218 Beach Boulevard

Dec 1, 2004
Longueuil, Quebec
I guess the reason this is posted is that the demolition permit requires a new building be erected within 2 years of the demolition and if not, that the city be paid $20,000?
When was it actually demolished? I guess Scotto's photo must identify that date.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
I guess the reason this is posted is that the demolition permit requires a new building be erected within 2 years of the demolition and if not, that the city be paid $20,000?
When was it actually demolished? I guess Scotto's photo must identify that date.
I actually posted the demolition back in April 2011, the machine is still on the property but the structure is gone.
http://hamiltonbeachcommunity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1842

As I a have seen in a few of the City reports, the owner can apply for an extension to the deadline if you have a good reason. I believe the deadline was put in place to discourage new lot owners from just sitting on a property for many years and then flipping it for a tidy profit and doing nothing for it.
I can only assume that the City was more than happy just to see that building gone, hence some leeway on the deadline.

Dec 1, 2004
Longueuil, Quebec
That is curious because if you look at Google Street View, the machine is gone and so is the structure. The date of the street view shot is, apparently, May 2012. Anyway, I agree that the Beach is better off without that mess and I imagine the neighbours are happy too.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
That is curious because if you look at Google Street View, the machine is gone and so is the structure. The date of the street view shot is, apparently, May 2012. Anyway, I agree that the Beach is better off without that mess and I imagine the neighbours are happy too.
Sorry I didn't explain that very well, I took the pictures back in April 2011 and posted them on the attached thread. In the one picture (which are copies in this thread) the building has been removed but the machine is still there, it was removed the next day back in 2011.
And yes it was one of the few remaining buildings down here that needed to be bulldozed, since then the old Chinese restaurant has been removed as well as 975 Beach Blvd, all sore spots on the Beach.

Sharla1

Oct 15, 2009
It's a shame though that they weren't kept up. I always loved the syles of the old buildings on the beach strip.

Top Bottom