't include future investment.

Is it important? Of course. The harbour generates millions in revenue and is a critical part of the area's business and transportation infrastructure. The lift bridge is a critical detour route. It carries 10,000 vehicles a year, and allows passage for 6,500 vessels.

But in what universe does this sort of infrastructure become the responsibility of Hamilton and Burlington taxpayers? It's true that there is only one taxpayer in the end. But the reality is that local taxpayers - already stretched, especially in Hamilton - are part of a much smaller and less flexible base compared to the federal government, which has a much larger base and thus more flexibility to absorb burdens like this one.

In addition, senior governments have at their disposal a host of revenue generating tools while municipal governments have few by comparison. It typically comes down to the local taxpayer, and that's just not right in this case.

Although this story is hitting home because a letter from Diane Finley, minister of public works and government services, was received by Hamilton city council, the effort to dump things like the bridge isn't new. For years the federal government has been trying to get out of this sort of business. And to be fair, it should be noted that the letter from Finley says the feds would be "willing to negotiate a fair funds transfer" to cover costs associated with the bridge. But how much? And would it be an annual commitment to cover all operating, maintenance and capital costs?

Even if the feds did transfer adequate funding to cover all the costs involved, who would manage the bridge and its operations? The port authority is one option that might make sense, although it has no responsibility for roads and highways. In any case, the authority says it hasn't been asked and isn't remotely interested. The provincial government? That makes as little sense since the port is federally regulated.

We all get that Ottawa needs to kill the deficit, reduce debt and make government smaller. But that doesn't justify off-loading services and costs to local governments that are more properly the purview of the national government. That's self-serving downloading, plain and simple.

Howard Elliott

The Hamilton Spectator

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Burlington lift bridge is ‘money pit’

Bridge an unfair burden on local taxpayers (Editorial, Feb. 21)
The Hamilton Spectator
Here we go again! The federal government has been attempting to divest itself of the lift bridge for probably 20 years. It has been on its "divestiture list" for as long as I remember. And I worked for public works and government services for 24 years and have been retired for a year and a half.

They have had some success in the past. The City of Welland was given the Old Welland Canal Parklands, with about $15 million for operation and maintenance. Kingston was given the causeway.

The problem with the lift bridge is that shipping has the right-of-way under maritime law, so there is no way to make money with the bridge. It is a money pit. During my tenure there, they replaced the lifting cables and have made other upgrades, but it is still a money pit.

Who in their right mind would take on a losing enterprise? Offering it to anyone else only shows the audacity of the Canadian government.

The lift bridge is a vital part of the Hamilton Harbour and to the citizens of Hamilton/Burlington, but let's leave it where it belongs - in the hands of the federal government.

Robert D. Spencer, former operator/mechanic, Burlington Canal Lift Bridge (retired)

missy2013

Aug 27, 2013
715 - Studio 3 - lakeside
... hmm ~ It may be a money pit, but it clearly a vital port access point that enables Hamilton to engage in millions of dollars worth of business. My bet is that even though the Port Authority hasn't expressed any interest, they are the most obvious potential owners, moreover then any municipality. But overall, this clearly ought to remain a federal responsibility. It is a harbour access point of national interest. ~ In simple terms, a small portion of the 100s of millions that are sent abroad in aid could be kept at home to maintain our own infrastructure. Seems like a no-brainer ...

Sharla1

Oct 15, 2009
Or I could see it if it was in an area that got closed off. But that bridge is extremely well travelled.

Nov 26, 2006
Brantford
That Bridge is an essential service, in no way should it even be considered to close, I use it at least 2x a week due to the qew being a disaster

Sharla1

Oct 15, 2009
That Bridge is an essential service, in no way should it even be considered to closeI use it at least 2x a week due to the qew being a disaster
Disaster is putting it mildly Porky. I haven't gone close to those highways in years. They are too crazy for me now a days. So you sure hit the nail on the head with that comment.

And when there is an accident on those high bridges. If they are able to, the lift bridge is where they all end up.

It was different when they closed off the old wooden bridge off York Rd. going down into the RBG ponds. You can still get to that location using Spring Garden Road.

I'm surprised they don't charge people for using the lift bridge. It doesn't have to be a large amount. I bet it would add up fast if it was only about 25 cents to use one way. And who is going to complain for that small amount. That amount wouldn't bother me.

It will be interesting to hear how this turns out.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
That Bridge is an essential service, in no way should it even be considered to closeI use it at least 2x a week due to the qew being a disaster
Every morning after 7am, QEW Toronto on the Skyway is bumper to bumper and that with no accidents or someone stuck on the side of the road. Then it gets real busy on the lift bridge.

Nov 26, 2006
Brantford
I would happily pay a $1 toll to use the bridge, it wouldn't cause too much congestion if done properly, if I am just going into Burlington I don't even go n the HWY, 2 weeks ago I used lakeshore all the way to etobocoke

Sharla1

Oct 15, 2009
I would happily pay a $1 toll to use the bridge, it wouldn't cause too much congestion if done properly, if I am just going into Burlington I don't even go n the HWY, 2 weeks ago I used lakeshore all the way to etobocoke
Providing the money goes towards any needed repairs for the bridge.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Sale of lift bridge, piers by Ottawa called ‘puzzling, concerning’

Tuesday April 28th, 2015
Hamilton Spectator
By Matthew Van Dongen

The federal government wants to sell the piers of the Burlington Canal - along with the lift bridge spanning the waterway - to nearby cities.

If no one bites, Transport Canada will offer the concrete piers linking Hamilton harbour and Lake Ontario to the local port authority or even the private sector.

Transport Canada announced Friday the Burlington Canal will be one of 50 port facilities across Canada available for sale this summer. If no one is buying, the government could simply give the piers to a willing taker - possibly with a funding grant attached.

The new program comes as local politicians chew on last year's unpopular federal offer to off-load the breakdown-prone lift bridge on Hamilton or Burlington. The nearby Beach Canal Lighthouse is also up for grabs - but so far, Fisheries and Oceans Canada has yet to hand it over to an interested community group despite a decade of negotiations.

Lighthouse aside, the government "seems determined to download federal responsibilities onto local taxpayers," said Coun. Chad Collins, whose ward includes Hamilton's side of the bridge.

"I don't get what the attraction would be to the private sector, in either case. These aren't developable assets."

The twin concrete piers of the canal extend 321 metres from the harbour to the lake and are popular - if not authorized - walking areas for residents on the waterfront trail.

Transport Canada couldn't elaborate Monday on exactly what portion of the piers or canal structure would be up for grabs - other than to specify the small shipping beacon at the end of one pier is not for sale.

Details such as age or needed repairs have yet to be released, but a crumbling federal pier in St. Catharines was recently closed over public safety concerns.

It also remains unclear how or if ownership transfer would affect ship traffic through the canal, a conduit for $6 billion in annual economic activity linked to Hamilton's port.

The Hamilton Port Authority once had plans for a marina development near the canal on the Lake Ontario side, but shelved the idea in 2005 as too expensive.

Spokesperson Larissa Fenn said it's too early to say if the agency is interested in taking over the piers, but added officials have been "in touch" over the lift bridge. "To date we have not arrived at an approach that serves the interests of all parties," she said.

Hamilton - which has an estimated $3 billion infrastructure backlog - doesn't have the resources to take on federal responsibilities, whether it's a walking pier or a "vital transportation link" such as the lift bridge, Collins said. The aging bridge has undergone $11 million in repairs over the past five years.

"The fact that they're threatening to download or privatize needed infrastructure like the bridge is, to me, puzzling and concerning," he said.

Coun. Rick Craven, who is responsible for the Burlington side of the bridge, hadn't heard about the effort to get rid of the piers. But he dismissed fears the government would shut down the bridge if no one takes it over.

"That bridge has to remain open and it has to remain safe, no matter what political posturing is going on," he said, pointing to its use as a relief valve during the days-long closure of the Toronto-bound Burlington Skyway due to an accident last summer.

That closure forced tens of thousands of extra cars off the highway and over the lift bridge. The province said last year it considers the bridge important, but isn't interested in taking over the structure.

The Beach Canal Lighthouse Group, meanwhile, has submitted a business case to the federal government in hopes of taking over the historic structure after a decade of negotiations.

mvandongen@thespec.com

905-526-3241 | [MENTION=650]matt[/MENTION]atthespec

Matthew Van Dongen is city hall reporter for the Hamilton Spectator. Reach him on Twitter [MENTION=650]matt[/MENTION]atthespec

http://www.thespec.com/news-story/5...-piers-by-ottawa-called-puzzling-concerning-/

marc

Apr 19, 2015
Feds to Hamilton: Take the Lift Bridge or We’re Selling It

Friday, April 24, 2015
By Joey Coleman
The Public Record

The Harper government has an ultimatum for the cities of Hamilton and Burlington: take the Burlington Canal Lift Bridge or it will be sold.

In a 5:31pm Friday news release, the Harper government announced a new program called the “Ports Asset Transfer Program” which will sell Transport Canada-owned port facilities to the private sector if provinces or municipalities don’t agree to take responsibility for facilities the federal government no longer wishes to maintain.

Hamilton-Burlington Lift Bridge on the Block

On the block is the Hamilton-Burlington Lift Bridge, officially called the Burlington Canal Lift Bridge.

Lisa Raitt’s, Minister of Transport, news release backgrounder states municipalities will have a 60-day period this summer to decide to purchase the Lift Bridge from the federal government.

If Hamilton and Burlington decide to not purchase the bridge (or the province for them), Transport Canada will offer the bridge for sale to the Hamilton Port Authority and the private sector.

Background

On Tuesday (April 21), Burlington and Hamilton Council’s joint Greater Bay Area Committee met. One of the agenda items was the Lift Bridge negotiations.

Hamilton City Manager Chris Murray said communication was ongoing with the Federal government, and that both City Managers were awaiting additional financial information from the federal government before providing recommendations to the respective City Councils.

Murray made no statement about potential privatization or a forthcoming ultimatum.

He did state that he expected to have more information from the Federal government shortly and that a report would be forthcoming to Council.

Expect this issue to quickly be added to the next City Council General Issues Committee meeting on May 6th.

https://www.thepublicrecord.ca/2015/04/24/feds-to-hamilton-take-the-lift-bridge-or-were-selling-it/

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
If the HPA takes it I'm sure there will be new fences, hopefully Hamilton/Burlington steps up to take it on.
I don't know if you have been at the Bridge site this year yet, but it is pretty well all fenced off due to the construction going on. So it would likely look like it does now except the new fence would be permanent.

Top Bottom