scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Old beach school has long history

by Stephen J. Beecroft
The Stoney Creek News, Wednesday, November 17, 1982

In the days before Hamilton was busily gobbling up land, the area which we now know as Beach Boulevard was considered to be part of Saltfleet Township. Later, during the 19th century, it came under the jurisdiction of Burlington Beach Commissioners, a rather unusual organization - "the only one in Ontario that I know of," says John W. Pell, the retired school inspector who is the area's foremost historian of the Wentworth schools.
The children who lived in the beach area went to school in Hamilton. For this privilege they paid $1 per child per month.
"When the Hamilton Board of Education announced it would increase this rate to $3, there was a lot of complaining," notes Mr. Pell. But the complaints came to naught, and, effective January 1916, the new rate came into force.
BEACH SCHOOL
That was when it was decided to build a school. The Burlington Beach Commissioners (Colonel J. J. Grafton and Wellington J. Morden) put a lot of thought into this project. It was the Commission's secretary, Miss M.H. Carroll, who suggested a bungalow-type of building.
It was quickly constructed and named Beach School, although, Mr. Pell points out, the name was soon changed to Beach Bungalow School. The first principal - teacher was Miss Charlotte Howlett, who later became Mrs. Dean, the mother of Wentworth MPP Gordon Dean.
"Later on in her career," says Mr. Pell, "Mrs. Dean became a teacher at the old Fruitland School."
When Beach Bungalow School first opened it had an enrollment of nearly 50 students. The population of the area grew, and so did the school, various additions being built over the years.
Talking about the official opening of a large extension Sept. 3, 1937, Mr. Paul notes that "a crowd assembled to witness the formal opening by Dr. Duncan McArthur, Deputy-Minister of Education for Ontario." Various local dignitaries also delivered short addresses before the deputy-minister officially unlocked the doors.
By then principal W. J. Johnson had a staff of five teachers working with him. That year the school was able to offer a Grade 9 course for the first time and 22 students enrolled. At that time the total enrollment was 257.
BASEBALL CHAMPIONS
In 1938 Beach Bungalow joined with Stoney Creek, Fruitland and Winona Schools in forming a softball league. Joe Rogers, a former student now living in Beamsville, recalls "the Beach team was champion for some time".
In September 1939, a Grade 10 course was offered and 18 students enrolled. Because of the overcrowding at that time, several primary-class students were housed in the Masonic Hall next door. They continued to use the hall until the 1970s when it was purchased to allow for school expansion.
By 1950 there were 390 students and accommodation was found by renting premises elsewhere. However, on a cold morning in December that year, disaster struck. A fire - cause unknown - gutted the old bungalow part of the school.
When the new structure began to rise it was decided that the new school should have a new name. Opened Sept. 26,1951, the crowning touch was the old school bell, mounted on a stone cairr in front of the building. This, of course, inspired the new name - Bell Cairn School.
One former student told the News that the corner stone, which was laid in June that year contained a copper cylinder in which were placed the names of all the students, a penny from each child, current copies of the Spectator and the Stoney Creek News and other items of interest.
"It was a happy school," commented A.E. (Bud) Windsor, who was a teacher there in the late 1950s. "I have happy memories of it." Mr. Windsor is now principal of Pauline Johnson School on Hummingbird Lane in Hamilton.
ENROLLMENT FELL
But enrollments were falling drastically. The last principal of Bell Cairn, Mr. R. Carle (now of Seneca School, Abbington Drive, Hamilton) told the News that "the school had room for 700 students but when I was there the enrollment was only 110."
Bell Cairn finally closed its doors in June last year. It now lives on as a memory; the building a mere hollow shell which no longer echoes with the noise of several hundred children.
"I guess I give way to a spot of nostalgia sometimes," said Mr. Carle, who has a painting of the old Beach Bungalow hanging in his office at Seneca School.

Kellins

Feb 22, 2005
Thanks for the history lesson, I have some fond memories of that school. Especially my grade 8 teacher - Mrs Ireland (Hawkeye) Anyone know what ever happened to her?

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip

Kellins

Feb 22, 2005
There she is! First row - plaid skirt She looked just the same when I graduated in 63. Greatest teacher I ever had. (didn't think it then of course) She didn't let any of us away with anything. She got the nickname "Hawkeye" because she could see what we were doing with her back turned to us.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Kellins said:
There she is! First row - plaid skirt She looked just the same when I graduated in 63. Greatest teacher I ever had. (didn't think it then of course) She didn't let any of us away with anything. She got the nickname "Hawkeye" because she could see what we were doing with her back turned to us.
Well there is one name to add, I also know who the Principal is, as for the rest?? If anyone else can contribute, please join in. :rolleyes:
Also added today in the Gallery was the "Last Day" picture, showing all the staff and students on June 22, 1981. Thanks to member Len Simmons for sending in this picture and year end news letter. :tbu: Please have a look.

Bell Cairn Gallery

church mouse

Mar 25, 2005
HI Scott:

In the Teachers picture, in the front row, second on the left beside Mrs Ireland is Mrs. Eagleson. Second from the right in the first row is Mary Willard.

Hope that helps.
Craftyldy

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
church mouse said:
HI Scott:

In the Teachers picture, in the front row, second on the left beside Mrs Ireland is Mrs. Eagleson. Second from the right in the first row is Mary Willard.

Hope that helps.
Craftyldy
CM;
Thanks, I will add them.

Kellins

Feb 22, 2005
Lets see if this rattles any chains cause I'm not possitive - directly behind Mrs Ireland - Miss (Mrs) Geddes Second to her left - dark hair - Miss McCreedy? Like I said I'm not sure. Please correct me if someone remembers these two and the faces don't match.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
bobbythefinch said:
Mrs Ireland passed away a few years ago. My Mum used to clean her house - and I loved that house when I was a kid (still do...haha). I remember I got lost in...hehe
Just to show everyone the Ireland house, check the attached thread-
http://hamiltonbeachcommunity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=339

Back to the last days of Bell Cairn as a school for the Beach, member Jeannettee :tbu: has sent in this article from the Spectator.

Midnight

Jun 15, 2005
Westbank BC
Hawkeye

I was in Mrs Ireland's clas in 66-67,,, She had mirror , in the top right corner of the board... You never knew when you would get singled out or from where ..She hardly missed anything.. Henceforth... Hawkeye...

Kellins

Feb 22, 2005
She was known as Hawkeye long before that - she used clean shiney blackboards to see our reflections and she had a great shot with chalk when she wanted someone's attention. But she was the best.

Top Bottom