A timely find

Drogo

Feb 8, 2005
Well today they are digging up relics at the North end of the Beach but on May 17, 1877 George Lottridge was doing the same on the South end of the Beach. Behind Fitch's Hotel he made a find with what appears to be more valuable articles than today.

My friend, Scott Forsythe of Winnipeg, sent me this article today. He is going through the Spectator and will send more if he finds an update on this.

I hope George didn't live the remainder of his life with a curse on his head!

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Great find Peggy! Many thanks to Scott:rock:

From looking at some old my old maps, I assume the Fitch Hotel was near where Community Centre is now located on Van Wagners'?

Drogo

Feb 8, 2005
I would say yay or nay but I don't know where the Community Centre is. It's just a hair north of the old Beach Rd. By Community Centre do you mean that thing at Lakeland that looks like a Lighthouse?

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
I would say yay or nay but I don't know where the Community Centre is. It's just a hair north of the old Beach Rd. By Community Centre do you mean that thing at Lakeland that looks like a Lighthouse?
That is where the old Beach Road was near and yes, I should of just called it Lakeland.

Drogo

Feb 8, 2005
OK that makes sense. I do believe that is where the old filtering basins were. That is where my first thought took me as well. I took all the old maps you sent me, printed them and taped them together. It's rolled up and just over my computer for quick reference. I love them. They are going to work so well with the Lighthouse Diaries. I did put them together as a file and I think it's like 43 megs. I cropped them to a picture.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Beach Matter

Another Beach article sent in by Scott Forsythe of Winnipeg:rock:

Beach Matter​
To the Editor of the Spectator
Sir,--- In respect to the articles in the Spectator and last nights times , I beg to state I did , when getting a patent from the Ontario Government of the Ocean House grounds, get a patent for a narrow strip opposite the same between the driving road and the waters of Burlington Bay, now claimed by the city of Hamilton under lease from the Dominion Government. My object in getting the same was to put a stop to naked bathing. It seems that there are parties who have yet to learn that Burlington Beach has become civilised, and has regard for the decencies of life since I built the Ocean House, but such is the fact. I have seen men running foot races and playing leap frog along the bay shore not fifty feet from the driving road (naked)
The amount of ground left after widening the street and laying a 12 foot promenade walk, only leaving a strip of 12 to 20 feet, I am well pleased for the city to take it in hand and have some person authorized to look after the same, thereby relieving the Ocean House parties of trouble.
yours, etc.,​
N. F. Birkly.​
Hamilton, May 18th, 1878

Top Bottom