Baranga's?

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Squirt; I have moved this over to the History section, yes Baranga's was a school many years ago and many from the Beach attended there, when it started to get a bit too crowded (and the cost to attend went up) the Beach built their own school.
There is one thread in the "News" section with write up from the Spec that did a good job at the history;

"They built Van Wagner's Beach School 103 years ago"
http://hamiltonbeachcommunity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1242

And a year book in the History section that was sent in one of our members;
http://hamiltonbeachcommunity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1388

There is also a very good book written by some ex-students titled, "Memories Of Van Wagner's Beach and Parkview Survey"
There is one at the Glow Barber Shop, I always re-read every time I'm there.

Dec 1, 2004
Longueuil, Quebec
I just noticed that the Spec article claimed that the Beach school was Bell Cairn but the school I went to was Beach Bungalow. The name was changed after the fire burned the old frame building and the 'bell' no longer had a home.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
I just noticed that the Spec article claimed that the Beach school was Bell Cairn but the school I went to was Beach Bungalow. The name was changed after the fire burned the old frame building and the 'bell' no longer had a home.
Wilson somewhat leaves it open ended, there was the school to the north, but no real timeline. Was Bell Cairn ever open the same time as VanWagners?
Was the Black Bridge a wooden span?

Mormac

May 1, 2006
I went to that school in the late 50s and early 60s and it was Bell Cairn Memorial. The bell was in front of the school. About 62 the grade eight kids from Van Wagners came to Bell Cairn because their school closed. There were 6 or 7 kids.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
I went to that school in the late 50s and early 60s and it was Bell Cairn Memorial. The bell was in front of the school. About 62 the grade eight kids from Van Wagners came to Bell Cairn because their school closed. There were 6 or 7 kids.
But at one point it was Beach Bungalow and VanWagners?

Mormac

May 1, 2006
Beach Bungalow wasn't there when I started Bell Cairn. There was a small building called the Masonic Hall beside the school. It was used as a classroom. I don't know if it was part of the old Beach Bungalow but it was still there when I graduated in 62. I knew of Van Wagners school in the later grades but there was no connection untill the grade 8 kids came to our school. Van Wagners Beach was a separate community altogether and you just didn't cross boundaries. The closest we got was to the old Hutches.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Beach Bungalow wasn't there when I started Bell Cairn. There was a small building called the Masonic Hall beside the school. It was used as a classroom. I don't know if it was part of the old Beach Bungalow but it was still there when I graduated in 62. I knew of Van Wagners school in the later grades but there was no connection untill the grade 8 kids came to our school. Van Wagners Beach was a separate community altogether and you just didn't cross boundaries. The closest we got was to the old Hutches.
The Masonic Hall was used for the kindergarten classes, but the Bungalow was a different building. I remember the Hall, but the Bungalow was long gone before my time.

RHammond

Oct 11, 2004
Scott,
Beach Bugalow school was built approx 1916 and damaged by fire in 1950.The new school was built in 1950 as Bell Cairn. There is a photo dated 1951 from Gary Evans' Prints along the beach that shows the new building and the remains of Beach Bungalow beside it. It looks like the new building ended around where the Principals Office was.The section where the old school was standing had been replaced by the time I started in 1967 and before the new wing was added in the early'70s. So I guess that Bell Cairn and the old Van Wagners school were open together for 10-12 years

laxsupr

Nov 2, 2007
Hamilton east end
Both schools operated at the same time when I belonged to Bell Cairn and the grade 8s from Vanwagners came to us. The Masonic hall was also used for other grades as I spent my grade 3 with Miss Tibert in the hall. I can also remember my father taking me to see the burnt out shell of the old Beach Bungalow but I was to young to know what year was.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Both schools operated at the same time when I belonged to Bell Cairn and the grade 8s from Vanwagners came to us. The Masonic hall was also used for other grades as I spent my grade 3 with Miss Tibert in the hall. I can also remember my father taking me to see the burnt out shell of the old Beach Bungalow but I was to young to know what year was.
I remember the Masonic Hall (basement) from around 1964 and it was only kindergarten back then, I didn't know they used it for other grades.
There are a few pictures in the gallery and I have posted them below.

Dec 1, 2004
Longueuil, Quebec
The bottom picture is the Beach Bungalow configuration when I went there. As I recall, when I started, Grade 1 was in the Masonic Hall, Grade 2 was in a cottage between the Hall and the Bungalow, Grades 3 and 4 were in the Bungalow, Grades 5, 6, 7 & 8 were in the brick addition. I don't think there was a kindergarden when I started in 1944 and I don't remember when the cottage disappeared.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
When I started at Bell Cairn there was no cottage and the school was brick except for the Masonic Hall. I think I started in 1953 or54.
I remember a cottage between the school and the Hall, we use to get into trouble whe we cut through the cottage property, there was a small fence. It was privately owned (or rented) back then. The cottage must of been behind the Bungalow.

Mormac

May 1, 2006
Kindergarden started about 1957 in the brick building. I also spent grade 3 or 4 in the Masonic Hall, I can't remember which. I do remember I had a broken arm and started a week late that year.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Kindergarden started about 1957 in the brick building. I also spent grade 3 or 4 in the Masonic Hall, I can't remember which. I do remember I had a broken arm and started a week late that year.
So between 57 and 64, kindergarden moved to the Masonic Hall and by then, Grades 3 & 4 had moved to basement of the main building.

Mormac

May 1, 2006
In 63 there was a science Room in the basement. I dont remember anything else down there. There were two classrooms in the gym. I dont know how long they remained. Maybe they were moved to the basement.

Top Bottom