Looking For Info

Sharla1

Oct 15, 2009
Does anyone have any information about a house on the beach that was removed in 1955? I only have pics of the upper floor. The house was taken down in partitions and both floors of the house were sold seperately. The upper floor my family bought and was moved to a property on lake Erie. My family also added the sunporch after it was moved. Unfortunately I don't have more info then this. Enclosed is a pic of the upper floor.

cottage2 (600 x 375).jpg

Last edited:

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Does anyone have any information about a house on the beach that was removed in 1955? I only have pics of the upper floor. The house was taken down in partitions and both floors of the house were sold seperately. The upper floor my family bought and was moved to a property on lake Erie. My family also added the sunporch after it was moved. Unfortunately I don't have more info then this. Enclosed is a pic of the upper floor.
Hi Sharla; Thanks for joining! 1955 is before my time, but discussions from another thread had some time frame of around 1952-53 where many homes were demolished or moved for upcoming QEW/ Skyway project. This would include the Burlington side which at the time belong to Hamilton for a while.

So if it was dismantled and moved during this time, then most likely it was on the harbour side of the Beach. But I wouldn't remember it because I wasn't here. Maybe one of the older members might recall the house.

Sharla1

Oct 15, 2009
Thanks very much for the welcome. :)
And yes it was a bit before my time too.
I was trying to think why they wanted it removed during that time. I had forgotten about the skyway going in.

Sharla1

Oct 15, 2009
I just had another thought about possibly why it was removed. Possible damages to the building from hurricane hazel?

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
I just had another thought about possibly why it was removed. Possible damages to the building from hurricane hazel?
Possible, when I hear most of those stories, it seems that more of the damage to homes was down near the Van Wagners' end. One of the older members like Fred would know better.

Sharla1

Oct 15, 2009
Another question just came to mind.

When they removed a lot of the houses to put the Skyway in, did they shorten the streets too?

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Another question just came to mind.

When they removed a lot of the houses to put the Skyway in, did they shorten the streets too?
Many of the streets were shortened, some that joined the streets from the back were completely removed. I think one was Kenmore, Fred would know better.

Sharla1

Oct 15, 2009
Too bad no old maps around for that time period.

They sure have changed the beach area over the years. :)

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Anyone know how many houses were removed?
Now that would be a small feat, one of the older members might have a rough number, but over the years many homes were removed and added for various reasons. Homes were lost to the weather or fire, those would not count. Some were moved from Van Wagner's to the Beach, then many removed for the Skyway construction and some were just moved out of the way. Then the City thought it would be a great idea to make the whole strip a park and started to buy every house that came avaliable (for next to nothing) and demolished them. So if we went by an old survey or map, it would be hard to run timelines on which house was removed and when.

Sharla1

Oct 15, 2009
I remember when the city bought them and tore down the buildings. That was more into 70s wasn't it?

Sharla1

Oct 15, 2009
I was looking at one of the older maps you posted. It looks like more buildings were removed then I had thought.

David O'Reilly

Dec 15, 2012
Sharla

“Does anyone have any information about a house on the beach that was removed in 1955? I only have pics of the upper floor. The house was taken down in partitions and both floors of the house were sold seperately. The upper floor my family bought and was moved to a property on lake Erie.”

Sharla, have you considered going through old news paper articles from 1955? And Perhaps the old news papers would have the number of houses that were torn down for the construction of the skyway.

Top Bottom