2008 Around the Bay Road Race

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
It's that time of year again;
the Around the Bay 30K Road Race is scheduled for Sunday March 30, 2008.

The race will have over eight thousand runners running a long the Beach Strip and over the Lift Bridge and is the oldest race in North America and now has grown to be one of the largest historical races in Canada.

If you have to use Beach Blvd on this day, please be advised that will be some delays.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
The walkers are earlier, but I 30K runners start at 9:30am and it doesn't take them long to get to the Beach Strip. I would say sometime after 10. It does take the rest of the field some time to make it through, then the clean up.
So I would say a least a couple of hours of limited access to Beach Blvd.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
That was the biggest field of runners I have ever seen at one of these races.
The first set were at mid-beach just after 10am and it look like they were all from Kenya. I assume one of them won as it was a while before more runners went by.
One note to add, Tin Pan Alley had an empty chair setup in memory of Doris Ronalds who past away last year and was an avid pan banger at all the races.
She (Doris) and her two sisters, Fran Goudey and Jackie Chrystian originated the "pots and pans" event many years ago. Until it gained popularity, they were the only ones out.
(Thanks to Linda E. for the info)
For those with Internet Explorer 6, place cursor over the openned picture and then click on the expand icon to see the full picture.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
I went out for a bit and cheered them on with my coffee and some extra medical supplies. The medics don't give out tensor bandages when needed, I always have extra from my accident.
I did see a couple of EMS vehicles travel by going quite fast during the race, you didn't see any mishaps down your way I hope??

Top Bottom