Carryplace Bridge

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Seen this old Swing Bridge near Trenton Ontario and the operator(Brin, nice guy) told me that it was taken out of service in Hamilton, removed then set back up in a town called Carryplace. This bridge was built by Hill Street Contruction Company in 1935 and was sent to it's present day location in the mid 50's to service the Trent Waterway System.
I can't see where else this bridge could of been except on the Beach, but it dosen't seem to match any of the pictures I have seen of the old ones from the canal. Maybe one of the older members might have some idea.

Attachments

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Member Janice Demers has sent these comments on our lost bridge;

"I'm not sure, but I think this could be the bridge which brought traffic to Van Wagner's Beach from the Q.E.W. I think it was called the Black Bridge. I remember a bad accident about fifty years ago. The train tracks ran through that area and hit a car as it was just coming of the a bridge there."

Just to show what bridge Janice is referring to, I borrowed a picture from Fred Briggs' site. It would be across from where Hutch's now stands. http://home.cogeco.ca/~fredbriggs/

Attachments

Dec 1, 2004
Longueuil, Quebec
I don't think Black Bridge was ever a swinger. There was no reason to have the bridge move because there was no water traffic past it.
I suspect that the Carryplace bridge comes from somewhere other than Hamilton except for the manufacture of course.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Crawfish said:
I don't think Black Bridge was ever a swinger. There was no reason to have the bridge move because there was no water traffic past it.
I suspect that the Carryplace bridge comes from somewhere other than Hamilton except for the manufacture of course.
And for the year it was built (1935), it's not long enough to stretch across the canal or even half of the canal. Except for the Beach, I can't think of anywhere else in Hamilton that would need a swing bridge. So, Crawfish you are most likely correct.

jayc

May 15, 2009
Hi all,Black bridge was never a swinger,I used to fish off it.I still remember the walk way on one side,and the round steel hand rail. I had many a raft in that creek, jayc

Top Bottom