Access to the beach trail

Sebastian

May 1, 2014
Beach Strip
Hi there,

We are building a new house on the bay side close to the convenience store.
There always seemed to be passage by the convenience store to the beach trail, which seemed pretty handy as there is no another access nearby.
I thought initially that it is a public access to the trail (it shows like that on the google maps)
However this passage is closed now, and it seems like this is actually only a private lane.

One of our neighbors was mentioning that he actually has right of way in his deed, to that passage, but I am not sure how accurate that is.
Does anybody has similar experience? Do people actually have those rights of ways?
I am pretty new here, so I figured I'll ask - maybe someone would share some interesting piece of information.

Thanks,
Sebastian

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Hi there,

We are building a new house on the bay side close to the convenience store.
There always seemed to be passage by the convenience store to the beach trail, which seemed pretty handy as there is no another access nearby.
I thought initially that it is a public access to the trail (it shows like that on the google maps)
However this passage is closed now, and it seems like this is actually only a private lane.

One of our neighbors was mentioning that he actually has right of way in his deed, to that passage, but I am not sure how accurate that is.
Does anybody has similar experience? Do people actually have those rights of ways?
I am pretty new here, so I figured I'll ask - maybe someone would share some interesting piece of information.

Thanks,
Sebastian
There are some "right of ways" on the Beach but as far as I know that lane isn't one. It has been the part of the property for the store and house behind it ever since the store was there, however the store has used it as a source of customers from the trail ever since the trail was opened (with many complaints from the resident next door). The store will be moving very soon to the new building beside the old shutter business and Apple Roses and I don't know what will be done with the old store property. In short, it is private property and the new tenants will likely perfer not have just anyone accessing their laneway.
Thanks for letting me know as I didn't know it was closed.

Crawfish

Dec 1, 2004
Longueuil, Quebec
I don't know whether "acquired rights" apply here but that path has been used as public access since I was able to walk by myself (circa 1940) and probably long before. There used to be a cottage at the end of the path next to the tracks but I suppose that has long disappeared. There was never a fence at the end next to the tracks nor at the street end.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
I don't know whether "acquired rights" apply here but that path has been used as public access since I was able to walk by myself (circa 1940) and probably long before. There used to be a cottage at the end of the path next to the tracks but I suppose that has long disappeared. There was never a fence at the end next to the tracks nor at the street end.
Yes there was always access to the beach area before the Trail was put in. Once the Trail was built a fence was added which had a gate but was always open and customers could travel off the Trail and use the store or just get to the Blvd. The property and store owners from my earlier years were the Shewfelts and lived in the house in the rear (which is still there.), if that is what you mean about a cottage. There used to be cottages on the south side but were all demolished.

Top Bottom