Beach Garage Sale, has it's time come?

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
With Jimmy Lomax packing it in after fifty years, so will his yearly garage sale. Jimmy is planning on having one last sale to clear out the stuff he has collected over the years, then he will be done. So the question comes to mind on whether the time has come for the Beach to call it quits as well? If the answer is yes, then now is that time. On one side, it is a great fundraiser for groups like the Cancer Society, Canal Lighthouse Group and Jimmy Lomax for example and with the Dynes now gone, it is a day that you can walk around and meet everyone again. But it also ties the Beach up for a full day and many leave a big mess behind, Some vendors set up on front of resident homes without permission and with the lots being slowly filled in, room is getting much tighter.
Let me know what you think, should it stay or should it go?
If you would like to comment, but not on the Forum, email me at hbcf@cogeco.ca

varsr

Aug 18, 2007
We are newer to the beach but personally love sale day - great time to visit with neighbours we know and meet those we don't - and a great way to get rid of a years worth of stuff we don't need. Would hate to see it end.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Most of us have had years to get rid "the stuff we don't need", but yes, I like walking (or riding) around meeting up with everyone.
Thanks for the comments.

epiphany

Apr 13, 2010
Garage Sale

I hope the Garage Sale stays and so does my family--Its fun and is a great way to meet the neighbours and other people--its also a tourist event or could be a traditional tourist event.... As for the mess--we should all pitch in and clean our mess.... and personally I think those worried about the mess--should look at the beach and help keep that cleaned up :)

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
I had a couple of e-mails and they had the same answer;

My husband's family has lived here for over 60 years, and I know they
think of it as an annual event.

It would be sad to see it go.

Alot of people from Hamilton also, make it an annual event.

As you say, also helps with other fundraising.

I hope it keeps going.

waterlilly

Sep 22, 2007
I agree the yearly garage sale has been a fun day. Just because Mr Lomax is retiring from a great charity cause, I am sure he like others would like to see
some one carry on the the "Unique Act of Kindness" he has organized.

I would be willing to put time into a committee group to help keep a tradition going. I am sure there are others out there as well.

Also funds are raised by a group to restore the light house.

If there are others out there send me a pm, lets see what we can do to keep

The Beach Blvd special event going.

Tallman

Mar 7, 2008
I hate to be the one person who would be happy to see it end, but frankly I would. Each year we have to barricade ourselves into our home and plan our grocery shopping, etc. around this event. It takes waaay too long to get off/on the strip to go anywhere on this day, the mess that's left behind by some people is disgusting and we've had people come up to our home and ask us questions about whether or not we're selling 'this or that' that is still part of our home! (i.e. someone came up and asked if our truck was for sale, and our plants, etc..etc...). I agree it's lovely to see our neighbours, but I find that more and more 'strangers' are coming down, and not always with good intent. Sorry!!

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
I hate to be the one person who would be happy to see it end, but frankly I would. Each year we have to barricade ourselves into our home and plan our grocery shopping, etc. around this event. It takes waaay too long to get off/on the strip to go anywhere on this day, the mess that's left behind by some people is disgusting and we've had people come up to our home and ask us questions about whether or not we're selling 'this or that' that is still part of our home! (i.e. someone came up and asked if our truck was for sale, and our plants, etc..etc...). I agree it's lovely to see our neighbours, but I find that more and more 'strangers' are coming down, and not always with good intent. Sorry!!
Tallman;
No need to apologize, I started this thread to hear from both side of the topic. Thank you for you opinion and I hope to hear from more residents.:tbu:

Top Bottom